luckyfella

Can you guess the analog?

The image quality on the cheaper cameras is on par with Avigilon when comparing the same megapixel camera. I don't run a retail store front. We have office space. I very rarely have to review video and when I do, its damn easy with blue iris. Please tell me how a "professional solution" will be any better. For home use its a non issue, there is no benefit to using Avigilon or any other over priced stuff. Again, we are not talking about a retailer like walmart etc (who btw still use 11 year old systems).... You guys just poopoo the cheaper stuff because you are afraid of your business eroding.

fenderman I am not afraid if my business eroding from the cheap stuff. I don't do residential anymore systems and I have no plans to do so in the future. Clearly by your statements you have never used or installed solutions for large customers. If you walked into one of my customers with Dahua and Blue Iris they would laugh you out the door.

EXACTLY, I prefaced my original post by saying that I was referring to home and small business users not malls or very large retail. For the home stuff dahua and blue iris is way more than enough....BI can perform most of the functionality of your system at a fraction of the cost and is just getting better. But yes, for large scale systems you still have an edge. The video quality available right now for the home user at 300 bux is roughly equivalent to what you can provide today....the lines are becoming blurred very quickly. Yes your software may be a bit more advanced....but time will take care of that....

There is NO benefit to the home user going to the high end market

AK, what is that brown stuff on your nose?

Are u trying to be funny ?

u have to do better

plus i don't usually respond to amateurs

I thought it was funny, and you responded to me, so that must mean you think I'm a pro. I'm curious though, 1-2 cctv installs

per week for the past 8 months, does that make me an amateur?

Wow guys, this thread turned into something else. It started with a simple question and good responses but then it just took on a whole new life.

I'm no expect, just a Network Engineer that likes to be educated before taking on a new task. This website seemed like a great website for information when I decided to install security camera at my house. I found a lot of help and helped others when I could. Why can't you guys just agree to disagree and call it a day? Though you pros might take your art very seriously, there are other diy'er out there like myself that enjoy doing crap like this ourselves. We come to websites like this to get some of your knowledge not read about your fights.

Just give your advice and move on. Some of us might take it seriously and others might not. What's with the 3 to 4 pages of "I do it better, you don't know what you're talking about, I get paid more because I'm better" Just let it go already.

I would have thought it was a useless website and left If this was the first post I read when I first discovered this website.

Keep the peace, educate and move on.

Wow guys, this thread turned into something else. It started with a simple question and good responses but then it just took on a whole new life.

I'm no expect, just a Network Engineer that likes to be educated before taking on a new task. This website seemed like a great website for information when I decided to install security camera at my house. I found a lot of help and helped others when I could. Why can't you guys just agree to disagree and call it a day? Though you pros might take your art very seriously, there are other diy'er out there like myself that enjoy doing crap like this ourselves. We come to websites like this to get some of your knowledge not read about your fights.

Just give your advice and move on. Some of us might take it seriously and others might not. What's with the 3 to 4 pages of "I do it better, you don't know what you're talking about, I get paid more because I'm better" Just let it go already.

I would have thought it was a useless website and left If this was the first post I read when I first discovered this website.

Keep the peace, educate and move on.

As a Network Engineer, surely you understand the issues arising from leaving camera ports wide open. Correcting misinformation is a major part of why this forum exists - and arguing that there is no security threat from leaving one's camera ports open is certainly a large fountain of misinformation (and the idea that leaving a port open for an NVR broadcast is no less dangerous to the system than direct access to a camera is honestly laughable)

It is unfortunate that once the OP was shown to be incorrect about his installation methods he decided to lash out at true professionals, however, that does not diminish the discussion regarding:

1) the importance of locking down one's security system

2) the value of paying for a professional installation (in part, as regards #1)

3) experience and professionalism vs "trunk slammers" and poorly designed/managed systems.

Again, as a Network Engineer, I would hope you understand the differences between these two groups and how important those differences are as regards not only the customer but the follow-on maintenance when the installation goes south.

I do not disagree that opening several ports has security issues. But so is opening a port for just an NVR/DVR and we all do it. If I did a large corporation, school, building, etc. , than I absolutely would not be opening ports. I would also not be using Dahua.

I also agree that there is alot of I do it better, your a loser, stop helping diy'rs cause this is my livelyhood crap going on. It is

quite sickening and sad to read. I just have one quick question for the so called pro's. Have you ever paid for anything at all

online by using a credit card or do you do online banking??

AK, what is that brown stuff on your nose?

Are u trying to be funny ?

u have to do better

plus i don't usually respond to amateurs

I thought it was funny and you responded to me so that has to say something................