voip-ninja

Recommended budget/residential NVR software?

Hello all,

My frustration level with Synology is approaching the boiling point. They have left many issues unaddressed for quite some time and the latest thing with them is that they have broken Mac support for live viewing due to them not getting away from Java.

So, here's my question... what would be the best budget/residential NVR software (or appliance) that supports the following;

1. Supports cameras like Axis, Samsung, Vivotek.

2. Supports remote viewing over the internet with a browser (embedded web server)

3. Supports iOS devices (iPad, etc)

Software cost is less than $400 for a license that supports recording up to six channels of 720P or 1280X1024 video.

Recommendations?

Try BlueIris, not bad for $50. They don't have smartphone apps, but to me, a smartphone app is a crutch for not having wide browser support. For example, I can watch my cameras via BlueIris on Safari on my iPad. They support a wide variety of cameras and if they don't support one, Ken will add it quickly if you give him access to your camera.

I already have Blue Iris, it has way too many limitations to me, such as not being able to use a camera's on-board motion detection features.

There's very few software NVRs that do this and their problem is very limited camera support. Probably the most common is ExacqVison. Their low end Start version is $50/camera. Download the trial version and see if it works for your cameras. I've had it support some Axis, some not. Also, there's an annual fee, if you don't pay, you don't get updates and as you add new model cameras, you'll want the updates.

The Avigilon zealots here will tell you that it does this, but it's close to double the price of Exacq, but don't believe they have an annual charge so it may be cheaper in the long term. They can probably get you a 30 day trial to test it.

What about Milestone, have you tried it? It has a dedicated iPad/iPhone application as well as supporting most commonly available NVR type features.

I tried the free version, GO, even with Axis cameras, it didn't do what you wanted, but I didn't get too deep with it. Try it out. You can download GO or their full version and see if it does what you want. Caution, the pay version is not cheap.

I am playing with the Go version now. Setup is a little more involved, but being an IT guy it's really not that big of a deal. Looks like the next level up is $199 for a four camera license.

The only feature I immediately see that is not available in the Go version is access to recordings older than 5 days old.

That's good to know, thanks.

The Go version allows free access for up to eight cameras. I guess it's really a question of what features are needed wanted.

Synology actually does nearly everything I want it to do, the problem is that the Synology mobile software is a PITA (frequent crashes/disconnects) and I am unable to use their web client when I'm at my company office, due to a combination of their reliance on Java, as well as some firewall issues.

Funny I never have any problems with Avigilon crashing or camera connection issues

That's nice. However Avigilon is probably not the best choice for someone like myself looking for a small, relatively inexpensive residential setup.

It's also worth noting that Synology itself has never crashed on me. The problem is really with their mobile and web clients.

Edited by Guest

Check out Luxriot. I quickly checked their manual and they can record video after an alarm event. Not sure on pricing but a quick google revealed $400 for their pro version (9 cameras). I've never tried it but seen in recomended on various forums. They also make NVR devices.

LuxRiot looks rather similar to Blue Iris, but I will take a look at it.

I have Milestone setup and it works pretty well, but I am having some issues gaining remote internet access to it from my work VPN.

The mobile client is pretty slick too.

I hear you can downgrade the Synology Firmware, maybe as a temporary solution? I used their built in web server to create a basic web page which has all my camera's live view on it - it loads quite quickly.

I have to say, I tried the Avigilon CC software and it is quite nice. Runs smoothly, very intuitive, but like you said the price is likely not economical for home installations.

It's a tough call at work. Can you use remote connectivity software, like LogMeIn, VNC or GoToMyPC? The beauty of GoToMyPC is that's is from Citrix, a long time maker of such software and many companies allow GoTo products through their network because it's popular for conference software like GoToMeeting.

Well, it turns out I can't even get Milestone to function properly on Safari right on my local LAN, so until I sort that out I don't have to worry about the work stuff.

The one saving grace for Blue Iris is that the simple web server always worked wonderfully at the office with no fuss, no muss.

However it left loads to be desired in the mobile browser department, the ability to play back recordings, as well as just generally horrendous video quality.

