luckyfella

Can you guess the analog?

I just finished up this job today and we used an analog camera for one of the cameras for our reasons. I used a DVR as an encoder and put the camera on the NVR. Can you guess which one is the analog? If you win, you get to pat yourself on the back!

231683_1.jpg

I just finished up this job today and we used an analog camera for one of the cameras for our reasons. I used a DVR as an encoder and put the camera on the NVR. Can you guess which one is the analog? If you win, you get to pat yourself on the back!

231683_1.jpg

# 3 sucks

means Analog

The reason I used analog for the front door was I split the analog video out of the camera. I installed a 9" LCD screen inside of

the house so he didn't have to drill a peep hole on his very expensive doors. So, the analog camera feeds the LCD screen and than comes down to the basement to the DVR. The DVR does not have a hard drive cause I'm using the NVR to record it.

You know, you would be a perfect candidate to do a series of install vids. If that were ever something you were interested in, I'd watch every one of them!

Please do this!

You know, you would be a perfect candidate to do a series of install vids. If that were ever something you were interested in, I'd watch every one of them!

Have someone video you as you install the cameras, run wires, make connections, etc.

What exactly do you mean? Video myself as I install the cameras or video samples of the cameras themselves?

Ah, who has time for that, lol. All you would see is me on an extension ladder drilling a hole and screaming at my helper

in the attic telling him he better find it or go home without pay!

I would like to give some installation advise though. For IP cameras, do your focusing at the VERY END. By that, I mean, run your wires, put on your cat5 ends, connect the camera, and mount and install it. Wire up your POE switches, NVR, router, etc. Get on your laptop, run an IP scan or let the NVR find each camera. Write down all the IP's. Than Log into each camera, give it a static IP. I like to start at 192.168.1.201. The NVR gets 200. The next camera gets 202, etc. Than when each camera has a static IP, let your NVR find them, than add them to their channels. Than, with your laptop on wifi, go outside, open each camera and than focus them. Once, that is all said and done, I log again into each camera. I change the http port for each camera and than I port forward

each http port to each camera. This way, when I get home, I can log into the NVR or each camera itself to adjust any settings

that need to be done to each camera.

That is a sight on its own...

Ah, who has time for that, lol. All you would see is me on an extension ladder drilling a hole and screaming at my helper

in the attic telling him he better find it or go home without pay!

I log again into each camera. I change the http port for each camera and than I port forward

each http port to each camera. This way, when I get home, I can log into the NVR or each camera itself to adjust any settings that need to be done to each camera.

Can I give you small advice

Never ever Open ports to each camera

NVR only

Advise noted, but I've had plenty of times the camera setting was off and the only way was to log into the camera to

fix it. With just logging into the NVR, you can't adjust camera settings like exposure, shutter, day/night, etc.

I do open the two ports for the NVR, IE and mobile, but I only open http port for the camera itself. Most of my

installs are 4-12 cameras so a few extra ports on top of the ones you already forwarded is not the end of the world.

Can I give you small advice

Never ever Open ports to each camera

NVR only

Any particular reason? I think its quite logical for him to open them up, assuming the cameras have passwords on them. If his client complains about something image wise that can be changed in cam, eg. brightness or noise reduction, he'd save himself the trouble of attending onsite to fix the problem...

I don't see the need to port forward the actual media streams, however

Some cameras have insecure user accounts or telnet logins that can't be disabled, so anyone who finds the camera access can mess with them over the internet. Dahua's got some well-publicized security holes.

A better bet would be to have remote desktop access to the NVR (assuming PC based) and adjust camera paramters from that. Otherwise, using obscure ports can help, but if someone's focused on your IP address, port scans don't take that long.

So, what is the difference between the NVR port and an IP camera port being open?

You seriously want to create long and stupid discussion about open ports

why don't u Google

for example search "Why is it bad to have open ports?"

First of all, I am not the only one asking. Second of all, I have not asked any stupid questions so watch your mouth. Third of

all, if I google what you said to google, it won't tell me what the difference is if I open an NVR port only or the NVR port and a bunch of camera ports. So, I'm asking you, why is it ok to open just the NVR port, but not ok to open the NVR and a few cameras?

And, technically, I am not ópening' them, I am forwarding them to an IP address.