mrted46

CPU needed for 8 1080P IP Cameras

64bit means lots of memory usage...

A 32 MP channel, 25/30fps@1080/ch dedicated Linux NVR + server class needs just 4GB.

(this just at memory level, with no talk at CPU instruction level)

Also I would(just me) never run an app as a NVR that can't me monitored(watchdog) natively (mainly on Win).

We can put BI on a 6000 USD chasis, KVM, battery memory backuped-RAID, redundant fans & PS, IPMI/SNMP controlled... And it just hangs at software level... What to use? A 3rd party watchdog?

64bit means lots of memory usage...

A 32 MP channel, 25/30fps@1080/ch dedicated Linux NVR + server class needs just 4GB.

(this just at memory level, with no talk at CPU instruction level)

Also I would(just me) never run an app as a NVR that can't me monitored(watchdog) natively (mainly on Win).

We can put BI on a 6000 USD chasis, KVM, battery memory backuped-RAID, redundant fans & PS, IPMI/SNMP controlled... And it just hangs at software level... What to use? A 3rd party watchdog?

yes more memory usage but a far far far more efficient instruction set, it actually requires more swapping and processor time to run a 32bit app on a native 64bit proc like the processors we have today. My dvr (for tv) is a custom built box, running Linux and XBMC. It does live tv enconding and decoding. The same with streamed and downloaded content. When it was running 32 bit yes my memory usage was lower but my processor time was higher and I had a ton of disk thrashing. moving it to 64 bit Linux changed all that by 10 fold. Smooth as butter all the time, no disk thrashing, stable as hell, and very little processor usage.

I just purchased this machine for $684.00. The processor is an i7-3770 Quad-core, 3.4GHz. This is a very powerful CPU. I am currently running Blue Iris with 8 IP cameras (14 total Megapixels). 6 cameras are running at 5FPS/4096 Bitrate and 2 cameras are running 10FPS/6144 Bitrate. My "idle" processor usage is between 10% to 14%. My CPU usage rise when motion is detected and recording starts, but I do not have any data on this yet.

Building a machine is a lot of fun, but I don't believe that you'll be able to come close to the specs of this machine, especially considering the 90-day return policy, the 2-year warrranty and the modern 64-bit OS which is included. Yes Win8 suQs, but you'll get used to it. Yes, the plastic case suQs, but does that really matter. Yes the 300-watt power supply is small but I'm using it as a dedicated Blue Iris server. Yes, it is loaded with BloatWare but you can download Revo Uninstaller Pro 30-day trial and remove it all which is what I did.

This machine is fast, powerful and should meet every need you will have for running Blue Iris and future camera expansion.

On the downside, did you ever notice how the fastenest, somkinest, sweetest machine you ever owned always feels slower after a year?

That is quite a computer. I used to build my own but the prices on pre-made units are just so competitive for the specs. As for the last sentence I am confident that this HAS to be collusion between MS and Computer Manufacturers to encourage people to get new computers every couple years. As a rule I try to reformat my computers (at least the OS drive once every 12-14 months) it is amazing how much a clean install improves performance.

I am running 9 cameras (4 1080p's and 5 VGA all running at 15FPS) with an AMD A8-5500 3.2GHZ (Nowhere near the specs of Q2U's CPU) and my usage AFTER changing to direct to disk is 33-35% when running as a background service and 60-62% when viewing cameras on the monitor.

I just purchased this machine for $684.00. The processor is an i7-3770 Quad-core, 3.4GHz. This is a very powerful CPU. I am currently running Blue Iris with 8 IP cameras (14 total Megapixels). 6 cameras are running at 5FPS/4096 Bitrate and 2 cameras are running 10FPS/6144 Bitrate. My "idle" processor usage is between 10% to 14%. My CPU usage rise when motion is detected and recording starts, but I do not have any data on this yet.

