troyg

My IP keeps changing on my DVR...HELP

I just picked my first CCTV and I purchased it off of Ebay. Im far a noob when it comes to IP and setting these up but I did manage to get it going within a days work. I am able to log into it through my Ipad/Iphone and through my PC by going to http://####.no-ip.biz/ on which allows me to change my configs in the DVR if needed. I really like that as i mounted it in the attic and its easy for me to make any changes.

Well everything works fine but after a few days Lose all remote connections. The first time it happened it took me a whole day to figure it out what was wrong. I went into my DRV setting and noticed the IP was different from what I wrote down. Well I took the new IP and put it into my router and everything came back up again. A few days later same thing. What am I doing wrong and why is my IP changing all the time. I have been reading a bit and its looking like I may need a static IP. I really dont want to go that route as I know my ISP will charge me more and Im not looking to spend anymore monthly than what I am giving them now.

I am using a Linksys E1200 for a wireless router. My CCTV is a Elec 8 Ch CCTV Security DVR System with 500GB. The instructions for the system made me create an account at www.no-ip.com on which I did and also made me input all the information from my DVR into my router such as IP, media port, HTTP port and mobile monitor port.

Like I said everything work fine and I was very happy but I keep losing connection. I'm very frustrated and I am trying to reasearch on my own but its like reading a another language I don't understand.

Thanks in advance and I feel I will be spending alot of time here.

When you enable DHCP in the dvr to get an IP assigned in it from the router, after you confirm you have the address you must then disable DHCP in the dvr and save, to keep that address static. Then it won't change anymore. You may have to re-input that new static dvr address into your router again as well. Hopefully that will do it for you.

When you enable DHCP in the dvr to get an IP assigned in it from the router, after you confirm you have the address you must then disable DHCP in the dvr and save, to keep that address static. Then it won't change anymore. You may have to re-input that new static dvr address into your router again as well. Hopefully that will do it for you.

Shockwave thanks so much for your fast response and help. I just went up into my attic again and got the new IP from the DVR and put it into my router, everything came up and I went back up and unchecked the DHCP and all is good. I think you may be right as the DVR was the one that always had a new IP address.

I will keep you posted and also have my fingers crossed. The countdown begins.

Thanks again.

As long as dhcp is now unchecked, that address will be static and you should be fine. Good luck!

Btw- hopefully your attic is climate controlled. The dvr will not like temperature extremes and will fail prematurely.

As long as dhcp is now unchecked, that address will be static and you should be fine. Good luck!

Btw- hopefully your attic is climate controlled. The dvr will not like temperature extremes and will fail prematurely.

Shockwave

My attic is not climate controlled and is very hot as I live in South Florida. Any suggestions I can do for leaving it there, laptop cooling pad or a fan.

You shouldn't have placed the dvr in a hot attic. And I know you're gonna say you can't move it now, everything is wired in. But I'm telling you- the extreme heat and cold will do it in before long- most likely the heat. As much as it's not good to make extensions to camera cables, I'd favor doing that just to get your dvr out of the attic. If it's possible to run the cables from the attic to a room below, do it. It's either have a slight signal quality drop which you probably won't notice, or just kiss your dvr goodbye as the heat does it in. Good luck.

You shouldn't have placed the dvr in a hot attic. And I know you're gonna say you can't move it now, everything is wired in. But I'm telling you- the extreme heat and cold will do it in before long- most likely the heat. As much as it's not good to make extensions to camera cables, I'd favor doing that just to get your dvr out of the attic. If it's possible to run the cables from the attic to a room below, do it. It's either have a slight signal quality drop which you probably won't notice, or just kiss your dvr goodbye as the heat does it in. Good luck.

You convinced me to move it. It should be an easy move as my garage is right below the attic and I have plenty of slack coiled up in the attic so no extensions will be needed.

While we are talking about cables I still need to run a few more cameras to the back of my home and the distance may exceed the 60' cables that came with my DVR. It might take a 100 footer to complete and I am going to order one or two from Amazon.

Does the distance play a factor in this before I order?

Good for you that you're moving it. Your dvr will be much happier. You can go 100' no problem. Just get one cable length for each run- don't add on to the 60' cables to make the distance. One run, no extensions. And since you're talking about premade cables, consider this place for them. I only suggest it because the cables you're using are cheap to begin with. No sense overpaying for cheap cables. Unless you can find better prices, maybe this could help save some money-

http://www.gadspot.com/p-38-bncpower-cut.aspx

Btw- no worries turning off the dvr either. Because you disabled dhcp, that address will remain static in the dvr and when you move it and turn it back on, you'll see that address remains. Good luck!

Thanks for the link. I will Definitely order the cables from ther and possible another cam. My 8ch system only came with 4 bullet cams and I have I was thinking of adding a dome cam for viewing my garage to possible give it a wider angle so I can see my 5 year old while he destoying the garage.

Can you recommend a good dome came with possible a better resolution than these bullet cams. Should I give 700TVL?

I have some ball domes from them and they work well. I don't have this one, but a GS6008 would probably do well wherever you put it. Reasonable, and it's a varifocal so you can dial in just the right filed of view. I'm guessing you're from the states, so you'd choose the NTSC type, not PAL.

Even with DHCP on devices will always request the last IP address they had previously and are usually reassigned the same address unless it has been used, however it is always best practice to set it static.

If you set it static you should make sure it is outside of the DHCP pool, because your router may try to serve the same address twice if the static IP is only set on the DVR, unlikely but it could happen.

Yes, unlikely. Just keep dhcp off now and you should be good. That's what no-ip is there for, to avoid paying for a static address at your residence.

As everyone correctly mentioned: DISABLE DHCP. (in other words ENABLE STATIC IP) in the DVR menu.

If you are not able to view your DVR from outside world (not your house) you may need a static IP from your internet provider.

I live in London and even here heat and dust is a big killer for DVRs...

Yes, unlikely. Just keep dhcp off now and you should be good. That's what no-ip is there for, to avoid paying for a static address at your residence.

I'm afraid SectorSecurity is 100% right here.

You can't just use an IP address from the DHCP pool and just hope it doesn't get re-used. This will not work. Depending on the size of the DHCP pool, you will certainly get a future clash where a new device coming onto the LAN will pickup the IP address assigned to the DVR.

There are two ways to do this:

1. The quickest way to do this is to go onto your router (or have a knowledgeable friend do it) and find the settings for the DHCP. On most home systems the router will be something like 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP pool will be 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199. In this example you could configure the DVR to be any address OTHER than 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199 or the router (192.168.0.1). Make sure you use the correct netmask (probably 255.255.255.0) and the router as the gateway & DNS.

2. The better way, which requires a little more work and will almost certainly require the assistance of a friend if you've not done it before, is to make the device have a static lease. Using this method you pick the device's hardware address (actually it's Ethernet address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX) and you assign it an IP address on the local network. On the DVR you leave it set to DHCP, but the router will always provide the device the same IP address however it's treated like a DHCP client, meaning you don't need to put any special values other than DHCP on the DVR. This is how I set up all my networks for TVs, DVRs, AVs, etc. These devices all like being DHCP as they are usually very fiddly to set, and the router keeps a list of what every device on your network is

Cheers

RY