cachecreekcctv

Remote viewing DVR's

Would like to toss this question out to the more learned , networking types in this forum. What is the best way to remotely view a DVR over the internet, without using the manufacturer supplied program? In other words, I cannot always take my laptop (which has remote view program on it) out on the road. I would like to view my DVR using Internet Explorer with high speed internet connection at both ends. Must I upload my DVR images to a FTP site, then view? Or, since my DVR came with program CD, must I only be able to use it, or end up purchasing a video server? Thanks.

I would like to view my DVR using Internet Explorer

Well, depending on which DVR you will be using, most of them today will allow you to achieve access through IE. Its just the matter of letting the computer your acceding the DVR from download the Active X controls.

What DVR are you using??

Let me add to that by saying can depend on the computer you're trying to connect with. If you're using a "public" computer, it's likely that you will NOT be able to install any ActiveX control. Public systems typically block this ability to maintian stability of the system.

However, if you're using an open computer (such as a friend's), you're chances are pretty good that you will be able to install an ActiveX control.

While it is possible to send images via FTP (on some systems), you will not be able to get "streaming" video this way (at least not that I'm aware of). Think of this like taking a picture with a 35mm camera and sending it to yourself.

Note: The Geovision systems have the ability to view cameras via a java based web page but the functinality is significantly limited and video streaming is somewhat slower. There may be other systems with the capability, but I'm not familiar with them.

If your remote computer can download and install the ActiveX, then you would also be able to download and install the full program. Depending on the software and the size of it, the non browser based software will generally be a better choice to use.

Other than that, you would need to purchase a DVR that has an image push javascript type method for browser based remote video, such as Video Insight or Axis.

I think C7 hit the "nail on the head". I wasn't sure that I had to use a "public" computer that would be able to install ActiveX. When DVR manufacturers/suppliers maintain that it is possible to view their DVR's from "anywhere in the world", that statement must only be true if you are carrying your personal laptop along, also having the manufacturers' viewing program loaded on it. To view my DVR from a "public" computer, with high speed internet, from basically anywhere, I must need a "video server"?? I am currently using the GENIV DVR with JPEG2000. The reason I am asking now, is that someone for whom I installed one of these GENIV DVR's earlier this year, is now asking me to setup the "remote viewing" capabilities for his DVR. I figured I would try it with my own first. This client does not have (yet) a personal laptop in order to have the remote view software loaded on. I guess this is my first client to ask about the remote view. Most small business people who I deal with, as well as residential applications type, are satisfied with being able to go back and see problems at their business/homes by personally accessing the DVR playback features.

While I'm not familar with that model of DVR, there are a number of issues that could prevent you from accessing it remotely. Typically, you need to setup and enable the remote viewing feature first. Once that is completed, you need to make sure that the DVR has access to the Internet AND that it is accessible FROM the Internet. If the DVR is behind a firewall, ports may need to be opened and/or redirected so the DVR can send and receive information.

If the network and DVR are setup correctly, your next issue may be the ActiveX problem mentioned earlier. NOTE: Only Internet Explorer for Windows has ActiveX ability built in. Firefox, Safari and the others will not work with ActiveX (Including IE for the Mac/OSX). Other problems could include:

1. Your ISP blocking that port/traffic (uncommon in the U.S.)

2. Bandwidth is insufficient (too slow)

3. Problem with remote computer software (Windows/IE issues)

4. No Java installed on client computer (for java-based DVRs)

You mentioned a video server... You probably wouldn't need one of these if the DVR has IP-based remote capabilities. If the DVR did not have that feature included, then you would need a video server to send streaming video over a network (Internet). Obviously, there are other uses for video servers as well.

I guess I will throw this out also. Need big time help here. I recently changed out my wireless router at home. Old one failed after two years. I use Motorola WR850G. I now cannot access (LAN) my DVR, much less over WAN. I have always had only Dynamic IP through local cable company. Went to "Portforward.com" and followed their instructions for forwarding my router, but still no good. I need Networking help here. I can access the Motorola router and change IP's, etc. Need someone to "talk" me through this, step by step. Using Motorola wireless router with 4 wired connections. Pentium 4 processor PC. Gen IV DVR, which states "port 50000"? Thought that was strange, but went ahead and tried to forward this port, to no avail. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

try port 5000, and also port forward port 80

Some embedded DVRs you may have to enable DMZ for them, if you cant get it to work with port forwarding.

Are you sure that DVR has an HTTP server? Do you have a link to it?

Rory

If you're not able to access the DVR at all, I would suggest connecting it directly to your PC to test it. That way, you can verify that the DVR is setup correctly without having to guess that your router is setup correctly. You should be able to connect the two with a crossover cable. If you don't get a "link light" on the DVR (or PC) with a crossover, try a staright through cable.

You'll need to set the IP on your computer and DVR to the same network. Try setting 192.168.1.100 for the PC and 192.168.1.200 for the DVR. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 on both. Gateway (router) and DNS settings are not necessary for this test. If you're using software that came with the DVR, skip the following and use that software instead:

Open Internet Explorer and type http://192.168.1.200:50000 [or other port]. Note: If you're using Windows XP - Service Pack 2, you may get a security warning regarding an ActiveX control. This may appear along the top of the IE window, similar to the popup blocker. Click in that bar and select "Install". If you're unable to do this, you will need to adjust your IE security settings.

Of course, all of this assumes that you have both your PC and your DVR in the same place...

As for your router (Motorola), there should be instructions that came with the device. First thing to check are your connections. DSL/cable modem should be going into the WAN port. You should see a light for each port that is connected if hooked up properly. If not, try another cable (crossover/straight through).

