cctv_survivor

GW usb dongle?

I heard that if I want to upgrade from version 6 to version 7 of Geovision I need a "usb dongle". What does this dongle do and what does it look like? Does anyone have a picture of one? I guess I need to contact my distributor and buy one. How much are they usually?

Thanks

It is a USB cable that connects and hangs from your USB port with this large object at the end. It is called a dingling dangling dongle.

I lied

Some anti-piracy thing needed for older GEO cards. It is a short USB thingy similar to a USB key. It is light green in color I believe and says SIC USB or something on it.

If I remember correctly, ours was free from the GEO dealer in Kingston, ON.

depends on how old your board is (version of the board, or chip identifier)

You still may need the dongle.

Scottj

These are only for v2 and v3 boards. If you have a v3.3 or above you don't need the dongle since 7.x is all you can run.

Also the GV250 cards don't need a dongle. When I was using one I upgraded to V7 without any problems.

(many thanks to Richard Berry of ezCCTV.com for answering that one for me)

I heard that if I want to upgrade from version 6 to version 7 of Geovision I need a "usb dongle". What does this dongle do and what does it look like? Does anyone have a picture of one? I guess I need to contact my distributor and buy one. How much are they usually?

Thanks

It depends on the card model and version. For example, all GV250 SP-chip don't need USB dongles, most other cards do. It's hard to explain all the rules of update, but I'm sure you'll get them from this table. Tried to make it easy to understand:

http://www.polvision.com.pl/files.asp?lang=en&id=68

Actually, from what I know, USB dongles will not be supplied anymore starting from the official release of MultiCam 7.1(8.0) - probably beginning of February. So I guess it's better to think about exchanging the card to a new one for about 40% of the price, participating in Old-For-New program, which starts at the very same moment. Just keep your eyes open.