Securitymaster

Computer Problem (non-dvr)

I have tried posting this everywhere, so I thought one of you fine members might be able to help me thru my frustration

Just put together a AMD 3800+ Dual Core system.

Here are the specs revelant:

Boxed AMD 3800+ Dual Core CPU Using Stock Fan+Heatsink

2GIG Ram ( 2 x Super Talent, PC3200 1GB DDR400. CL2.5)

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum. (Nforce4 chipset)

ATI 1800XL -256RAM PCI-E 16X.

450Watt Antec Power Supply.

Thermaltake Armor Case

WD 400GB SATA Drive.

Nothing is overclocked.

Problem is that after I finish installing windows, the next reboot, when is supposed to ask me to register, enter user names, ECT, the machine reboots.

I tried going in Safe mode, same thing.

I'm using a OEM just opened copy of Windows XP SP2 (legal )

Please help, I just spend a whollata cash on this rig for my christmas present and can't get it to work.

ddi you try messing with the Bios settings, may have to change something in there ..

rory

You guys have NO IDEA what I just went thru.

If is possible, is it OK to post a link to another forum that's completely Computer (AMD) related? it has wealth of information, and it has nothing to do with security.

let me know and I'll show you guys what I had to do.

I'm sure you have seen this but just in case:(From MSI WWW)

Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.

There are specific recommendations as far as Mem. config and placement.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo4_Platinum&class=mb

What 2 slots do you have RAM in?

I agree, sounds like a memory problem. Try taking out a stick of RAM and alternating it with the other one (only 1 stick in at a time) and see if this fixes the problem.

I've built tons of systems with MSI boards and have found them to be very reliable for the most part. Asus is also making good boards at the moment. I agree with VST, Soyo is junk. When buying memory for a system, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to buy very good memory, like Crucial, OCZ, Mushkin or even good Kingston.

Well, I had the sticks in slot 1 and 2, but after someone made a recommendation, I moved them to 3 and 4.

Same thing.

In the end, I had to make a IDE HD the primary partition, and used the SATA as a file drive.

it works fast, but I would have liked to use the 400sata because is much faster.

You shouldn't have to use an IDE drive for your boot drive. Did you figure out what was causing the problem?

Or did you just get it working and say that heck with it?

Shunt the CMOS jumper and reset the board then start over with just the SATA drive. Should work fine.

Scottj