luxury1

Equipment Quote

I received the below quote from a Pittsburgh based vendor for the equipment and installation of a camera system. They quoted me $7,269.00. I know that people aren't supposed to talk about prices but I want to know if this is a fair deal? Also, if someone would PM me and tell me what the equipment alone might cost???

One (1) DX1104-080 Pelco digital video recorder with the following features:

• 4 inputs for fixed cameras

• software for playing back video and audio on a PC

• 80gb hard drive for video storage

• quad camera display for live viewing while recording

2. One (1) PMCL15A 15â€

What kind of application is this going to be installed. Warehouse, Storefront, etc...

How much of that was for install?

Is that the right model number for the cameras?

I did a search on that number and didn't come up with anything.

I am on pelco's web site and I don't see that model jumping out at me anywhere?

you'd be smarter, and fair, to get 2 more quotes from your local area. Then compare them. The national average for a camera install was 1300 per camera....BUT, area and cost of living makes a huge difference in how much to charge/pay

And, ask for a detailed quote. If they are good they will provide it with no problems, and, you should get a detailed anyway so that you are aware of the equipment/quality BEFORE you agree.

I am not affraid to provide more when requested and I don't mind if I am compared to others. My rep preceeds me and my prices are fair. Everyone else seems to be affraid of my style but I don't care because there are lots of installers out there to play against each other. Go for it.

oh, and it goes beyond the total price. Warranty? Follow on support is free for the first year, parts and labor? 24/7 repair hotline? REFERENCES? Turn around time to repair? Many issues you need tolook at before you say the price is high or low. Hidden costs?

I honestly think that it's a lot. I mean, for a home use, and only 4 cameras? I can honestly think of couple of configurations that could be used, and that probably get better results anyway. That Pelco DVR is not that great.

I was after a decent dome camera with an auto iris. I was hoping that it would be under $5K but... I am really at a loss here in Pittsburgh. It seems that there is nothing cheaper from anyone that is willing to get back to me with a quote. Crazy! Can someone give me a better DVR recommendation that is cheaper but better than the Pelco?

The Pelco model you mention is a very basic PC based unit. Finding something better at a much reduced price will be easy. Few questions to ask are:

1.) Do you want a PC Based unit?

2.) What FPS rate are looking to achieve per video channel, and at what resolution?

3.) What feature are the most important to you for your system? (Remote Access, PDA Viewing, Smartphone, Basic Recording?

Just a few things to decide for you. We can help you find something well within your budget.

Scottj

My big requirements are pretty straightforward. Basic DVR recording (80GB is fine), 4 outdoor dome with auto iris, ability to connect into 2 TV's and a 15" flat panel is really all I'm after.

Find out what the labour cost is first before we discuss prices.

Or ... explain how the labour is, to run the cable for the 4 cameras, is trenching involved, distances, etc?

Rory

Domestic systems are usually more expensive than commercial installations due to the working conditions which cost time.

When you are working in a persons home you are expected to treat everything with more care than a retail / commercial install where you have false ceilings etc.

I cannot coment on the equipment used etc as I am not in the US but I have instilled in my staff the need for a different work attitude in domestic installs & as such my domestic prices are up a little on my commercial installs.

explain the labour...is trenching involved, distances, etc?

Rory

The work will be done when the house is being built (after framing). The distances are relatively short as it is only a 3,000 square foot house total and the equipment is somewhat central.

Installation::

Do you have a general idea of how the cable can be run? Do you have attic space, is the house a split level, single storey, or other? Are the cameras going on the main house, or are some going to be placed off the house, like at the gate, or somewhere they would have to trench and run conduit?

If you at all dont feel comfortable installing it yourself, please contact a local installer, get some references of jobs they have done in the past, and let them know what you feel you need, make recommendations to them, OR, let them know you have your parts, give them the product names only, if they look like they are lost, then move onto another installer.

DVR::

That DVR is low res, 320x240, for the price i would look at an alternative, either a PC based System with an LCD monitor, or a stand alone such as the GE StoreSafe, or Sanyo. You could either run a cable to your main TV to view on the AV input, or split it up with something like a 4 channel distribution amp to view on the AV input of 4 TVs, or, you could get an RF modulator and tie into your cable TV line, and set it up on a channel, or multiple channels, eg. 69-114. All these are inexpensive and makes life easier, im surprised it wasnt mentioned for a residential install?

Cameras::

I noticed color cameras were quoted. Do you have enough light for color cameras? If not, then you may want to look at either True Day Night cameras, or BW to save some money. I would stick with domes, though the price would drop some if you were to use Bullet cameras. If any areas are pitch dark, or near pitch dark, you may want to look at Infrared, such as the Extreme CCTV gear (the price you were quoted could almost be using Extreme CCTV gear anyway)

There are also a lot of dealers on the forum that can assist with pricing.

Good luck.

Rory

If the work is to be done when the house is under construction then the domestic markup that I mentioned above doesn't really count.

Rory is right about modulating the system to a TV channel.

Maybe a good idea to run some extra cables from the dvr location to the attic to allow for any future expansion that may be needed.

Thanks!

Installation::

"Do you have a general idea of how the cable can be run? I think it could

Do you have attic space, is the house a split level, single storey, or other?"

Answer: It is a two story house and all cameras will be outside the exits.

Cameras:

"I noticed color cameras were quoted. Do you have enough light for color cameras?"

Answer: I think because there are going to be motion detectors at night.