marcosffa

Newbie... is this a good outdoor setup?

For outside, around the house, twelve Samsung Security SCB-2000 600TVL Day/Night Box Camera enclosed in Samsung Security SHB-4200H IP66 Indoor/Outdoor Housing with Mounting Bracket and Heater/Blower, 16-inch

For inside, to watch the nanny, four CNB DFL-20S CNB Camera DFL-20S Monalisa Indoor Security Camera Dome (85mm) - 600TVL 3-Axis, 3.8mm Fixed Lens, 0.05LUX

All of this being recorded with Samsung Security SRD-1670DC-2TB 16 Channel DVR, 2TB, H.264, Coaxitron, D1@480FPS

Is this a good setup? Also, is there a recommended camera for recording license plates? I would like to position two cameras for capturing potential license plates of intruders.

If you have another video camera that you would recommend, please let me know!

Thank you!

Can't comment on much, I just know that Samsung isn't that well recieved around here. That said, do go with the 24VF series cameras vs the 20S, the low light performance difference is HUGE for just slightly more $.

yakky, got it! Will do the 24f.

Any input about a camera recommendation for outdoors? Also, is the DVR a good one?

I was just speaking to a friend and he says to get a DVR that feeds the footage via the internet to a cloud, so if someone takes the DVR, you still have the footage backed up online. I'm not even sure if this DVR does that, going to check now, but I am totally open to recommendations. Thank you

I'm partial to Dahua brand because they have clients for Mac and Linux and their iOS apps are pretty decent. Dahua's will push footage to a remote FTP server if you like. If it was my money I'd skip the boxed system and build my own.

Where is a good website to pick up a Dahua from? I've been trying to find them online but having a hard time for some reason. I found the Dahua website but I believe it just lists their products, and they got a TON of DVRs, I guess I don't really know where to begin.

Yes, I'd like for it to push to a FTP, that sounds really good. For outside, which CNB cameras would you recommend? Initially, I had wanted to get the BBM-24F cameras for outside but then I read a review on here saying that the CNB box cameras weren't as good as their dome counterparts and recommended against them (that particular review actually recommended opting out of the BBM-24F and going for Samsung or Bosch box cameras, which is why I ended up shopping around for a Samsung). However, I'd like to hear more reviews about the BBM-24F

Thanks for your help

vector, I actually do want them big ugly housings

I've been home invaded in the past, it was an ugly situation, luckily the police were able to arrive and a firefight ensued and resulted in all the invaders ending up dead. The invaders turned out to be serial rapists, my family avoided some life altering trauma and possibly death by sheer luck (thank God nothing happened, we were tied up and held hostage for maybe 30 minutes at most). I was a kid at the time. That was about twenty years ago.

Since then, I am thankful to have become relatively successful and have purchased a very nice and big home. Now that I have money, I know I am a target. Furthermore, since I own my own business, over the years firing employees, etc., I have received legitimate death threats in the past.

So why do I wait until now to do something about it? The game changer is that I am now married and have three adorable children, ages 2 and 8 month old twins.

I got lucky once with the first home invasion - very lucky. I don't want to push that luck.

I prefer the big ugly cameras because they are easy to spot. I want someone to look at the house and go, "damn, they got cameras". Sure, all they need is a mask but I want them to know that this house is prepared and not just another big house on the block to invade. Now that I write this, I think I'll go with a mix of some with big ugly housings and some not. Big ugly housings around the house for the whole "they got cameras" effect and some without to maybe go unnoticed if they get to the housings without being detected.

Personally, I'm not that concerned about actually getting robbed. Yes, it would suck, but I'm more into this for anti-home invasion. And if somebody does try to home invade, I would like to get their plates in case they get away (I am armed to the teeth, going for my weapon of choice, Saiga 12).

The input I have gotten so far is very helpful, thank you everyone.

And if anybody has any input to suggest for home security beyond just the cameras, I'm all ears as well. Thank you.

You should get one of these in that case. I have one for sale if your interesteed. It's a 1080P PTZ IP camera with analog out or ethernet out. It has two different IR's.

When you zoom in, the long range IR's kick in, and when you zoom out, the wide array kicks in. The clarity and colors are amazing. You can set up a guard tour or just

pan. It it definitely tells the bad guys that you mean business. It's big and mean looking.

201948_1.jpg

201948_2.jpg

And if somebody does try to home invade, I would like to get their plates in case they get away (I am armed to the teeth, going for my weapon of choice, Saiga 12).

Having worked for a couple years behind the controller on a professional system (mostly Pelco cameras), I can assure you that as far as I know, there are only three ways to get a license plate from a "regular" CCTV system.

1- you're controlling a PTZ and manage to zoom on the plate;

2- there is only one way in/out and you install a fixed camera with a good resolution, it will only be used for that purpose;

3- plain luck, that is the car moves in the right spot, at the right time with the perfect lighting, and does not move too fast (or a PTZ managed to catch the plate if it's not still).

Of course you could buy a system that is built just for that like they use at the US border or for photoradars, these will take a picture, not record a movie, so the resolution is much, much better, and I know they work well in near total darkness as well. I have no idea how much they cost though, probably a few thousands. You can also have another camera that takes a picture of the driver. And if there is a flash at night, and the driver can see it, I think he will leave in a matter of seconds!

vector, I actually do want them big ugly housings

I've been home invaded in the past, it was an ugly situation, luckily the police were able to arrive and a firefight ensued and resulted in all the invaders ending up dead. The invaders turned out to be serial rapists, my family avoided some life altering trauma and possibly death by sheer luck (thank God nothing happened, we were tied up and held hostage for maybe 30 minutes at most). I was a kid at the time. That was about twenty years ago.

Since then, I am thankful to have become relatively successful and have purchased a very nice and big home. Now that I have money, I know I am a target. Furthermore, since I own my own business, over the years firing employees, etc., I have received legitimate death threats in the past.

So why do I wait until now to do something about it? The game changer is that I am now married and have three adorable children, ages 2 and 8 month old twins.

I got lucky once with the first home invasion - very lucky. I don't want to push that luck.

I prefer the big ugly cameras because they are easy to spot. I want someone to look at the house and go, "damn, they got cameras". Sure, all they need is a mask but I want them to know that this house is prepared and not just another big house on the block to invade. Now that I write this, I think I'll go with a mix of some with big ugly housings and some not. Big ugly housings around the house for the whole "they got cameras" effect and some without to maybe go unnoticed if they get to the housings without being detected.

Personally, I'm not that concerned about actually getting robbed. Yes, it would suck, but I'm more into this for anti-home invasion. And if somebody does try to home invade, I would like to get their plates in case they get away (I am armed to the teeth, going for my weapon of choice, Saiga 12).

The input I have gotten so far is very helpful, thank you everyone.

And if anybody has any input to suggest for home security beyond just the cameras, I'm all ears as well. Thank you.

I tend to agree with the OP. I've had clients want the entire system discreet so they can catch who vitimized them. I tell them to have visible cameras that work with the esthetic of the home.That way when you are talking to your neighbors about the break in last night, you will be talking about his home and not yours. Place signage as well. Some say they don't want their home to look like a bank or they don't want to offend guests, but properly done your home won't offend anyone. I just finished a LPR project, message if you need any tips. Regards, pyro