A friend installed an Avigilon 5MP bullet and the image is very soft. I tried increasing the sharpening to 100% and the image quality to 1, but it's still soft. I tried focusing remotely, but it appears that focus won't go far enough towards infinity. When I focus to 0, it is very OOF as you would expect, but when I try to focus to INF, it never passes through a part of the range that appears focused. I'm guessing this may be a bad copy. Comments?

did you contact support?

Yes. The install was done yesterday and I exchanged email with the installer today. There is a new Avigilon rep in our area and the installer is meeting with him on Monday.

I just signed off on another project that will use a 5MP 9mm-22mm bullet for the community clubhouse, and now I'm a bit worried about the ability to pull focus. Should I be?

Best,

Christopher

A friend installed an Avigilon 5MP bullet and the image is very soft. I tried increasing the sharpening to 100% and the image quality to 1, but it's still soft. I tried focusing remotely, but it appears that focus won't go far enough towards infinity. When I focus to 0, it is very OOF as you would expect, but when I try to focus to INF, it never passes through a part of the range that appears focused. I'm guessing this may be a bad copy. Comments?

Try changing the zoom slightly. sometimes when the zoom is up against the stop it won't auto focus.

I had a 3mp bullet that was great until someone hit it with a ladder. The picture was just fuzzy and wouldn't clear up despite auto and manual focusing.

Tech support had us manually default the camera and everything was fine. I thought for sure the camera was headed to the trash bin but its working fine .

Just a quick follow up on the 5MP bullet. The focus is now good. Not sure what made the difference, but I kept trying to adjust the focus (remotely) from 0 to INF and back and apparently the camera was finally able to auto focus.

Best,

Christopher

I've had that happen, a reboot has cleared it up. However, the bullets always seem slightly soft overall compared to the box or dome models.

Yeah, it's not paper-cuttin' sharp, but I think it's acceptable. I reset the sharpness and image quality to default values. At night it's a tad on the soft side, but I'm quite pleased with the lack of IR hotspot. The IR lighting is very even. I have two 5MP non-IR domes at another site and the focus and detail is excellent, but they are outdoor cameras where the available light can decrease the aperture and increase the DOF, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

I'm thinking of getting another camera for my house and leaning towards the 3MP dome with IR. My thinking is I want the WDR so that headlights and taillights are less of an issue as vehicles make a late night loop in our cul-de-sac. I think Mike always suggests, get the 5MP over the 3MP. Comments?

Best,

Christopher

I've had that happen, a reboot has cleared it up. However, the bullets always seem slightly soft overall compared to the box or dome models.

Yeah, it's not paper-cuttin' sharp, but I think it's acceptable. I reset the sharpness and image quality to default values. At night it's a tad on the soft side, but I'm quite pleased with the lack of IR hotspot. The IR lighting is very even. I have two 5MP non-IR domes at another site and the focus and detail is excellent, but they are outdoor cameras where the available light can decrease the aperture and increase the DOF, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

I'm thinking of getting another camera for my house and leaning towards the 3MP dome with IR. My thinking is I want the WDR so that headlights and taillights are less of an issue as vehicles make a late night loop in our cul-de-sac. I think Mike always suggests, get the 5MP over the 3MP. Comments?

Best,

Christopher

I always go back and hit auto focus again when the ambient light is low enough to have the iris wide open.

I always go back and hit auto focus again when the ambient light is low enough to have the iris wide open.

I thought about doing that but I'm afraid to touch it.

I have a 3MP Panasonic (1.3MP in H.264 mode) that I purchased about three or four years ago that was ahead of it's time. It has both day and night focus settings. You can either use auto focus or manual presets, and auto focus does an excellent job. Eventually I will replace this camera because newer cameras have better low light sensitivity, but otherwise, it's still a great performer.

Best,

Christopher

I've got an existing 1MP older Basler I bought used about a year and a half ago and want to move up to something that has better resolution and whatnot. I was thinking about one of the new Avigilon 3mp bullets but if I can get sharper images from one of their box cameras (e.g. 3.0W-H3-B2) then I'd rather go that route. It needs to work well in low-light situations -- I do have one Vario I2 to illuminate the area and will be adding a 2nd one soon farther away from the camera..

So, with the comment about soft vs sharp from above, which Avigilon is sharper -- the 3MP box (the model called out above) or their new 3MP bullet?

I've got an existing 1MP older Basler I bought used about a year and a half ago and want to move up to something that has better resolution and whatnot. I was thinking about one of the new Avigilon 3mp bullets but if I can get sharper images from one of their box cameras (e.g. 3.0W-H3-B2) then I'd rather go that route. It needs to work well in low-light situations -- I do have one Vario I2 to illuminate the area and will be adding a 2nd one soon farther away from the camera..

So, with the comment about soft vs sharp from above, which Avigilon is sharper -- the 3MP box (the model called out above) or their new 3MP bullet?

I'd go with the box model, using separate IR illumination will always be better, as well as the box model being slightly sharper. And turn off the WDR if you don't really need it, the color rendition is better that way.

