Im sure you guys get new people all the time asking basic questions. I really have tried to read this board and research everything before I ask questions, but I honestly think Im more confused than ever. There is entirely too much stuff on the market and most of it seems to be garbage.

After reading this site and networkcameracritic I have all but decided I could be happy with 2-3 Dahua 2.0mp bullet cameras and a 4 channel PoE NVR but Im having trouble finding places that sell them for a fair price. Everywhere I look people have the prices jacked sky high.

Would this even be a good system? Or should I look at other products? What NVRs does everyone recommend? Where do you guys buy your components?

Great 1st post. I think you would be very happy with your plan. As far as places to buy, check out http://empiresecuritycameras.com Good luck !

Im sure you guys get new people all the time asking basic questions. I really have tried to read this board and research everything before I ask questions, but I honestly think Im more confused than ever. There is entirely too much stuff on the market and most of it seems to be garbage.

After reading this site and networkcameracritic I have all but decided I could be happy with 2-3 Dahua 2.0mp bullet cameras and a 4 channel PoE NVR but Im having trouble finding places that sell them for a fair price. Everywhere I look people have the prices jacked sky high.

Would this even be a good system? Or should I look at other products? What NVRs does everyone recommend? Where do you guys buy your components?

I second that website. They reply to their emails 24 hours a day, quick shipping, and great product support.

Everything on the site is 1000 - that normal? Or they just put that there to get "you through the door" ?

They want you to register and log in. Once you click on a single item, the price will appear. And the best part is,

the more you buy, the less money each item is.

So they can send you emails when they run sales or promos and make more money. Making more money doesn't sound weird to me. They're not asking for your social security or credit card, just a name, password and email. Didn't you register to be a member here??? You didn't think that was weird?

I deal with that site a lot, and have been super pleased with the customer service and communication. I actually contacted them a while back and now special order all my analog cameras from them as I need a design that is not standard for them so they don't stock it. I have ordered well over 200 analog cameras from them now I believe.

They used to have a catalog, and no prices at all online, but they recently changed to the new site. I still just email directly them for my orders actually. I would recommend Empire as a place to purchase for sure.

Why would a site make you register with all your personal info just to browse their products. Sorry, but that's weird.

You can browse their products but to see acurate pricing you must log in which means you must first register. It looks like their pricing is driven by purchase volume so that is why you must log in since that pricing is variable.

There is a hardware store in my area that sell items by part number since everyone that walks through the door pays a different price. It is annoying since you cannot see the price on anything until you checkout, but that is just how it works.

They have, relatively speaking, a handful a things they carry. Unless the floodgates open if you register. When I saw the *fields to register, you had to give your home address too. Now maybe I'm being pissy or just not in a the mood, but my name, my email, phone number, and my home address to see some price tags on about 25 or so pieces of product? Nah, there's plenty more sites that have great support and prices without busting mt nuts to give out that info. I'll be happy to give that info if I make a purchase, but not just to see some prices.

There is a hardware store in my area that sell items by part number since everyone that walks through the door pays a different price. It is annoying since you cannot see the price on anything until you checkout, but that is just how it works.

Uh, I'd be shopping elsewhere.

I signed up to Empire's site. I still have to call for prices... this is ridiculous... Does anyone actually want to sell products and make money anymore?

They have, relatively speaking, a handful a things they carry. Unless the floodgates open if you register. When I saw the *fields to register, you had to give your home address too. Now maybe I'm being pissy or just not in a the mood, but my name, my email, phone number, and my home address to see some price tags on about 25 or so pieces of product? Nah, there's plenty more sites that have great support and prices without busting mt nuts to give out that info. I'll be happy to give that info if I make a purchase, but not just to see some prices.

You are right, if you aren't going to buy anything and just want to view their pricing then registering your home address does not make sense.

I personally have had a bad experience with that site. They shipped the wrong item and then got pissy and refused to send me the correct camera. Have you checked this place - http://hdsecuritystore.com/index.php?cPath=3_54&osCsid=p5dsafh219r3jddudkq0rrskd3

What they all do is buy in countries where Dahua cameras are allowed to be sold and then resell them in the U.S., so caveat emptor, there's no Dahua factory warranty or support on any Dahua cameras in the U.S. If you want real support and service, consider Q-See, an authorized importer of Dahua cameras. One trick Dahua is doing now is not shipping NTSC cameras to other countries. Existing camera models are OK since NTSC firmware is out already, but newer cameras are more difficult to get in NTSC. I think Dahua branded cameras in the U.S. is a dead end investment. Even Empire is switching to another Chinese brand that they've been touting on another forum.

