CCTVDude

Geovision & Modem Access

I have to setup a Geo 650-8 w/ Dial-up modem access untill DSL is availible. I've never set one up w/ a modem so any tips are appreciated!

I don't have one of the tested modems, but I was going to try with a USR external and a default init string and work from there...

Input is welcome!!!

It will be way too slow for the browser software by the way, unless you are going to get a 128mbps modem (which will still be very slow)

You may get away with the MultiCam client software though.

Rory

That has to be a typo. 128mbps is extremely fast, you must mean 128Kbps or KBps It's close to 4 am there so you must be tired or I am. Actually I know I am.

How fast a connection would it take to get some type of usable frame rate at the remote pc for 8 cameras that were recorded using the Geo Codec

yeah my bad, 128kbps

lets put it this way, 4 cameras on 256kbps is decent, 128kbps with 4 cameras is slow and can cause alot of error messages with the default Geo Browser software, which is why with my custom software I handle alot of those errors, and i use delays which tends to get around those errors, at least as low as 96kbs upload we have with DSL here with one account, which only connects if I tell it that there are 4 cameras, and even so, it takes a long time to connect. The site never loads on the browser software at all.

ive also been able to load 30 cameras from a single site with multiple connections in a 30 way multi view, with a 256Kbps set upload speed at the site.

But the Geo browser based control just doesnt handle connections well, like others I have used. In other words, its a slow activeX. The Multi Cam loads it differently all together which is why I said that would work for sure.

Rory

yeah my bad, 128kbps

lets put it this way, 4 cameras on 256kbps is decent, 128kbps with 4 cameras is slow and can cause alot of error messages with the default Geo Browser software, which is why with my custom software I handle alot of those errors, and i use delays which tends to get around those errors, at least as low as 96kbs upload we have with DSL here with one account, which only connects if I tell it that there are 4 cameras, and even so, it takes a long time to connect. The site never loads on the browser software at all.

ive also been able to load 30 cameras from a single site with multiple connections in a 30 way multi view, with a 256Kbps set upload speed at the site.

But the Geo browser based control just doesnt handle connections well, like others I have used. In other words, its a slow activeX. The Multi Cam loads it differently all together which is why I said that would work for sure.

Rory

So for best results use the multicam and obviously monitor 1 cam at a time? What frame rate should I expect. At 640x480 is 1 frame every 2-3 seconds realistic?

Also, what should I expect using a USR? Anyone had any success with it?

For anyone keeping score at home:

We used an older external USR V.92 (model 5686) and it works perfect. A solid connection every time and about a frame every 2 seconds.

We have used the Best Data (SupraMax V.92 External Serial Modem) with success as well for modem to modem connections, as well as hotline/alert conditions. Modem to modem is terrible for video related applications, but works for the text log information fine.

Overall, if the customer can afford the DVR and the remote applications are of any importance to them, then they can find the extra 50 bucks a month for broadband. It is like buying a Mercedes and then complaining about gas prices increasing by a dime per gallon, just makes no logical sense.

Scottj

The modem was a stop gap until DSL is availible in his area. BellSouth has been saying 'in 3 months' for about 6 months now...

Yeah I can understand that, as we have run into that situation before. We just tell the customer that Modem connection for video feed is not possible...period. If they complain, then we ask them "What did you do before Satellite TV was available when you couldn't get cable TV??"

Sometimes things are just beyond our control. If we all could control DSL/Cable availability, we wouldn't be here in a forum talking about this, we would be on a private island sipping Mai Tai's while being fanned with coconut leaves by the Tropicana Swimsuit Team.

Scottj

We sold the system 6 months ago and the customer was planning to wait the '3 months' until DSL was availible.

So now 6 months later and still a 'in 3 months' answer he said what are my other options. So we said that a modem was cheap but would suck and he went for it. He is actually happy b/c it doesn't suck as bad as we warned him it would.

In case you got confused, suck is a highly techincal term.

Yep we use that term often, sometimes we even modify to be even more specific if needed...haha

Well, if you need some technical documentaion for setting up various modem connections let me know, I can send you links to download the PDF's from our FTP site. We have lots of information for various connectivity issues regarding the Geo systems and its feature/function capability. Oh and by the way, our documents are in clear English, not straight from Taiwan and lost in translation.

Scottj

I got a client with 96kbps DSL and I dont even bother connecting anymore, just toooo slow.

Are they still offering that service?

I thought that was long gone.

Looks like they are. 128k is still way better than 56k.

they are cheap, id imagine that costs $$, they dont seem to even be interested in watching it remotely .. ohh well

They are also just 1 block from the Cable company, yet they have no cable there!!

With Internet Connectivity, there are 2 things; upload speed and download speed. For a Geo server, the main thing is upload speed. Many DSL and satellite lines give insulting upload speeds.

You can do a test at:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/BandwidthUp.asp

In my opinion anything at least 50-60k is usable. 1Mbps or more is ideal. However, if you bandwidth is that weak, make sure to cap the number of channels serving in the Geo software so you dont choke your upload.

I like testing speeds online, but I don't like the link you sent b/c requires installing an app.

This is the one we use. I'm sure it's not prefectly accurate, but a good rough estimate.

http://performance.toast.net/

Does anyone use any other online speed tests?

Yeah, but many of those test just check download speed. You need to make sure you are checking the upload speed from the server.

You are right. That is why I like this site because it does measure upload speed.

Also you’re able to choose a server that is closest to you for a more accurate test.

I didn't find it.

I was told about it in another thread from someone else.

That is one of the things I learned from here.

Thanks for the compliment though.