Building a machine is a lot of fun, but I don't believe that you'll be able to come close to the specs of this machine, especially considering the 90-day return policy, the 2-year warrranty and the modern 64-bit OS which is included. Yes Win8 suQs, but you'll get used to it. Yes, the plastic case suQs, but does that really matter. Yes the 300-watt power supply is small but I'm using it as a dedicated Blue Iris server. Yes, it is loaded with BloatWare but you can download Revo Uninstaller Pro 30-day trial and remove it all which is what I did.

This machine is fast, powerful and should meet every need you will have for running Blue Iris and future camera expansion.

On the downside, did you ever notice how the fastenest, somkinest, sweetest machine you ever owned always feels slower after a year?

That is quite a computer. I used to build my own but the prices on pre-made units are just so competitive for the specs. As for the last sentence I am confident that this HAS to be collusion between MS and Computer Manufacturers to encourage people to get new computers every couple years. As a rule I try to reformat my computers (at least the OS drive once every 12-14 months) it is amazing how much a clean install improves performance.

I am running 9 cameras (4 1080p's and 5 VGA all running at 15FPS) with an AMD A8-5500 3.2GHZ (Nowhere near the specs of Q2U's CPU) and my usage AFTER changing to direct to disk is 33-35% when running as a background service and 60-62% when viewing cameras on the monitor.

Does it do MD in direct 2 disk mode

Does it do MD in direct 2 disk mode

Of course it does. It has to decode the video anyway to live view and does so for MD. It's only when it records, it takes the coded stream and writes it at is where before it re-coded the stream.

Dex, there are many reasons people want those features regardless if you want them or not. For example, many people don't feel comfortable being recorded in their own homes and want an easy way to turn off recording until they leave. There are many people that use surveillance cams for non-security purposes, like realtors, hotels, restaurants, bars with webcams, wildlife or city cams. The features are there if you need them and are unique, haven't seen these features on Milestone, Exacq, NUUO or other commercial solutions.

...Dex, there are many reasons people want those features regardless if you want them or not. For example, many people don't feel comfortable being recorded in their own homes and want an easy way to turn off recording until they leave. There are many people that use surveillance cams for non-security purposes, like realtors, hotels, restaurants, bars with webcams, wildlife or city cams. The features are there if you need them and are unique, haven't seen these features on Milestone, Exacq, NUUO or other commercial solutions.

Indeed -- and -- at a $50.00 price point, a developer who is responsive and receptive to his user's issues, suggestions and needs, the fact that it runs on a widely available software base (WinXP/7/8/2003/2008), and doesn't require a Linux install makes it hard to get a negative assessment to stick to Blue Iris. Granted, it not appropriate for large commercial or governmental operations but for me with my stinking 8 to 12 megapixel cameras it provides an incredible array of options, tremendous flexibility and eye-opening capabilities...for $50.00.

Edited by Guest

Another reason I still use BI vs a NVR is that I have currently 4 different types of cameras running. Using a NVR would limit me to what cameras I could have connected to it, and the ability to make a quick software configuration change as I 'test out another type of camera' is perfect for me. Both solutions have their place, just up to you figure out what's best for your needs.

So, I'm a big fan of BI, for all the reasons listed above. Also, there's no per-cam license fee, annual maintenance costs, or license renewals, which is awesome for those of us who switch cams around a lot and use a number of them on a budget.

Is it a security system for high-end industrial/corporate users? No. It doesn't do a lot of the corporate/business stuff like POS monitoring, map-based layouts, multi-cam playback, sensor integration, whatever, but what it does, it does very well. It doesn't have built-in remote client access like the big boys have, either. You can't expect everything for $50.

I have an Aver system with many of those features (but still no per-cam fees), few of which I use. It's for backup, and 95% of my day to day usage is on BI.

For those using a system for home security, small business monitoring, hobby use, etc, it's the best deal out there. You can't beat it for anywhere near the price.

Understood that it's not for everyone, but most of those it won't work for have a bigger budget than those of us who swear by it.

And yes, you can set up a watchdog, using Windows scripting. The BI community forum has worked up a powerful and flexible one that got me through some network port drop-out problems on one of my boxes.

Did I mention the community support forum? No, it's not for the high power corporate types either, but if BI fits your needs, you should check it out.