Have you seen Costco.com Swann setup? It's 4 1080P bullets and an 8 channel NVR for $899.

Report this post

You can show everyone street price and then everyone already knows their discount level. Much simpler.

There is entirely too much stuff on the market and most of it seems to be garbage.

I see posts like this here and there and always expect it to be followed up with a non Chinese brand but it never does???

I imagine Empire is loving the new brand more because they've been slapped by Dahua for not following the rules more than from any huge jump in performance. What're they going to do, jump ship and then say they're selling 2nd rate equipment now?

I personally have had a bad experience with that site. They shipped the wrong item and then got pissy and refused to send me the correct camera. Have you checked this place - http://hdsecuritystore.com/index.php?cPath=3_54&osCsid=p5dsafh219r3jddudkq0rrskd3

What they all do is buy in countries where Dahua cameras are allowed to be sold and then resell them in the U.S., so caveat emptor, there's no Dahua factory warranty or support on any Dahua cameras in the U.S. If you want real support and service, consider Q-See, an authorized importer of Dahua cameras. One trick Dahua is doing now is not shipping NTSC cameras to other countries. Existing camera models are OK since NTSC firmware is out already, but newer cameras are more difficult to get in NTSC. I think Dahua branded cameras in the U.S. is a dead end investment. Even Empire is switching to another Chinese brand that they've been touting on another forum.

Have you seen Costco.com Swann setup? It's 4 1080P bullets and an 8 channel NVR for $899.

Seems too good to be true. Any experience with Swann or those cameras?

What do you have to lose, Costco 90 day return policy if you don't like it.

Kawboy, that would be my concern. Dahua is getting stricter and my sources in China are drying up. If he drops Dahua in favor of the other brand, which I believe is IPSCam, how will he support/service his Dahua customer base? But seriously, the only reason for Dahua is price and there's been some new competitors that are less expensive and come from companies that want to do business in the U.S. like IPSCam and Aote so why fight the uphill battle?

Could a person say for the sake of conversation that the Swann 1080p 30fps camera would be similar in performance to the dahua ipc-hdb3200c mini dome? (which is also 1080p @ 30fps) The sample videos from the minidome on your site look very nice.

Edited by Guest

It'd be a shame to see Empire abandon all of the Dahuas they've put out there. Wonder what their warranty period was? I'd like to see how good the newer, hopefully cheaper, line of cams works at night. Also, I wonder how good the NVRs are?

You have any more inexpensive Chinese solutions on the review block?

Could a person say for the sake of conversation that the Swann 1080p 30fps camera would be similar in performance to the dahua ipc-hdb3200c mini dome? (which is also 1080p @ 30fps) The sample videos from the minidome on your site look very nice.

No.

There are lots of finicky little details in IP cam performance, and firmware features and functionality are critical.

Dahua's not exactly top-end in their firmware performance and support, but they're better than many of the no-name Chinese cams. I know their limitations, and live with them for the relatively low price.

I wouldn't buy the Swann system without seeing some reviews by experienced users (the Costco users generally don't fall into this category), unless I wanted to do the testing and supply the info to the community. I like to do that kind of thing, but not usually with stuff this expensive. So far, there are only guesses as to who makes the system, and that's a key piece of info.

I'm looking forward to seeing someone's review of this gear.

It'd be a shame to see Empire abandon all of the Dahuas they've put out there. Wonder what their warranty period was? I'd like to see how good the newer, hopefully cheaper, line of cams works at night. Also, I wonder how good the NVRs are?

You have any more inexpensive Chinese solutions on the review block?

I spoke with Kyle at Empire today and he informed me they have no plans on leaving Dahua. They are a big seller and they

have a good relationship with Dahua.

As far as registering for their website, he said Dahua does not allow prices to be displayed on websites unless a customer

registers first. They are following Dahua's rules, not making their own as far as that goes.

They've got a great relationship yet apparently have no stock? Dahua must've run out of cameras?? I'd be pulling my hair out if I ran out of stuff to sell. Maybe it's got something to do with Chinese holidays, new product releases, and possibly a poorly run supply chain? Something's not running on all cylinders, whatever it is.

As far as registering for their website, he said Dahua does not allow prices to be displayed on websites unless a customer

registers first. They are following Dahua's rules, not making their own as far as that goes.

Fine, but home address and phone number is over the top for anything but purchasing.