Q2U

Installing your cameras

I'm a camera newb, but I'm also a business owner (with a very small budget) so sometimes I have to DIY. I figured how hard could installing IP cameras in our warehouse be? So I climbed into a JLG sizzor-lift and installed some cameras. Although I was pleased with the results the job was none-to-fun; filthy, dirty hard work is a better description. Although I have a lot of experience with networking and running Cat5e cable this job is better entrusted to a professional installer. Camera placement is another issue. All I could afford is 2MP cheapo Costco Swann bullets and Dahua 2MP domes and I think that the correct placement of these cameras is critical; I'm not so certain I got the optimal placement correct the first time.

So hats off to the professional CCTV installers. They have a heckuva tough job and the next time someone rips them for charging "too much" I'm gonna chime in with an emphatic WTFDYK.

220015_1.jpg

The labor of installing is tough, without question. I'm a DIY'er as well and I have been in some tough spots- literally. Not the fun part by any means. I've also installed a commercial building for a family member and I learned a lot there too, using 2mp domes. Understanding what you need to see will dictate how big a system you need, and how labor intensive it's gonna be installing it. Professionals will understand what the client needs to see and which cameras best deliver the proper FOV's, as well as handle the lighting conditions. If the installer is good, the end result won't fall short. They'll understand exactly what the client needs to best see what they want to see. And by educating the client- usually explaining why a single camera won't deliver the proper results for a given FOV- the job will done right the first time, over and out.

It would be better if you posted individual pictures of your eight cameras, rather than a screen shot. It looks like you did the best you could with only eight cameras, but it's hard to tell. In the end it usually comes down to a bigger capacity system with more cameras, and a mix of camera types and lenses. A one size fits all package system with all 3.6 or 4mm lenses and IR, will only get you so far. If I can see a trend with people getting into MP cameras and IP systems, it's that they only think about resolution. It's part of the equation, but it's not the only part.

...It would be better if you posted individual pictures of your eight cameras, rather than a screen shot...

Here is what I have so far. I still have 3 more cameras to install. I haven't yet attempted to optimize the images. Everything is running at each camera's default (except fps and bit rate)...

220112_1.jpg

220112_2.jpg

220112_3.jpg

220112_4.jpg

220112_5.jpg

220112_6.jpg

Nice work, Q! Which pics were taken by the domes - if any of those you posted? That's quite the facility to keep an eye on. I'm sure you'll be pleased w/ being able to keep such a good view of it all now - from your easy chair!

Installation can actually be fun and challenging.

Except for those hot summer attic crawls. Those universally suck.

Also I think I must be a little crazy because I think installing is a lot of fun

You wouldn't say that if you had to work in my attic...

Its not the heat in the attic that gets to me, its all the insulation, don't know why its always on the trips to the attic I never seem to have my respirator in the truck and end up wearing one of those cheap 2 strap mask.

After working in a hot attic with insulation (our area has already hit 109F this year!), take a cold shower, hot showers let the insulation into your skin further.

Q, the pictures look good, and thanks for the shout out to the pro's. I've been doing this nearly 20 years, and I love the work. I have gotten to see the inside operation of a huge variety of interesting operations, and go places not too many people are able to go. (Along with some places I wish I had the ability to erase from my memory!)

Along the way, I've amassed a pretty large knowledge base of what works and what doesn't, and I've also learned to not be ashamed to charge people to apply that knowledge to their operation to achieve the best results for them.

However, I'm also a dyed in the wool do-it-yourself kind of guy, and I certainly enjoy sharing information with others that enjoy taking the time to learn a new skill (I've certainly gained knowledge about a variety of other skills from forum groups).

One and a half years have passed; I've learned a lot and we're now running 16 cameras. After running a lot of Cat5e 300-feet across the ceiling of a warehouse I've come to appreciate gloves, a hat and goggles. Yuk!

Here are some more snapshots from some of the new cameras...

Lobby1.thumb.jpg.27445e9651c78d517ab8956443308144.jpg

Outside2.thumb.jpg.35914a87e9219d258f81998b7f4650c8.jpg

Outside1.thumb.jpg.38907657f14b1a773d2fd7a42c04534d.jpg

Edited by Guest