redalert

Long-term outdoor usage of Cat5e without conduit

If I run Cat5e cables without conduit but protected under siding should I be concerned with long-term degradation and reliability? Would rg59 be the better option?

5 years, no issues. 10... I dunno. The big thing is sunlight, that will destroy the cable faster than the temp swings and rain.

If I run Cat5e cables without conduit but protected under siding should I be concerned with long-term degradation and reliability? Would rg59 be the better option?

3 years here...and it is regular cat5 running up the outside of the house. Still works like a charm; is getting faded though

They do have direct burial and cables with UV protection. In Texas the UV and intense heat will make regular cables brittle very quickly.

Like I said, it's going to go under vinyl siding so UV won't be an issue though I suppose moisture might.

If you can work the wire under the siding you will be okay. Like I said, Cat5 has been exposed for a while now in all sorts of Pennsylvania weather. Other runs around the house are in conduit but I never got around to placing the run up the side in it. Besides, if you have problems you know what needs to be done.

The best solution is the outdoor rated cable even if the uv does not get it any water getting inside can cause a problem the outdoor stuff has a gel filling the blocks water from wicking through the cable. Painting the cable might help with the uv problem but wont help if there is a break in the jacket.