habusho

System Recommendations for a Jewelry Company

Hi everyone!

We need to design a CCTV system for our jewelry shop.

Last time I checked into CCTV systems, digital equipment was just starting to get popular a little bit.

I was wondering what type of equipment you would recommend for our shop. We're going to need about 6-8 cameras, a DVR. Specific camera and DVR recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thanks v much

What is your budget and requirements?

I would suggest you go with an NVR and IP cameras. Your budget and requirements will greatly dictate what you need for your shop.

Hi everyone!

Last time I checked into CCTV systems, digital equipment was just starting to get popular a little bit.

I was wondering what type of equipment you would recommend for our shop. We're going to need about 6-8 cameras, a DVR. Specific camera and DVR recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thanks v much

Talk to your insurance company first.

Ilkie

Hi everyone!

Thanks v much

Ilkie

I have never heard of an insurance company telling a company or home owner they are not allowed to install a CCTV system. From an installer point of view I carry failure to perform insurance from an insurance company so if his jewelry store were to be robbed and my install failed for some reason I am covered, but its up to me to have that insurance, not the customer.

Hi,

I can spend a max of $7k.

I'm currently very seriously considering 8x ACTI E53 cameras.

I've yet to decide on an NVR or computer system yet.

Hi everyone!

Thanks v much

Ilkie

I have never heard of an insurance company telling a company or home owner they are not allowed to install a CCTV system. From an installer point of view I carry failure to perform insurance from an insurance company so if his jewelry store were to be robbed and my install failed for some reason I am covered, but its up to me to have that insurance, not the customer.

Its to cover all the bases.

Offer the insurance company an opportunity to detail was is to be covered/retention/ specification etc.

They are unlikely to respond unless there are special risks but in the event of a claim, it makes it difficult for them not to payout on the basis the system is not fit for purpose.

Ilkie

Hi,

I can spend a max of $7k.

I'm currently very seriously considering 8x ACTI E53 cameras.

I've yet to decide on an NVR or computer system yet.

Avigilon may be a very good fit for your needs.

I'm not sure what Avigilon would get me above and beyond an ACTI camera.

I think the video quality is very good on ACTI. I'm pretty positive that they cost less than Avigilon as well.

I'm not sure what Avigilon would get me above and beyond an ACTI camera.

I think the video quality is very good on ACTI. I'm pretty positive that they cost less than Avigilon as well.

Download Avigilon Demo

try and decide

I don't know where to download the demo but I watched a couple of the videos of ACC in action. It looks like a nice piece of software but IMO it's overkill for our project.

We hardly ever play back recorded video.

You better consult with some guys who own rich experience deal with this case. Otherwise you will seeing how worst ending.

So you don't need to constraint some specific brand and/or model prior to you get enough plot you should to learn.

You better consult with some guys who own rich experience deal with this case. Otherwise you will seeing how worst ending.

So you don't need to constraint some specific brand and/or model prior to you get enough plot you should to learn.

Thx for the reply Joseph. I didn't understand 100% what you said but I think you're recommending just talking with a CCTV expert instead of saying "I want *** brand cameras" etc.

The issue is that there are no specialized jewelry store CCTV installers in Southern California that I know of. I would rather buy the equipment that I think is suitable and have it installed. I know what is suitable for my business and what is and isn't needed. I've paid a lot of money in the past to CCTV installers and have gotten sub-par equipment. I'm not saying this is the case with everybody but what my experience has been.

What I do find very interesting with other cameras is NAS storage which ACTI cameras do not seem to have.

Not having a computer to store the information would be a great help.

I watched a youtube video though that showed the downsides of doing this and I don't know how accurate the information was.

What happens when the NAS is full? Do the cameras know to delete the old files and make space?

Can you then watch the videos through a program on an iPhone or iPad?

Hi. I would also look at avigilon for your store.and also there software.

You know with avigilon you can install and leave .

There software has some good options for your type of store .

Thx for the reply Joseph. I didn't understand 100% what you said but I think you're recommending just talking with a CCTV expert instead of saying "I want *** brand cameras" etc.

The issue is that there are no specialized jewelry store CCTV installers in Southern California that I know of. I would rather buy the equipment that I think is suitable and have it installed. I know what is suitable for my business and what is and isn't needed. I've paid a lot of money in the past to CCTV installers and have gotten sub-par equipment. I'm not saying this is the case with everybody but what my experience has been.

I would suggest that you need to document in detail the operational requirement before you consider the type of technology or which manufacturer's kit to use.

