Q2U

How to best waterproof this pigtail?

I need to install a Swann branded Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I camera in an outdoor location. A "feature" of this unit is a (non-removable) pigtail, as shown below. The pigtail is going to be outside...this is the way I have to install it.

How can I best waterproof the pigtail contraption?

file.php?id=4692

I need to install a Swann branded Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I camera in an outdoor location. A "feature" of this unit is a (non-removable) pigtail, as shown below. The pigtail is going to be outside...this is the way I have to install it.

How can I best waterproof the pigtail contraption?

file.php?id=4692

Google coax tape

What's that base going to be mounted to? A wall? I'd probably use a waterproof box. Mount the box to the wall cut a hole large enough for the pigtails to fit through the cover of it, then mount the base of the camera to the cover (using a gasket). Make your connections to the pigtail inside the box then put the cover on the box. The incoming wires should go through a watertight connector on the side or back of the box. Just taping up the wires outside in the open air, regardless of how well taped, would be ghetto.

Where is the wire coming from? If it's coming from inside the wall, stick the pigtail in the wall and silicone around the base of the camera.

If the wire is exposed on the outside of the wall, mount an outdoor box next to the camera, make a hole on the bottom of the box,

stick the cat5 into the box from the bottom hole, than loop the pigtail down and put the camera connector inside the box from the

same hole and connect the cat5 to the connector inside the box. Make sure there are no holes in the back of the box, get a box with ears outside

the box so you can screw it to the wall. With only one hole on the bottom of the box, water will not get in it because water does not travel upwards. If you

want, you can still silicone the hole, but no need to. Also, make sure you install the gasket when you put the cover on the box.

A waterproof connector cover should have been included with the camera. If using premade cables you would have to cut one end to install then crimp a new connector.

Edit: Disregard, mine have different pigtails that accepts the waterproof housing. Mine are 3mp, maybe thats the difference.

Edited by Guest