Using a NVR would limit me to what cameras I could have connected to it

why would a NVR limit you

As I mentioned, I use a combo of 4 different types of cameras at my home: Dahua, Logetech Alert, Foscam and Microsoft LifeCam. I'm currently testing a 5th type (Lorex).

At my work, since I just wish a low-cost solution: Foscam and LifeCam (connected to PC's)that I had kicking around so I can get a visual of my server rooms to add to our remote software. Being able to see the lights on the server is a benefit, but not enough to warrant a higher cost of 'true' cameras.

In my environments: Home and Work, using the USB cams are a great benefit to monitor the areas the PC's are in without adding to the network structure), and in my limited playing with NVR's, I find they work best with the same model cameras, but don't always play well with a 'mix' as I have at home.

In my cases, the BI software gives me the greatest range of devices, and the options I wish. If I was going to buy a 'total' package I'd go with a NVR with 8 cams, but I like to mix and match.

Using a NVR would limit me to what cameras I could have connected to it

why would a NVR limit you

As I mentioned, I use a combo of 4 different types of cameras at my home: Dahua, Logetech Alert, Foscam and Microsoft LifeCam. I'm currently testing a 5th type (Lorex).

At my work, since I just wish a low-cost solution: Foscam and LifeCam (connected to PC's)that I had kicking around so I can get a visual of my server rooms to add to our remote software. Being able to see the lights on the server is a benefit, but not enough to warrant a higher cost of 'true' cameras.

In my environments: Home and Work, using the USB cams are a great benefit to monitor the areas the PC's are in without adding to the network structure), and in my limited playing with NVR's, I find they work best with the same model cameras, but don't always play well with a 'mix' as I have at home.

In my cases, the BI software gives me the greatest range of devices, and the options I wish. If I was going to buy a 'total' package I'd go with a NVR with 8 cams, but I like to mix and match.

I don't run BI but in addition to this. I am thinking of swapping out the swan system for some better cams. All the NVRs from swann, dahua, hikvision only support max of 240FPS across 8 cams max (I think we touched on this in another thread)....Well then in my mind what good is having a 3MP camera if I can only record at 2MP at 30 FPS....Ok lets say I kick down the fps to 15...ok that helps a little. But ideally we all want the highest resolution video avail. At least with BI...at least I think. I can buld a box that will support 3MP cams at their full res @ at least 20FPS...(im still confirming this). Litterally the only reasons I havnt switched yet.

Ive gotta build and support it. and where are my alarm inputs out puts

I've attempted to run 2 x 3mp Geo's on a HP DC7800 USDT, this is essentially a laptop CPU it it was not impressed! it ran, but it was slow to connect, very slow for the mobile client...

we then upgraded our business system to a second hand hp DL380 G5, it cost $2k for a pair of quad core 3.4ghz processors, 8gb of ram, a P400 raid controller and 8 x 10k 146 GB HDD's in raid 10...

at the moment it idles along at ~5-10% cpu usage with 13 camera's, all of them running at 3mp (2048x1536) and 12 FPS, load up the mobile client and this kicks up to 30%, we're about to connect another 6 camera's so I'll let you know how it goes!

Milestone is AWESOME, people complain about price but for the Express version it's $169 to start and then $80 per camera that you add to it, you CAN pay yearly maint but you don't HAVE to so it works out very well for us.

Were u running bi prior?

no, I've never run Blue Iris, we tried a few software solutions and stuck with Milestone the second we found how good the Mobile Client is (for our off site management)

Were u running bi prior?

no, I've never run Blue Iris, we tried a few software solutions and stuck with Milestone the second we found how good the Mobile Client is (for our off site management)

They have a free version that works with 8 cameras...huh...interesting.

Were u running bi prior?

They have a free version that works with 8 cameras...huh...interesting.

Capture all your markets

below Express in theory, will not do an Automated export to archive though. also the free one is limited to 5 days of footage if I remember correctly

but then 169 for the base and 79 or whatever per camera seems reasonable to me for what you get (pricing from Techcctv)