cachecreekcctv

Remote viewing DVR's

Thanks for all the great info! Been out of town for 3 days on business. I read forum was down for awhile , sorry to hear that. Haven't tried port "81" yet on my router, will try this afternoon. I called local cable company, and was told there was nothing special about port 80 and blocking of port. On my old DVR, I was able to see the "Ethernet" light come on , as soon as it was connected, but not this new one. One problem with my setup, from my older setup, is that all physical items "inline" have changed. I had to get new cable modem, new router, and I ended up purchasing new DVR. All different manufacturers than last IP items. Modem went bad after two years, router flaked on me. Everything now working proper, except the access via IP to the new DVR. I appreciate all your help, from everyone , in this forum.

Tried port 81 this afternoon. No worky again. All suggestions are appreciated, just none work. I am looking at my router and it has a signal light that the new DVR is connected, but not the light on the DVR itself. I checked cable with cable tester I have , cable OK. The one thing I noticed on my new DVR, and I cannot change this function, is that it reads " DNS SERVER

168.126.xxx.xxx" ( I purposefully left out the last two sequences). The IP setup screen reads this, along with the IP that I can change, subnet, etc. Is there a way, with Windows XP to "ping" the DVR? or somehow test the connection for validity? I have port forwarded router, PC,laptop (wireless) and all connections work. In fact, I found a strange MAC address in the wireless column of the router internal workings. I can see all the MAC addresses (just not the DVR's). It turns out that my neighbor had somehow logged into my wireless router. Strange when it shows up (in the router) as "Stellas Kitchen" in the "site monitor" section. It showed her MAC address. I disabled it. Anyway, I am here, still listening and reading. Thanks again to all. I'm not giving up on this one!

Short work schedule today, so back into the DVR viewing again. Just to really throw me into a loop, I have an old Cobalt Server that I have plugged into my router now also. Bought this server a few years ago to run different applications. With my new router ( and since I didn't have my new PC then) I can't get online with my server also!! I think the problem is in my router, and my PC (since it is only a few months old). There are a lot more "selections" to make with new PC, as far as networking connections go, than old PC . If I can get into Cobalt Server , like I used to be able to, then I will try DVR again. I see that there are a lot of "views" of this thread, so this must be sort of interesting to most CCTV people. I hope someone has been helped out, especially with all this helpful information going on here.!! Thanks

think we asked this before, is this an embedded unit or PC based? If it is embedded then all the below info will be the things to try. If it is a PC based DVR then you would also need to look at Firewalls and Norton's issues, as well as any other software you may be running on the DVR.

Port 81 will only work if you set that as the HTTP Server Port in the DVR and Port Forward it in the Router to the DVR's IP. If using the browser then you will need to add the Port 81 after the IP address or Dynamic Name, seperated by a colon.

Same goes for Port 80, if it isnt blocked or isnt being used by another program.

Are you certain this DVR has an HTTP server for the web browser? I would definately try telnet to it first, and then Client Software if telnet connects.

1-Set Internal IP in the DVR, make sure its the same range as the Router.

2-Port Forward to the HTTP Server Port, and any other Ports, such as the Client Software Port.

3-Telnet to the individual ports and see if it connects. eg- c:\Telnet IP PORT

4-If it connects (screen clears and you may see a cursor or other text appear) then try the Client Software, make sure username and passwords are set correctly.

5-If you are certain it has an HTTP server then try that only after you have tried the client software.

6-If it is an Embedded DVR and Port Forward doesnt work, try setting the DMZ to the DVR's internal IP.

7-If it still doesnt work, if you are using a Dynamic DNS name, try the direct ISP Ip address instead - not the internal one, try the ISP assigned IP.

8-If you switched it to port 81, and are trying it through the browser software, make sure to put the port number after the IP address of Dynamic Name - eg, http://IP:81

9-If you cant connect on the Client software, also check the Port number it is using and make sure that is port forwarded.

Rory

It's a stand alone DVR, using JPEG2000 compression. GEN4 sold by Intellicam. I think I had explained that, but maybe not clearly. I had an older DVR ( stand alone also) that used MJPEG a couple of years ago. My older was easily accessed on the LAN, but only about 50 percent reliable on any WAN. When I was able to access the older DVR, my situation was a little different. I had an older PC, running Windows 98, PIII, 128MB ram. Different router ( then Linksys, now Motorola) Different cable modem ( older Surfboard, now Ambit? ) so I am trying to figure out, with so many component changes, why I can't access this new DVR. I have now, and had two years ago, only Dynamic IP from cable service provider. Cable IP is the only that hasn't changed in the picture. I even dug out my old Cobalt Server that I used a few years ago, and was able to access it with old PC, to see if I could access it now. Can't with new setup. Just got to find that one magical "click" with the mouse, and all will be OK.

Not sure how to paste a "link" here. The website "g4IP.com" I believe, was set up for people exactly like myself, with Dynamic IP, to be able to forward this information to my modem/router, but, I believe this is only for WAN, which wouldn't help me out beginning with the LAN. Let me know how to paste a "link" to my DVR and I will reply with one as soon as possible. Thanks!!

OH!! I forgot to ask about "Telnet"ing. I open a "command" page in DOS and get to the "telnet" prompt, but having trouble getting the right command inline, in order to direct it to the correct port. Never used the "telnet " command before, so need to do it once, right, and then go from there. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

You don't need to "paste a link", just type out the web address as you have been doing.

Since we are unfamiliar with your make/model of DVR, it would be helpful if you could point us to a copy of the manual. If there is a place on the Internet, let us know so we can help guide you through the setup.