Dear

Perform an intense comparison between (5 Megapixel 5 Megapixel Bullet JPEG2000 against H3). With Reflector 30w IR for Night.

Unfortunately I can assure you discontinue the product was a big mistake of Avigilon.

There is a noticeable difference in image quality in the visualization of the vehicle license plate.

Can anyone tell me if I notice the same?.

For other application referred Avigilon much credit ranges allowing inferior products being resolved in the same way that the new H3 at night.

If someone wants to discuss the issue to help me confirm my essay, I am fully available.

That CANADA Avigilon believes this issue?. We raise the report through our local importer in Argentina but we have not received responses.

The cameras in the Avigilon LPR units are still the JPEG2000 models, 1MP for single lane, 2MP for dual lane.

I'm not sure discontinuing the regular JPEG2000 models was a bad idea, though. As nice as the picture is, the bandwidth and storage requirements are horrendous compared to the H.264 models, I have seen at least a 4 to 1 ratio.

For that difference, you can install several cameras covering a smaller footprint area.

The cameras in the Avigilon LPR units are still the JPEG2000 models, 1MP for single lane, 2MP for dual lane.

I'm not sure discontinuing the regular JPEG2000 models was a bad idea, though. As nice as the picture is, the bandwidth and storage requirements are horrendous compared to the H.264 models, I have seen at least a 4 to 1 ratio.

For that difference, you can install several cameras covering a smaller footprint area.

The 5mp Jpeg 2000 cameras are pretty thirsty.

Here is 19 of them

214862_1.jpg

Currently I'm installed more than 200 cameras 5 Megapixel JPEG2000 control oriented Urban Income.

For this application JPEG2000 is the most suitable and am willing to sacrifice storage and bandwidth for better quality.

The application is much higher commented JPEG2000 line.

What you comets using LPR, does not apply to what is intended, take a panoramic picture of both plates can observe the patent.

A strategy for Avigilon wrong, we are replacing our Avigilon for this reason.

Able to look our work www.viginetip.com

I upload some pictures that show my comments

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ibhxp85tgb0gzi/sX-YOR4pju

I look forward to your opinion

thanks, federico

Currently I'm installed more than 200 cameras 5 Megapixel JPEG2000 control oriented Urban Income.

For this application JPEG2000 is the most suitable and am willing to sacrifice storage and bandwidth for better quality.

The application is much higher commented JPEG2000 line.

What you comets using LPR, does not apply to what is intended, take a panoramic picture of both plates can observe the patent.

A strategy for Avigilon wrong, we are replacing our Avigilon for this reason.

Able to look our work http://www.viginetip.com

I upload some pictures that show my comments

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ibhxp85tgb0gzi/sX-YOR4pju

I look forward to your opinion

thanks, federico

Nice shots

Did you try to run the bullet camera in MJPEG mode?

I did the test, but fails to achieve a different result against H3, anyway I will look again in MJPEG.

I could not remove the apparent blurring of the bullet, even with 100% Sharpness.

Federico

Not sure why people keep trying to re-invent the wheel. There are cameras designed specifically for License Plates but yet people continue to try and cut corners and try to make a camera not designed for this purpose.

Making sure the experience of Mr. Smith. I look forward to your solution to display the license plate of the car in night condition, without losing detail panoramic scene, this is retaining a pixel density that allows resolving, and reading stored videos ..

LPR solutions, all systems condition the visualization of one or two lanes in order to save the database record.

Not be effective installation on a route, or roundabout LPR system requires additional infrastructure often impossible to implement.

What I want to solve this for Mr. inventor of the wheel surely not he read the previous post is: with a camera take a panoramic detail this is to visualize the meaning and direction of the vehicles, besides being able to read their license plates, application much needed in urban security.

Similar to what was observed in the images uploaded to dropbox from my previous post.

I look so forward to the technical tips of ssmith, I have no doubt that their contribution will be of great importance ......

Sorry for my English translation

Thanks Federico

with a camera take a panoramic detail this is to visualize the meaning and direction of the vehicles, besides being able to read their license plates, application much needed in urban security.

I'm sorry you don't speak fluent english so I can understand.

You use one camera for "panoramic" over view and camera dedicated for License plate. Not one camera for both purposes.

http://products.boschsecurity.hu/en/HU/products/bxp/SKU44240235639007205340288011-CATM6fb1077ddb89b738497d8db3b1389c96

http://avigilon.com/products/cameras/hd-lpr/info/

My original post does not refer to LPR implementations.

LPR has installed many systems?

The application is very different to solve

There are many considerations for installing a LPR system to work.

In laboratory is very easy to demonstrate how it works, as in the link of the videos, it is not so in reality,

Edited by Guest

My original post does not refer to LPR implementations.

LPR has installed many systems?

The application is very different to solve

There are many considerations for installing a LPR system to work.

In laboratory is very easy to demonstrate how it works, as in the link of the videos, it is not so in reality,