demj1308

need advice on what wire to use

I have 2 cameras with bad pictures, they are both ran underground thru conduit using rg59 (not burial). Im going to run 2 new wires and go with a direct burial rated cable this time in the conduit. First do you recommend rg59 or cat5, its about 150 foot run. I have seen some burial coax that says its gel filled and I have seen some that doesn't say its gel filled, do I need the gel filled ?

Thanks

Regular RG59 should work fine in conduit, as long as you didn't pull a splice into the conduit or damage it while pulling. Are you sure it's the wire itself causing the problem?

I have 2 cameras with bad pictures, they are both ran underground thru conduit using rg59 (not burial). Im going to run 2 new wires and go with a direct burial rated cable this time in the conduit. First do you recommend rg59 or cat5, its about 150 foot run. I have seen some burial coax that says its gel filled and I have seen some that doesn't say its gel filled, do I need the gel filled ?

Thanks

Have you considered other reasons why you might be getting a bad picture from your cameras? A 150f cable run of rg59 is not bad, and since you're already running the cable via conduit, it should protect it from UV and moisture/freeze-thaw long term damage. It's not a bad idea to use burial grade cable anyways, but I do not believe using them will suddenly give you a better picture - have any outdoor connections been compromised?

The cameras worked fine for a while, there are no splices anywhere in the run. Someone on another site suggested that as i live in S. Florida and we do get a lot of rain that water probably got into the conduit and has managed to damage the cable (as they current cable is direct burial rated). I have switched the cameras out and replaced the connectors on the camera side of the cable with no luck.

I'd bring the camera to the head end and attach with a short cable to make sure it's what you think it is. Or, if you have another camera input on your DVR that is working OK, swap that input to the one that looks bad and see if the bad image moves or stays on the same input.

Did both cameras start doing this at the same time? If so, the likelihood of it being the cables is very low.

Florida being really bad for lightning (#1 in the USA) you may have gotten damage to your inputs on your DVR. Another possibility is that you've developed a ground loop.

Here's what one of my customer did in Florida...had bad picture on all his cameras, new job, cameras were fine, cables were fine...didn't know what was wrong, ground loop isolator were no help... then he grounded the DVR (which came with a built in grounding screw) and all the pictures cleared up.

He said he grounded it to a negative terminal of the power box that powers all his cameras.