Think about the type of view you wish to see on your live viewing and recording (size of image, resolution, speed of motion, lighting levels/source type etc), where your face recognition images (and images of numberplates are going to be captured, if you have car parking areas) are to come from.

Think about wide areas views, high risk areas, entrances, windows, safes, image retention periods, the legal requirements for producing evidence in your country or state, who is going to use the system (complexity & training), what will happen if the system itself is attacked, operating periods in case of loss of mains power, remote access, scalability, viability of manufacturer and supporting supply chain (will the manufacturer support the kit over the expected lifespan of the equipment - will the manufacturer or supply chain even be in existence over this period?).

Lastly is the system to be 'open' ie it will work with other manufacturers kit (is ONVIF proven?) or is it a closed system and will tie you into one manufacturer (or installer)

The local Police and/or you insurance company may be able to help you help you out specify the above.

Only then should you be talking to suppliers when you can insist that meeting the operational requirement is a condition for the system to be signed off.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

Ikie,

The space is only about 1050 square feet. I'm not imagining the need for 5mp cameras because the cameras will be pretty close in to the subjects. A 2mp camera would probably even be fine but the techno geek in me wants to get 3mp.

I've gotten in contact with an Avigilon local dealer and the cost is much higher than my $7K budget. I'm still not seeing any specific advantages for me and for my uses for the system by going with Avigilon.

I'm just going to buy the camera system that I've figured would be best and have it installed by a local CCTV guy. I think this forum is doesn't really provide too much information because most of the posters here are installers and people in the trade that direct business to one manufacturer or installers vs. another. As an end consumer I want to know why using *** brand benefits me? I remember one posting clearly in my mind of a common poster here complaining about *** brand because installers can't make money on it. As an end user, I want to make the best choice for myself and whether an installer makes money is not really my problem.

Ikie,

The space is only about 1050 square feet. I'm not imagining the need for 5mp cameras because the cameras will be pretty close in to the subjects. A 2mp camera would probably even be fine but the techno geek in me wants to get 3mp.

I've gotten in contact with an Avigilon local dealer and the cost is much higher than my $7K budget. I'm still not seeing any specific advantages for me and for my uses for the system by going with Avigilon.

I'm just going to buy the camera system that I've figured would be best and have it installed by a local CCTV guy. I think this forum is doesn't really provide too much information because most of the posters here are installers and people in the trade that direct business to one manufacturer or installers vs. another. As an end consumer I want to know why using *** brand benefits me? I remember one posting clearly in my mind of a common poster here complaining about *** brand because installers can't make money on it. As an end user, I want to make the best choice for myself and whether an installer makes money is not really my problem.

It is true that the cost of CCTV has reduced to the point where for us, we will not engage in the domestic or retail markets.

CCTV kit can roughly be divided into three market segments, low end, mid range and high end. Each are capable of producing evidence to a greater or lesser extent.

As an example of the commoditisation of the technology, the industry is now being offered low end 'no brand' DVRs (without HDDs) by the container at $30USD each + transport and custom costs.

Of course there is a question mark over the quality, warranty and service for such kit and even if one make 100% profit, the trade will only achieve $30 profit per unit which not enough to cover overheads.

Bear in mind that if you have engineers that need to be qualified in CCTV, fibre, wireless radio systems, networking, electrics, Health & Safety etc., you can see that the bulk of costs will reside in designing, implementing and maintaining CCTV systems (i.e. not in the kit).

Of course the distribution channel is slightly different but they still need to provide support with next to zero margin (in cash terms).

As a business we made the decision some years ago not participate in the low and mid range market segments as any achievable margin is greatly outweighed by labour and support costs. (by the way, Avigilon can be considered to be high end)

The above are the issues with the CCTV industry today and understanding this may offer a reason to CCTV installers approach and business model.

When designing CCTV systems the prime concern is always the output, should this be live or recorded video.

All other factors to be considered during the design process should lead to this output. There may be circumstances where one 2Mp low end camera will cover an area of 1,050 square feet.

Equally so, depending on the layout and risk profile of the site, ten high end 2mp cameras may not meet the operational requirement.

One game changer is the development of the 2-Megapixel Panoramic camera which changes the approach to CCTV camera positioning, the key element to successfully meeting the operational requirement.

I suggest that even if you are taking the design responsibility role, you should document your requirements so not to miss anything (or get diverted by the 'techno geek' element in you).

Ilkie