I probably have 100 or so of the 4 port and 8 port zyxel Poe switches used for networking with no issue

I would not get a 24 port switch because most cameras are 100Mbps and having that many megapixel cameras, each one putting out 4-8Mbps on one switch is not going to turn out well. I would not get a switch with more than 8 cameras on it. If you have a lot of cameras, maybe get the Zyxel ES2108PWR. It's a managed switch that has 8 full power PoE ports and a GigE uplink port, runs about $240ish. Then get a small GigE switch to connect the various 8 port switches + the NVR or PC to it.

FWIW I just ordered the Everfocus 10/100/1000 16 port managed POE about $500. 180Watt available budget. More than enough for most cameras. My indoor cameras are 4Watt. My outdoor PTZ are suppossed to be 18Watt with heater and blower and I don't have any yet.

Those Everfocus switches look re-branded. They look like Trendnet or Etherwan

I would not get a 24 port switch because most cameras are 100Mbps and having that many megapixel cameras, each one putting out 4-8Mbps on one switch is not going to turn out well. I would not get a switch with more than 8 cameras on it. If you have a lot of cameras, maybe get the Zyxel ES2108PWR. It's a managed switch that has 8 full power PoE ports and a GigE uplink port, runs about $240ish. Then get a small GigE switch to connect the various 8 port switches + the NVR or PC to it.

Thanks! Odds are high that I won't hit more than 8 cameras anyway and IO would have used the rest for local gige traffic. I ordered the Cisco MP, but may send it back for that Zyxel. The 10MP is 50+% more expensive ($380 vs $240), so seems like a no-brainer.

It all depends on the environment but I was surprised at how loud the fans are on the ZyXEL switch I bought about a week ago. I bought it for an install I was doing at a friends house and it turned out being too loud...way too loud. I had it installed in a cabinet (with a door) under a counter and I could easily hear it from anywhere in the room (a quiet room).

Needless to say I gave him two of my fanless TRENDNet 8 port POE switches (4 ports on each are powered) as a possibly temporary solution and I'm going to take the ZyXEL switch since I have a dedicated wiring room. Even so, the ZyXEL fans are loud enough that I'm concerned they might be easily heard from the wiring room in the den. My A/V rack is in the wiring room but the face of it is in the den.

I've been using the TRENDNet 8 port POE switches (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156229) for a while now and haven't had any issues. Even though 4 ports are powered I only put a max of 3 POE cameras. No reason I do this other than I don't want to max the switch out (for heat purposes) and they are so cheap I might as well have several. Even stacked on top of each other they don't get very warm but I realize they have less power than the XyXEL's.

Well somethings gotta give because using more switches to handle 8 poe just because of fan noise doesn't seem like a great solution. I understand why you do, and I'd probably do it as well. I'm just saying that the fan situation stinks and at the very least, needs to be seriously considered when choosing. I've had two loud fan experiences and it truly sucks to the point of not being able to deal with it.

I must admit noise is why I'm planning on enclosing a rack I install in my roof in 45mm MDF (with aluminium heatpipe cooling)

the 45mm MDF should be relatively fireproof for a short amount of time too

Maybe there's something wrong with the switch. I'm telling you, my ZyXel 16 port switch has very little fan noise and sits about 2' from me 8-10 hours a day. The 8 port switch I got for my vacation home is dead silent, no fan. Call ZyXel support, if it was me I would drive over there.

Normal Business hours for Tech Support are 8am-5pm Pacific Standard Time, Monday through Friday. Please note that any information you supply is protected by the terms of ZyXEL Communications privacy policy. Toll free support phone number: 1-800-255-4101 option #5 or support@zyxel.com

you may need to have a look at a few things....

1, is it mounted on some thing or in an enclosure that amplify's the noise

2, if your switch is particularly quiet is that because it's in a fairly noisy environment to begin with?

3, is there some command in the web interface of the switch that turns the fan down?

4, is the fan temp controlled, and the unit is gettting warm?

I know the HP units are not particularly quiet, but it's a 24 port PoE switch that's business level, I expect noise!

Just received 2 of Zyxel ES1100-16P switches for 2 installs I'm doing and they both have very loud fans. Has anyone replaced the fans on these? I'm looking at replacing the fans with Noiseblocker NB-Blacksilentpro fans to reduce the noise. The stock fans are Adda 40mm x 20mm, 8.5cfm, 28.5 dba @ 6900rpm. The Noiseblockers are 5.4cfm, 17.7dba @ 3800rpm. I've used Noiseblocker fans for other projects and they're very quiet.

Sounds like a plan. Also, I have the 8 port version and it's fanless. Does it just plug in with a standard connector. Found this searching Amazon, 40mm x 20mm, cheap, 12db, 5.5cfm

http://www.amazon.com/Sunon-HA40201V4-VGA-Cooling-speed-Sensor/dp/B009QX64T8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1379640778&sr=8-6&keywords=fan+40mm+x+20mm

Both fans are wired to 1 plug, so I'll have to cut/splice unless the pins are similar. Thanks for the link, I'll check them out.

Keep us posted. There's so much noise around me I didn't even notice until I powered it off about a week ago and it is sort of loud for such a small thing.

I consider my 16 port zyxel switches loud also, I'd not want them in my house or anywhere that was not a dedicated equipment room or the like. The fanless 8 port ones are great, and you can purchase two of those for less than the cost of the 16 anyway if noise will be an issue.

I use 16 port ones more as it's simpler and there is noone to hear my switches anyway. Nothing wrong with two 8 port switches though.

Received the Noiseblocker fans today. I had to cut/splice the connectors, but it was an easy job switching everything out. It's definitely a lot quieter now and the switch seems to be staying cooler too.

The fans are Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PM-2 40mm x 20mm Ultra Silent Fan