I guess I should have asked this before, but is it possible to connect my DVR via its' Ethernet port to my PC, also via Ethernet, straight connection, no internet, no router,no modem, straight through. And when the cable is in place, shouldn't I be able to access the DVR after setting up the same IP address, etc. on both PC and DVR? The DVR, like two different ones I have owned, did come with remote view software. Wouldn't I be able to type in the same IP address as the DVR into this remote view program and access the DVR directly? Again, PC to DVR, nothing in between. Straight through ethernet cable, or cross-over ethernet cable? Thanks!!

One thing I forgot to mention. I found a website setup by the DVR manufacturers? to utilize Dynamic IP setups like mine. I never did receive anything from it, but I kept the website in my "favorites" file , for future reference. The website is "G4IP.COM" Not sure who owns the site, but it supposedly was setup for these DVR's. g4IP.com might be actual site? Try it and see what you find. Thanks

Do you have a manual link for the DVR?

Also, try what C7 said ... connecting from PC to the DVR ..

You can also Telnet to the DVR to test the port ..

Use the client software, if you are not sure it has an HTTP server (for browser)

Something i just noticed, Geo has a Java Applet for the browser also .. its very limited though .. and kind of slow.

Thanks. I will try that today. I have tons of straight through ethernet cables lying around, but I am going to have to make up a cross-over cable for myself, about 50 feet, just in case the straight through doesn't work. I am going to try this situation from my laptop first, as I can walk into the area where my DVR is located . I know I have a short cross-over cable for the laptop somewhere.

Not sure how to paste a "link" on this forum for my DVR. My GENIV Dvr's are the ones which were sold by Intellicam DVR sales. I have heard last week, that Intellicam has stopped shipments of this DVR to customers. Either they ran out of stock, or were cut off by their supplier?Sorry to hear that.

No worky. Tried both cross over and straight through cables. Went directly into PC and laptop. Nothing. When I connect DVR via ethernet cable to router (Motorola wirless), I get a signal on the router that there is an ethernet connection. Checked cable with tester. Unfortunately, I do not get a signal on the DVR that Ethernet is present. Major frustration going on here. Got to be something in new DVR. If I connect DVR with straight through ethernet cable to Motorola router, and router shows me a green light on that connection is actually there, I should be able to check router internally to see what connection IP is, right? DVR's IP setup screen shows port 50000. Cannot change from 5 digits. Something I am overlooking???

you wont see an ip in the router for embedded DVRs normally ..

you must assign the IP manually in the DVR.

Strange that you would not get an Ethernet link when connecting to your computer. The physical layer of Ethernet is a standard so it shouldn't matter whether you're using a PC or a router. Is there a little light on the DVR that shows you have a LAN (Ethernet) connection? Are you saying that this light comes on when you connect it to the router, but not when you connect to your PC? That would be quite odd indeed...

About your port numbers: Typically, you can use leading zeros when specifing a port number. For example: 00080 would be port 80.

Yes, there is an Ethernet light on the front panel of my new DVR. However, I have never seen it come on. I did both tests this morning, plugged directly into both my PC and my laptop, nothing. I now have my DVR, via ethernet cable, plugged into my router, and, on my wireless Motorola router, there is a green light, indicating some sort of connection to the router. When I unplug the ethernet cable from my DVR, the green light on the router goes out. So there is something there. The router takes 4 wired ethernet connections, and my PC is one of them at present. Strange, if I unplug the ethernet connection over at the new DVR, again, like I said, the router light goes out for that connection. My new GENIV DVR has a USB port on the front, in which the manufacturer stated was for updating versions as they came out. My last DVR, when connected to wireless router, at least showed an ethernet connection, this new DVR does not. There must be a viable connection between DVR and router to show up a "good connection" light on the router. I have gone through the menu of the DVR several times, and the only thing I can see where I might be mistaken, is the IP address. I ended up going back to " factory default" on the router for the time being, as I couldn't get my laptop to work with the wireless menu. I did have the router in "port forward" and ""manual" status for a day or so, while trying to access the DVR. I know I am missing something here, probably just one little check in a box somewhere. ??

Maybe he will be back, but in the meanwhile, I wanted to ask about the same thing. My computer can see the stand alone dvr thru my router using the software provided using the 192.168.1.200 port 80.

And I installed the software at work. But it cant find it there using the same address. So I bet theres a real simple reason why not.

Maybe my Charter cable provider want let me look at port 80?

maybe, switch it to port 81 if you can, and chage the port forward also to 81 .. then see what you get.

Also, if its a PC based DVR make sure things like Windows Firewall and Nortons Internet Worm Blocker are configured properly for the program and port being used.

CACHECREEKCCTV:

Not sure what the Ethernet port on the DVR is about. It may indicate that a user is connecting to the DVR via the network, or it may be there to indicate that the DVR has a valid physical Ethernet connection.

Whatever the case, if you have software that came with the DVR, install it per the manual. Verify what IP address your computer is getting by using IPCONFIG at a command prompt. Then, set your DVRs IP address on the same network. For example: if your computer has the IP address 192.168.1.2, you should set your DVR to something like 192.168.1.10. Configure the DVR software on your computer to connect to 192.168.1.10 (and whatever port is shown in the DVR setup). Note that the IP address for both the DVR and your computer is almost the same, except for the last number. Avoid using "1" as the last number as this is typically your router's address. Let us know once you've reached this point.

34FORD:

All IP addresses beginning with 192 are private, non-routable addresses. These will NOT work over the Internet. To connect to your DVR remotely, you will need to use the "outside" IP address of your router. From home, open your browser and type www.whatismyip.com . The number you see on the screen is most likely the one you will need to use (not your 192.168.1.200). You may also need to allow incoming connections on port 80 (also known as port forwarding). Set the router to pass port 80 requests fron the WAN to the IP address 192.168.1.200. Do this throught the router's interface.