eyecu

Need Advise

I asked in the past, a similar question. Time has past and now the client is back in the picrure and needs to know the following for the WJ-HD316A/500

16 Channel Digital Recorder, 500GB

"Does the manufacturer support web browser access on a Mac? The device itself seems fine. There is no way to contact Apple to ascertain the answer to this. The simplest way would be to get a test account to access through my computer. Can this be arranged? Before I commit to a large capital outlay for this project, I need to know I will have remote access."

Does any know if this DVR will work for MAC and woll he ba able to have remote access?

I am going to take a stab at this one and say the answer is no. I am not 100%, but finding DVR's out there that do support browser view through MAC is sometimes difficult although I have seen a unit or two. There was another member who knew this topic inside and out when dealing with MAC, it may have been Thomas from Video Insight. Chime in Thomas, you are on the stage.......

Scottj

does it use server push (javascript), or activeX?

Server push, yes. ActiveX, probably no.

There are three ways to approch a web viewer. One is to use an ActiveX Control, the second is to use a Java app, and the third is to use something like PHP or ASP and make it a server side app.

The activeX control can give slightly better frame rates (1 to 2 fps) and a bit more flexability in layouts. You can also build in access to the DVR Controls. To me that's a doube edged sword. Giving the ability to alter settings remotely over an untrusted connect makes me nervous. The downside is that you can only view on IE/Windows. It can make it tough for the end user if they are trying to view from work and the admin doesn't allow ActiveX to be installed.

The Java app has the advantages of the ActiveX controls with none of it's downsides in theory. It's downside is that programing speed for Java is doable, but it's a black art that 70% of Java programers have no clue how to do.

The server side app has the advantages of compatability. You aren't tied to one OS or browser. You also end up with less issues due to latency or streaming buffers. The downside is less control over the DVR.

I perfer the last one but that's also the method that we use here.

Video Insight .. maybe Sanyo also. Look for Server Push, when you are viewing the browser video it is refreshing the images.

Hmm.. the AVTech new series CPCAM's client works off Java Applet.

That'll most likely enable MAC user to view and control the DVR.

e.g. CPD-507.

But then again, there's nothing much to shout about for their Network fetures. Personally I don't really like java application. Takes too much resources to run. Save the trouble on the programmer side as in only write one application and will run where there is JVM. but if you normally are on entirelly wintel based machine, there's no point running java and basically same application with same function will takes more resources to run on a jvm.

Essentially the same as running window emulation on mac. Imagine doing that everytime you want to run any program.