Sign in to follow this  
washmaster

wanted: remote viewing w/o software

Looking for 4Ch DVR with remote internet viewing capabilites that doesn't require loading of any software. WHy? I want to be able to view my locations using a WI-FI enabled PDA or Smartphone. Most of these smartphones use Symbian, Palm OS, or soon Microsoft Mobile 5.0. I don't need elaborate controls, just viewing. I can load whatever viewing software on my home PC, but that doesn't help me any when I'm out and about town.

The Geo PC based DVR solution will support your needs for viewing from Symbian, PDA, or i-Mode phones.

Scottj

"burned" as in how? Bad delaer experience, or just lack of knowledge on how the system was built? Just a little curious to get feedback.

Scottj

Poor image quality. Slow frame rate. Unstable platform. Eventual motherboard failure. I was younger and dumber then and didn't know really what to look for.

Oh ok, then you are referring to the PC based systems of the past completely. If anything, todays PC based market typically offer higher resolutions (image quality), improves framerates (30 FPS per channel available recording), Stability has improved over the days of Win98se and 2000 based system by means of XP platform, even Linux which is very stable depending on what models/brands. System board failure was certainly more probably in the older systems before the new geometry technology that we have today. Whether PC or embedded, both forms are open for a system failure (and HDD failures).

In today's market the choice of which to use is determined more on what the application demands are placed on the project. I personally like both types of DVR technology as they both have their place in the market.

Things to look for in both types primarily are the same. Good support/documentation, high quality video, reliability, and probably the key driver being cost. Everyone wants Mercedes quality video, but may only wish to spend the KIA budget of course. With so many models avaialable on the market today, choosing a system can be a headache, especially to an end user or someone newer to the CCTV world. This forum is a very good resource for asking any question you can think of, as there are many helpful experience people on here that can point you in a positive direction to your final goal.....Finding the system YOU need and want....

Scottj

I used Stand Alone EMbedded RTOS DVRs for over 4 years, I switched this year primarily to PC based, for several reasons (i still sell the stand alones low and high end units, when i need to):

Self Upgradable Hardware

Real Time Live and Recording Rates, in high quality

Higher Quality Evidence Sharing

Not all PC cards will give you this, it depends what you spend, and what you buy, same goes for a stand alone DVR, not all are made alike. Also, something that is generally true for all PC and Non PC DVRs, the cost is in the software.

do you guys ever get that creepy de ja voux feel? Man lets not go down this road again!

Ok ya know it.....................Mace

their remote video is active x enabled. No software

well.. you can try the Avtech new line of video server.

Runs on Java applet. Also software.

Tried on opera browser, it works.

It also support viewing on handphone that support J2EE mindlets.

The CPD570's one 16 channels DVR that has this build in. going for ard USD$xxxx here in singapore.

The video server am not too sure of the price, have to check it out.

It's new yet so I have seen it in the market except hearing from avtech that it'll be out soon.

The older video server runs on activex.

But personally, imho, if you running primary window OS, get something that run on activex. Don't bother with java. It takes so much more resources that it slow the whole machine. I've tried the older AVTech video server (activex) and the newer one (java)(on CPD507). On my machine, the activex one works perfectly fine, but the Java's slow down the whole machine, and takes forever to be up and running. sometimes it also hang my machine. I changed to a faster machine, it works better. But java interface's laggier.

From my expereice, it's better to go for standalone. much safer. Am staying away from window based system.

Had encounter with window based system from kodicom (fully assembled and shipped from kodicom, not those pirated self assembled one), that also develope problem over time and get slower and slower to startup and resume, and record. I believe that's inheritantly the Window OS problem. When harddisk goes down, and it does more and more frequently with the substandard products coming from all the major harddisk manufacturer, it's just going to be a pain in the ass using pc based system that has the OS installed on the same harddisk. Get it back up and running will take so much longer. I rather those standalone system. yank out the existing harddisk, replace a new one, and plug it back in to get it up and running again. No OS to reinstall, no testing to be made. 5 mins is all it takes.

[edit by mod - please only retail end user pricing]