SeanMort

Camera on forklift

Anyone ever had to install a remote camera onto a forklift ?

A customer asked me to explore the feasability of installing a remote camera onto each of three forklifts that operate inside a logistics warehouse. The warehouse has several rows of 4M high metal and wood shelving racks and is about 80M x 80M in area inside with a metal sheeting construction all round. The idea is that the camera will monitor the forklift activity (to validate claims of deliberate damage to palleted goods) and send the signal back real-time via wireless to open channels on an existing GE StoreSafe DVR (which is not the way I think it's going to work). I absolutely hate using wireless in this situation (borne out by past years of frustration) and short of installing a small secure onboard 1ch DVR I have to consider the wireless alternatives. I am thinking along the lines of an IP cam with a WiFi link and multiple AP's in the warehouse with external antennas, but I dunno ... Suggestions anyone ??

Oh, and I intend the cameras to be streamed to a separate server based solution for recording/review if possible. I have access to the Axiz products but it's $$$ over here. My primary problem is the reliable transmission side of things.

Off topic, but interesting you mention forklifts... a forklift operator was just killed down the street today by one. It fell over on him as he was working outside and tried to get out of the way.

Multiple AP will probably have to be your best bet for this application, and using that toshiba camera would be your best bet since is already ready for wifi, and it's priced really nice compared to other similar solutions out there.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. The power will come off the forklift into another buffer supply for the gear. I'm now thinking about putting an onboard 1ch DVR in a really secure vib-proof box and then the customer can interrogate the DVR remotely via WiFi when they need instead of having the video streaming constantly with possible inconsistency (and the customer breathing down my neck).

Past experience tells me not to create "spaceships" that don't fly so well and need some major tinkering to get off the ground !! It's gotta work first time ..

We have used some single channel dvrs in schoolbuses and they are pretty reliable and rugged. These units have removable harddrives and only get pulled when they want to view and incident.

Finally decided to quote on an embedded 4ch version very similar to the APPRO unit. It has a purpose built lockable vibration proof box, 12 - 30V DC input supply, 12V DC cam supply and removable HDD with W-Lan & viewing software. We've decided to use 3 cameras instead of 1 because we really need to see the drivers actions/activity, the lower reach operations and also the upper reach operations up to 9M high. So were going to use bullet cameras mounted into/onto a custom metal bracket for ruggedness, discarding the normal bullet camera mounting brackets. Lets see what happens .... thanks guys for your input !!