toughman

PC based DVR system slow-down/froze problem.

I have been experiencing the same problem on several systems of PC based DVR system after running for months.

Could it be?

1. Hard drive problem.

2. Hard drive defragement.

3. Others.

How to take care of it?

1. Defrag.

2. Format.

3. Replace hard drive.

4. Others.

Any programs to help with this problem?

1. Trouble shooting.

2. Hard drive/system activity monitor.

3. Scheduled defrag.

4. Others.

If you are in business and never experience this problem please let me know. I may have a bad DVR card/software.

Thank you in advance.

Roger

Edited by Guest

Hey Rog,

Please give us complete specs of DVR card and PC setup (Hardware/Software)

We never have had this problem but I would love to help you with yours.

Thanks,

Need more specifics.

Motherboard Make and Model?

Video Card? ( Onboard or AGP )

Operating System (winxp pro or home or win2000 etc.)

one or two hard drive with partition.

Whats that mean??

never had an issue on my PC based like this but I'd look at a virus or spyware type issues first. If you are using this PC for dual purposes, ie. surfing the web and video, you are allowing your system to get "gunked up".

I use Spyware Doctor and it keeps my PC's free of gunk from the web. My video Server is NEVER used to access the web.it's a server and is allowed to serve.

kandcorp,

The system may have one or two hard drives. I use partition to keep the video files from the system files (C:).

The PCs are DELL/Compaqe/PowerPC. If you need, I will check the spec.

Video cards: on board, ATI AGP.

All run windowsXP home.

VST_Man,

All PCs are dedicated to DVR system no other applications.

Thank you for your reply.

Are they cleaned up and tweaked before turning them into a DVR?

Compaqs and Dells come loaded with crap that should never be on a DVR system, also there are XP services that need to be turned off to speed up the system.

Also, do you have them set to restart occasionally or have they been running non stop?

Can you describe the problem a little more?

Are the systems running sluggish all the time, intermittent?

Describe the freezing part. What gets stuck? DVR software, system lock up and forces a reboot. Does it freeze up and then recover, etc.

You said magic radar what version software. You stated on a dell all of our magic radar systems are custom built for me I never build my own and have no problems 80 in the field running strong.

Buddy

VST_Man,

Since Dell/Compaqe/PowerPC all come with trial version antivirus softwares, are these enough to stop virus? My system is only for DVR function and do I need to install any software like NAV?

rory,

You got a very good point! I removed a few and didn't clean up all the crap from the original PC manufactoures. I will try to remove them from the PC and see if that will cure the problem. About "there are XP services that need to be turned off to speed up the system", do you mind to share with me?

I have the system run non-stop.

Jasper,

The system become very very slow. The DVR exe file uses almost 100% CPU time. The video recording is not every second but every 30 seconds or longer time. Remote monitor becomes very very slow and almost impossible too.

crirvine,

I have firmware version 7.1 and software version 4.1.0. I built these systems by myself start with DVR cards.

Thank you all again! You guys let me feel like a family!

Roger

i don't run virus protection on my video server, i just scan every now and then via free virus scans on the internet. i trust in the router/firewall to keep my server safe. i don't use video servers for anything but video servers so the risk is low. nevr had a problem "yet" knock knock

When quoting your firmware and software versions did you get them mixed up?

What doesn't make sense is that all of the systems appear to have developed the same problem at the same time.

Are all the systems unique and not linked up in some way?

It's possible that a Microsoft update could cause such a thing but it is doubtful.

Were these systems all running okay and then developed a problem?

From a technical troubleshooting standpoint some information appears to be possibly missing or inaccurate.

You have a mixture of systems so there is no commonality there.

Did recently do a software upgrade on all the same systems around the same time?

How much CPU was the DVR program using before it went to 100%?

I have noticed all Windows based PC DVRs I have worked with experience this problem. A daily reboot of the PC usually helps. If you have the option in the software have the DVR reboot during an off hours time.

It's odd that you see it when the .exe starts up.

1. Have you run Windows update or updated any other software recently?

2. What processes are running in the background?

3. Are you running as admin or standard user?

WAGs off the top of my head:

1. Flaky virus definations. (They could be seeing the app as a virus.)

2. Windows update changing some core file the program uses.

3. Registy corruption.

4. Corrupted app or .dll it uses.

Differantal diagonosis time:

1. What software is in common?

2. Are they the same age?

3. What hardware is in common?

4. Were the machines from the same batch?

5. Do the machines have the same users?

And anti-virus programs don't prevent infection (their claims otherwise are bunk) but they can clean up afterwards.

I have noticed all Windows based PC DVRs I have worked with experience this problem. A daily reboot of the PC usually helps. If you have the option in the software have the DVR reboot during an off hours time.

Totally false. This may be true if the system is setup improperly. When a PC Based system is setup the RIGHT WAY this problem is never an issue. Like Rory said there are tons of extra services and programs not needed at all. PC BASED DVR's SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR DVR PURPOSES. There should be no need for a daily reboot. We have had systems up and running non stop for over a year now maybe even 2. Anyway, if you research the forum a little you will find numerous threads about this issue and about the services and programs not needed. Talk to Rory he is the PC DVR expert. He can run 480FPS 16 ch. off a petium 3 500Mhz..

If I could get my hands on it I could probably figure it out.

But this way of communicating makes it tough to provide the full picture.

First, I like to appreciate all people have been helping me on this problem. This isue is very important to me since I am taking CCTV as a business. Is it possible to build a trouble-free PC based DVR system? I was told by one guy, his company has built hundreds of systems, that all systems soon or later will experience this problem and the longest life time is about two years. Reformat the drive and reinstall the DVR program will fix the problem. (Maybe I can make money from this problem. )

Recently, I have three systems have the same problem. It didn't mean they all occured at the same time because my customers just found out their systems were slow or lock-up. In addition, it doesn't mean the systems in the field are all good although my other customers don't call me for service.

VST_Man'

I am kind of agree with you. No anti-virus program is needed if it only works as a DVR. However, I would like to have other people's input about this one.

Jasper,

Yes, all these three systems have different PC hardwares. They have been in field for three months to one year. I have not touched these systems since the first time installation.

lpdog & kandcorp,

I need more inputs from others to confirm this.

Thomas,

You have brought some computer questions. I will try to check them with these PCs.

toughman, which port in the dvr application is set for the remote client connection?

Are you using a firewall? which one? how is it configured for the dvr server application?

I know my questions sounds a bit irrelevant, but I think I know your problem, and will explain after you reply.

Hi Roger,

Please keep in mind that Anti-Virus programs like McAfee and Symantec software take up lots of CPU power and should not be running on a dedicated PC DVR.

Good luck

Sounds like the DVR software has an issue, even with Nortons Systemworks 2005 running i only get 0-4% usage on my 2.0Ghz AMD 3 year old PC ....

rory,

What do you think the cause of 90% CPU was the DVR software or the hard drive messed up and needed longer time to save the video files?

You mentioned before that there are some processes could be disabled to speed up the DVR system. Would you please share your experiences with us?

Thanks!

Roger

If you actually see the DVR program using 90% of CPU in under the Task Bar it very unlikely that ridding yourself of unnecessary services and programs is going to help much. It will definitely free up whatever CPU usage is using though. We will have to see if it makes a difference or not in regards to your problem.

Rory did this to one of my computers and it did reduce the CPU usage. Plus there'll be fewer tasks listed under the taskbar which will make it much easier to troubleshoot.

It would be nice if you have a service or a task that is messed up causing this problem.

Than when you get rid of the service or task may be your problem will go away