If you would go to the Intellicam website, on their home page, under the heading "PDF/Downloads" menu. There will then be 15 directories you can choose. If you click on #1 "G4 Firmware" or #5 "Software". These downloads are for this model of DVR. Does this help? The manuals for this DVR , and others, are under the #2 heading "manuals". Thanks again for all the help here. I know it is just a box I am not "clicking" in this Motorola router, but with all your help, we'll get it!!

Yep, done all that several times. Since I can't access my old Cobalt Server, which is on the same router, I think my problem is in the router. I saw an update on the Motorola website this morning, so I think I will try to update first ? I have my old server direct connected to my router also. The server has a link light on, and shows valid connection also, but I can't get into it by using the IP address already assigned to it, like I used to. Will keep trying on the DVR though. I know I am just a "click" away. Thanks for the continuous help!!

can you connect to the DVR at all, with Pinging the DVRs IP or Telnet?

whats the internal IP of the DVR?

whats the routers gateway?

lastly, do you have VNC?

That would be a last resort, I could get on a PC and look at it closer for you.

Rory

The thing that has always got me with this new DVR is that after I do all the port forwarding of the router , and assign the DVR an address. I can unplug, wait a few minutes, then re-connect the DVR and my router will recognize the DVR and its' IP address. Ping command comes back as "timed out". Just can't connect with provided software. My last DVR with MJPEG, had almost similiar connect software. I still haven't been able to "Telnet" the DVR, or anything for that matter. Never have done that before. I can get into the DOS prompt, get to the Telnet prompt, but never get to finish, or see what the end result is supposed to look like ( when accomplished correctly).

telnet is just checking to see if you can connect to the ip and port number... if that doesnt work ... then there is a problem.

Telnet/ping might not work with all DVR.

Standalone one depends on if they support telnet/ping.

PC Based one depends on which ver of windows they are running on and if they had block the port.

Not 100% workable.

Anyway, that's a general answer.

IMHO, if user know totally nuts abt configuring a network, engage someone more knowledgable to do the configuration for you. Else even if you manage to get it online, you might be compromising your network.

e.g. PC based DVR w/o proper firewall/patches might exposed itself on the net and be used as zombie, etc.

Thanks for help. If I knew someone more knowledgeable in networking, I wouldn't be here. Networking solutions are mostly above the average person, just ask around and see for yourself. But I think we all know that. I install and program Allen Bradley PLC's often. I understand how machinery networks. PLC's control pretty much everything in modern factories. But find out how many people can understand, much less program, PLC'c. Even local Kronos "punchclocks" are on the ethernet. In other words, I am not too worried about finding a job when I need to. Back to my DVR. If the people I bought it from were helpful, I wouldn't be here in this forum. If you have suggestions for me, thankyou, if you don't, please just read and move on. Thankyou to all who have tried to help me in this, I have no doubt I will have to figure this networking issue out for myself.

The DVRs IP, Subnet, and Gateway correspond to the routers range and settings?

Use the same gateway and subnet as is on your PC, goto Command Prompt and IPCONFIG

Set the ip to something in the gateway range, say if the gateway is 192.168.1.1, then make the DVR 192.168.1.200, provided nothing else is set to .200 on your network.

Port forward to it, though that shouldnt matter - port forward is only for outside the network, such as over the internet.

You should have a light on the DVRs lan port, and on the router port, when the 2 have the cable conected to each one.

You should always be able to telnet to the DVR, if it is the correct IP, Port, and is connected properly. Obviously if its a PC based and has something blocking it, then that needs to be addressed also, but as a stand alone should work, once set up correctly. If you cant telnet to it, then you wont be able to connect to it at all.

eg: c:\TELNET 192.168.1.200 8000

if the port in the DVR is 8000

also try port 80

since its non Windows based, you can also just set the DMZ to the DVRs IP.

If still no go ... are you using this router to get online now?

Can you connect to any other PC on the router?

Rory

1. Had you make sure that the IP address of your DVR's the same as the rest of your network ?

e.g. 192.168.1.XXX , the first 3 set of numbers should be exactly the same.

2. If it's the same, install and run the client on a PC, and then set in that IP inside the setting and tried connecting to it.

Some DVR's client also have autoscan feature to help you scan for available DVR on the network.

But can you confirm that you had indeed set the IP of the DVR to the correct one.

From what I understand from your post, your DVR had been working through the network. You changed the router to a new one, and now it doesn't work. Correct me if I am wrong.

What might had happens is that your older router's DHCP server assign a different subnet of IP. e.g. 192.168.0.XXX. Most likely you would had set a static IP for your DVR, e.g. 192.168.0.20.

Now you change to a new router, and it's setting is set to a different subnet, e.g. 192.168.1.XXX, and your PC's on dynamic ip, so it get the new IP from the router w/o any issues when you connect to it. But your DVR's still on the old subnet, 192.1168.0.XXX, and that's why you'll have problem accessing it. Change it to the new one, e.g. 192.168.1.20, and you'll be able to access it.

If you want more help, maybe you should post

1. IP address for your DVR.

2. Internal IP address for your router/IP address for any one of your computer that you can access the internet.

These will help us determine if you had set it correctly.

These are private IP that doesn't enable anyone of us here to ping/hack/do anything. It's your own internal network setting, and it doesn't comprise of public IP.

I've not seen you posting any definate configuration that you had tried, so at these rate, it's gonna be hard trying to help you out.

You'll really need some basic network knowledge to get it working. These's no definate 1 way to configure a network. Each network is different and what we can do is only provide a general direction/guideline for you to adapte and follow.