mroek

Synology Surveillance Station and Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I

I'm just posting this in the hope that it might be useful for others:

I'm using the Hikvision 3MP bullets and Synology Surveillance Station on my NAS. SS has a lot more flaws and quirks than I care for, but as long as I already have the NAS, it is the easy route.

There is no native support for these cameras, so I have been using them in Onvif mode, which works. The downside is that you have to use the motion detection in SS, you can't use in-camera motion detection. This causes the NAS to spend quite a lot of CPU on motion detection, and also the motion detection options in SS leaves a lot to be desired.

Then, almost by accident, I discovered that if I configure SS to talk to the cameras in PSIA-mode instead of ONVIF, it is actually possible to use in-camera motion detection in SS. This drops the CPU usage by a great deal, and you configure the motion detection sensitivity and masking area in the camera (which has a better method than the stupid way it is done in SS).

While I haven't used this setup for more than a couple of hours yet, I have a good feeling that it is the better method. There is one minor downside, and that is that SS will reconfigure the camera device name to "SynoSurveillance" when you configure it from SS. However, you can just go back and rename it again from within the camera web interface afterwards.

Following the guide in the synology forums for making logitech alert cameras work with surveillance station natively, i have been able to copy one of the other hikvision profiles to work with my hikvision cameras natively, i've had success with both cameras from the lorex bundle on sale now, and the swann full size bullet.

takes a few mins to ssh into the config files and copy and paste a few lines of code and change it to match the name of the cameras you have.

i've tested this for a few days now, they are all setup for camera side motion detection. i have 10 swann/lorex branded cameras working with camera side motion detection now.

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=56434

thats the synology thread on editing files

i edited HIKVISION.conf

below is the code i used, change insertcameramodel here to your own camera model

[HIKVISION*insertcameramodel]
api = hikvisionv2
channel_list = 1
default_channel = 1
resolutions_mjpeg = 320x240, 352x288, 704x576
resolutions_h264 = 320x240, 352x288, 704x576, 1280x720, 1600x1200, 1920x1080, 2048x1536
default_resolution_mjpeg = 704x576
default_resolution_h264 = 704x576
fps_mjpeg_[320x240,352x288,704x576] = 2,4,6,8,10,12,15,16,18,20,22,25,30
fps_h264_[320x240,352x288,704x576,1280x720,1600x1200,1920x1080,2048x1536] = 2,4,6,8,10,12,15,16,18,20,22,25,30
default_fps_mjpeg_[320x240,352x288,704x576] = 10
default_fps_h264_[320x240,352x288,704x576] = 10
default_fps_h264_[1280x720,1600x1200,1920x1080,2048x1536] = 6
default_image_quality = 5
mjpeg = rtsp
h264 = rtsp
motion = mjpeg,h264
motion_param = sensitivity
activate_time = 65
default_username = admin
default_password = 12345

enjoy it, i'm enjoying my cameras on surveillance station since about last week with this coding

Interesting, but I guess this is just a slightly more complicated way of achieving the same thing. Or does this give you any additional benefits over just using PSIA mode?

Interesting, but I guess this is just a slightly more complicated way of achieving the same thing. Or does this give you any additional benefits over just using PSIA mode?

honestly this was the first time i tried something like this, i learned some programming back then, and by back then i mean well over 10 years ago.

it was very simple to do, and i am not 100% sure if it works better then PSIA, i know i get camera side motion detection, and it is running the hikvision api that synology officially supports, synology just needs to get around to adding these cameras in. It is not really a hack, just a fix to use the hikvision api programmed into the synology with a camera they have yet to add to their databases.

Sorry to revive an old posting from this past summer, but I wanted to chime in that I used rayt's code and it seems to be working. It took me quite a bit of time to get winSCP settings correct. You guys are right about using "root" instead of "admin" as the login. But I was needing to use winSCP anyway, to change the serial number on my XPEnology server (running Synology DSM 4.2). So thanks rayt .

Sorry to revive an old posting from this past summer, but I wanted to chime in that I used rayt's code and it seems to be working. It took me quite a bit of time to get winSCP settings correct. You guys are right about using "root" instead of "admin" as the login. But I was needing to use winSCP anyway, to change the serial number on my XPEnology server (running Synology DSM 4.2). So thanks rayt .

actually i'm using PSIA as the mroek pointed out works well. with the coding, you have to redo it everytime you upgrade surveillance station.

I tried this fix and surveillance station does not seem to work with v5.1 firmware. I reverted back to v5.05 and it is working good.

I tried this fix and surveillance station does not seem to work with v5.1 firmware. I reverted back to v5.05 and it is working good.

Was that with the PSIA fix or the recoded HIKVISION.conf file?

Was that with the PSIA fix or the recoded HIKVISION.conf file?

PSIA works fine, i have 5.1 on a few of my cameras.

Good to know PSIA mode works. I just tried the config file fix and it would not connect to the camera even though test connection succeeded. V5.1 firmware totally broke NFS so if that isn't fixed, I'm not going there.

I tried 5.1 beta on my cameras and i edited the config on my diskstation. It works fine for me. It did not work for first few times but then i have to delete everything with regards to camera and then try to do complete setup with h264 as the option and it saw the camera. I havent tried PSIA mode but yea i have sent the configuration to the Synology Tech support to get this camera added by default as it works out just fine if you edit the .conf file. I would suggest sending an email with the config to tech support by as many people so they can add that to default list as i believe 2032I is quite popular.

Here is reply

Hi RJ,

Thank you for contacting Synology support.

I will certainly pass your request along to our developers for consideration. While I cannot currently give a timeline for its inclusion, I would invite you to sign up for our eNews, here to be notified of updates automatically by email.

Serge Yagolnikov

Synology technical support