Zip

Hello there,just signed up! Building a PC based DVR...

Hi,I'm building a pc DVR system and just looking for a lil advice reguarding DVR cards. It's for a night club and we already have 6 cameras set up and its all hooked into a extended recording VCR.

I can't go to crazy with my budget yet I don't want to get something that has alot of known issues.

I'm certainly no tech wizard but I know enough to get me by....I plan on building the computer for the system very soon.

What recently caught my eye was a company called Aventura Tech. I did call them up and checked out there site and they seem to have some nice stuff. I see they use that h.264 technology that looks rather promising and they claim that it's especially good cause it would use less bandwith for remote viewing due to it's better compression. It would also be a plus for storage as well.

There systems may be overkill (and a little expensive) for what I need but I figure it may be a good idea to get the latest technology...Yes?...No?

Has anyone had any experience with this company?

My main needs are this by the way.

*Remote viewng

*Half decent recording rate...15fps or more(i guess)

*Looking to reach around 16 cameras

*User friendly set up software

*Something that won't crash my PC

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome.

What type of cameras do you have now, color or b/w?

I installed a VueStar 480/480 system just recently in my nightclub, worked out great for us, real time playback locally, and can save the recorded video remotely over the internet. Its 13 cameras right now, will soon have 16 and then some. Using the old 21" Samsung Color CCTV Monitor for manager view and playback which is high quality as is a CCTV CRT monitor, while using the new 19" LCD for admin. Also comes with an IR Remote control so the manager doesnt even have to touch the main PC, keyboard or mouse, he just views the live video on the CCTV monitor.

As for the product you mentioned, i know of it but never used it.

Rory

Hi rory,

The cameras we currently have are all black and white. I plan on setting quite a few more up with around 4 outside overlooking the parking lot.

What I also was thinking about is the control of any PC based DVR software. It would only be used by a few employees but what I'm wondering is if they would have the ability to shut down the system if they wanted to?

I mean I want some of my mangers to have access to view while they're in the office but that's about the extent of it.

BW cams will eat less space and give you faster remote video either way, so that part is good, same here we only have a couple color cameras, just for the main entrance and car park areas as plenty of light.

You can set up as many users as you like with seperate levels, i personally set up one manager account and he cant do anything to the PC, just use the IR remote on the CCTV Monitor, so he can switch views, and thats it. The owner can use the LCD to do what he needs to, search and playback, but requires a password. With PC based any kind of user levels and accounts you need are doable. We previously had a stand alone DVR system (GE) for 5 years, worked well, but wanted the real time viewing and evidence sharing higher quality of the PC system ..

pc_setup_example.jpg

When you set up user accounts you can set them up as you like, such as which cameras or features you want them to be able to access, locally or remotely, you can also set up guest accounts which is cool, we are doing some stuff for Spring Break coming up.

Rory

PS. Its not my club, i just know the owner well and test alot of stuff thanks to him.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the info reguarding the seperate levels,that seems pretty slick.

Well,instead of jumping into this to fast,I better do a little more research

I'm just so sick of dealing with those VHS tapes,especially when somebody wants me to go back and check out something on tape. Boy is that a pain in the butt and now the VCR it acting up to boot.

Well I'm glad I found this forum...I'll hunt around and get as much info as I can from here...My game plan is to get this project going by next week...I have too.

I'll google that VueStar 480/480 system you have and check that out too.

Zip

Vue Star is on the Forum, ScottJ.

Its a Customized Built system and man its sweet.

It uses the GeoVision Card and Customized Software.

I can build my own System but i used theirs and it came out 100% better than I could have done, guarenteed and tested. If you are going for a basic system then its easy enough to build, but for the fast systems best to stick with a system built by the guys that do it for a living, they know what works with what, and also know their stuff.

Ill let him tell you more.

As for the VCRs, we had them there for the first couple months, they are taking dust now ... it was really a pain, i know what you mean. We had 2 VCRs looped from one to the next, so when one ran out the other one started, tapes galore.

Rory

Hi Zip!

Regards you Post!

I have had experience with this company there very expensive but the product is fantastic,all there products are based on h.264/AVC which is (Mpeg4 part10) .

I still use this product as there is nothing out there that even comes close to it, but i do not purchase from them as they are to expensive!

If you would like to no any more information i would more than happy to tell you how to get them at very good prices!:wink:

hi mark,l also have a bar/niteclub and looking to do the same or similar setup l recieved a quote for the geovision setup from scottj and it seems very good,just curious if you have compared both systems or cards and what your recommendations were!!or if anyone can give me pros and cons of the two cards ie benfits,strengths etc.

I bought a Geo vision 1240-8 card and am impressed by all the features it offers.

I bought my card before joining the forum. Both Scott and Rory have been very helpful.

Scott and Rory both have donated quite a bit of their time in helping me get up and running and answering all my questions.

I can only imagine the type of support you would get if you're a paying customer. Scott is very knowledgeable about the products that he sells and I know he would do his best to help you in anyway that he could.

I don't know Scott outside of this forum and I have nothing to gain financially by saying what I have said above. It's just the truth.

Hi Zip!

Regards you Post!

I have had experience with this company there very expensive but the product is fantastic,all there products are based on h.264/AVC which is (Mpeg4 part10) .

I still use this product as there is nothing out there that even comes close to it, but i do not purchase from them as they are to expensive!

If you would like to no any more information i would more than happy to tell you how to get them at very good prices!

I'm still doing some research but like I said in my original post,h.264 does look rather promising.

Mark,more information is always a good thing ... Let me know what you got.

Zip

Geo's version 7.1 coming out soon, has H.264

there was talk of new hardware coming out, is it going to be released at the same time??

thanks mate

kirit

The GV-1120, GV-1240 and GV-1480 are all new hardware.

They are combo cards. They do video, audio and have a video DSP output.

Regardless of the recording frame rate the local display will be real-time whereas the older cards are not.

They are very cost effective if you like all those features.

The GV-1120, GV-1240 and GV-1480 are all new hardware.

They are combo cards. They do video, audio and have a video DSP output.

Regardless of the recording frame rate the local display will be real-time whereas the older cards are not.

They are very cost effective if you like all those features.

thanks for the reply.

Im still investigating the following products:

-GV-1480

-GV-Hybrid

-GV-DSP

and products by video insight.

kirit

you dont need the GV-DSP if you are using the GV-1480 as it has a DSP port onboard.

Geovision is not my choice of dvr out there, i have used them in the past but the dvr i use is the hikvision h.264 the features and reliability of the system is far greater than any other system i have seen!

i have many software packages that work on the DSP cards which have all different features!

you dont need the GV-DSP if you are using the GV-1480 as it has a DSP port onboard.

Cool, i didnt realize that. Thanks for the heads up. Will make my life alot easier.

kirit

ps have you ever used geo's dual view software?

yes we have used it, however UltraMon is easier and allows for more monitor settings, depending on screen layouts that you want.

Scottj

Scott whats going on, cant hear from you, send me an email when you get a chance.

thanks

Rory

Hi Zip!

Regards you Post!

If you would like to no any more information i would more than happy to tell you how to get them at very good prices!:wink:

Can you reveal how to get the boards at very good price?