I am interested in what experiences others here have found to be good/bad video analytics software companies and whether they only work with ONVIF or only specific IP cameras and/or certain NVR manufacturer's.

Please forgive me if this has already been posted and kindly point me to where. I'm sure there's a lot of overpriced crap out there so for that reason I just want to throw this question out there for discussion.

I know good is subjective but one having great features, that actually work well, such as: object left, object removed, virtual fence, vehicle counting, facial recognition, gun, etc. I saw one a while back that will follow a person's face and switch the monitor from camera to camera as the person being watched moves about the building (real nice - real handy).

Pretty sure Bosch, ONSSI and would like to know which and others that have this most of the above, and I'm also wondering about compatibility with various ONVIF cameras and various NVR platforms.

I believe most are add on software packages but some are built-in and included.

Most of your better IP NVR's will have the basic functions of loss of focus, missing objects and video loss built into their software. It is important that the camera you select is supported by the NVR or Software.

When you get beyond the basics of video analytics then it is important to look at the technology partners that are supported and the IP cameras for those particular analytics. Meta data applications can be tricky such as license plate recogniyion. There is a huge difference between recording a license plate and recognizing a license plate checked against a data base. Typically, like at the last installation we performed for this purpose it took two distinct cameras. Usually, it is a learning experinece for everyone until you actually install a system. Manufacturers never give you enough information and the application was designed around how the engineer envisioned it or how they designed the first application for a special purpose.

There are also some good PTZ camera on the market that perform tracking based on movement and even audio. One has to be careful here as the tracking can be diverted by somehting else larger or closer then the original object.

Facial recognition is also possible and there are large retailers that store databases of ID's globally. If you fit one of those profiles, you may be tracked the entire time you enter the store. Many airports use then too.

Don't shy away from it though. Just pick your application and start the research. And think about the amount of meta data that can be analyzed by one device. Too much and it will just shut down.

Currently working with Intel AIM suite, which follows your face and will display a rough age/gender e.t.c Really good, however incorparating the API into other things is becoming hard.

Also using RIVA cameras at the moment. Jobs including people counting and unattended items at airports is becoming popular for us and looking to get even busier towards the end of the year!

You need to be very careful about manufactures over stating their capabilities. For example I find it very hard to believe that "object left behind" analytics would work reliably in a crowded airport or facial recognition in anything other then perfect conditions.

You need to be very careful about manufactures over stating their capabilities. For example I find it very hard to believe that "object left behind" analytics would work reliably in a crowded airport or facial recognition in anything other then perfect conditions.

I agree, however with the right classification and amendments it's not that bad. Our testing seems to be going well at the moment, but you're right, in a huge crowd it becomes a lot harder.

Just been playing around downstairs and we can get it to pick up a 10cm square box from around 6m away (unattended item). Bear in mind we have one of RIVA's low spec cameras.

In a empty room that is easy what happens when your in a busy airport with thousands of people walking around. It will not work

You're right, not with the stuff we have anyway. With government gear it's possible.

We have been commissioned to do a job within a long corridor, if a person leaves an object(unattended item) the doors will lock. Currently using 2 cameras and its working fine.