Unfortunately after this little experiment I might still be stuck with Synology.

I hear you can downgrade the Synology Firmware, maybe as a temporary solution? I used their built in web server to create a basic web page which has all my camera's live view on it - it loads quite quickly.

I have to say, I tried the Avigilon CC software and it is quite nice. Runs smoothly, very intuitive, but like you said the price is likely not economical for home installations.

I don't think it's a firmware issue with Synology. Mobile clients disconnect constantly, especially if using H264 video. Maybe it's better with MJPEG.

From my office I cannot access the Synology web page, I can access it from other internet sites (like my wife's office) so it appears to be some kind of configuration/firewall issue between the office network (which is a corporate network which I have no control over).

I have asked the guys at Synology why they can't offer a stripped down mobile web server that does not use Java and at least allows for real-time viewing, they say that they are aware of the issues.

I'm honestly not sure if they are really aware of how poorly their applications are working right now.

I ended up uninstalling Milestone for the moment, although I am tempted to get an inexpensive box to run it on and see what I can do with it.

I was having some issues with using their access client on machines other than the host. I suspect some kind of buggy problem with using non-standard ports for this (my box was already using port 80 for something else).

I might try to install it again if I can scrape up some more hardware... the mobile client is pretty neat.

It did seem sketchy about access to the Samsung cams though, I did not dig into things enough to find out how big of an issue it really is.

Vivotec is not on the Avigilon supported list otherwise I would tell you to contact wireguys about an Avigilon Core license.

Core is limited to 16 cameras but is very affordable.

I run it at my house.

Yes Avigilon upgrades are free unless they have a MAJOR upgrade like they are in early 2013. Worst case scenario it costs 1 license per server to upgrade. The Avigilon 5.0 upgrade will be like upgrading your Windows PC from XP to 7. That wouldn't be free from Microsoft either.

Vivotec is not on the Avigilon supported list otherwise I would tell you to contact wireguys about an Avigilon Core license.

I run it at my house.

Yes Avigilon upgrades are free unless they have a MAJOR upgrade like they are in early 2013. Worst case scenario it costs 1 license per server to upgrade. The Avigilon 5.0 upgrade will be like upgrading your Windows PC from XP to 7. That wouldn't be free from Microsoft either.

I am already planning on replacing the Vivotek with an Axis P3364-VE 6mm. What does the core license cost? Also, do they provide their own mobile app?

Cost of a 4-channel license for Milestone is about $199 and supports connections from 5 simultaneous viewers. Each additional camera is $50 and it can go up to 26 cameras. Their mobile app is really really good and the mobile application is actually a pretty easy setup.

I gave up on the install because I was having some problems getting a couple of their applications working on my network, but I might take another whack at it later today.

I run it at my house.

I am already planning on replacing the Vivotek with an Axis P3364-VE 6mm. What does the core license cost? Also, do they provide their own mobile app?

Cost of a 4-channel license for Milestone is about $199 and supports connections from 5 simultaneous viewers. Each additional camera is $50 and it can go up to 26 cameras. Their mobile app is really really good and the mobile application is actually a pretty easy setup.

I gave up on the install because I was having some problems getting a couple of their applications working on my network, but I might take another whack at it later today.

I don't know the rules well enough to answer that. Contact Wireguys.

I ended up uninstalling Milestone for the moment, although I am tempted to get an inexpensive box to run it on and see what I can do with it.

I was having some issues with using their access client on machines other than the host. I suspect some kind of buggy problem with using non-standard ports for this (my box was already using port 80 for something else).

Check your PM

I thought buellwinkle was going to post a review of the Avigilon software on his blog? I'm also looking for a good NVR solution for small residential installs.

Could one of the Avigilon reps PM me with pricing info and a way for me to try out the software? Much thanks!

I thought buellwinkle was going to post a review of the Avigilon software on his blog? I'm also looking for a good NVR solution for small residential installs.

Could one of the Avigilon reps PM me with pricing info and a way for me to try out the software? Much thanks!

Check you PM