marizo

100% usage Processor i7 9 Hikvision IP cams

Hello!

At 1st I need to say I've deployed about 5 PC based NVR systems with 1 to 15 IP cameras and 2 systems based on Hikvision NVR DS-9616. Cameras used - Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I, DS-2CD2132-I, DS-2CD2012-I. So I think I have some expierence with networks, cameras and DVRs.

Recently i'm stuck with one PC-NVR..

The situation is sad

there are powerful and expensive PC:

Intel i7-4770 @ 3,4GHz (integrated GPU HD 4600), 8GB DDR3, ASUS B85-PLUS MB, WIN7 Pro 64bit

and 9 cameras DS-2CD2032-I

The software installed Hikvision iVMS-4200 PCNVR v1.03.00.04 (Windows)

and there are 90-100% processor usage when viewing all 9 cameras online and

I'm sure it shouldn't be so. Last summer I set up CCTV system with 15 cameras and computer was weaker ( if i remember it was one of i5), but there was no problems.

I think there are some iVMS incompatibility with 64bit system or i7 processor or GPU. Or I should add some GPU card to PC?

I have no IDEAS. Maybe other members have any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Can you post a screen shot of your process tab?

Also a screen grab of your running cores?

Also, I would never recommend using onboard video. For video surveillance it is just bad practice, I know some will argue that it works but in general it is bad practice and not recommended. Traditionally an analog system offers live video of the bus. IP since it is compressed at the camera, the server than has to transcode the video in order to offer a live view.

For smaller systems we found the ATI 6450 2GB card outperforms the NVIDIA. Especially if you are using software from overseas, the ATI has had better performance, from years of experience in strange and inconsistent issues related to the video card.

There are some shoots from that system:

241373_1.jpg

241373_2.jpg

I'm too thinking about onboard video.. but using it wasn't my idea.

It seems to be solved using lower frame rate for cameras (not default 25 fps). But it lowers framerate in recording too.

Its reasonable price for 6450, maybe it worth a try.

Another idea was to ask Hikvision support some advice.. Now-one knows about their software more than they.

===

Today i tried some of that cameras in BlueIris software on another PC - result is the same..

It uses too many CPU to decode many 1920x1080p h264 streems..

Another idea was to ask Hikvision support some advice.. Now-one knows about their software more than they.

Let's just say OK for now. But let us know how that goes. I've found the answers are generic or vague.

Can you try increasing the paging file. Minimum should be double the memory space. Also under performance, Click on Adjust for best Performance.

I also use a 32GB SSD Caching drive the increases the performance significantly.

Please send screen shots after the paging file change and adjust for best performance.

Can you post a screen shot of your process tab?

Also a screen grab of your running cores?

Also, I would never recommend using onboard video. For video surveillance it is just bad practice, I know some will argue that it works but in general it is bad practice and not recommended. Traditionally an analog system offers live video of the bus. IP since it is compressed at the camera, the server than has to transcode the video in order to offer a live view.

For smaller systems we found the ATI 6450 2GB card outperforms the NVIDIA. Especially if you are using software from overseas, the ATI has had better performance, from years of experience in strange and inconsistent issues related to the video card.

The onboard video on the OP's pc is MUCH more powerful than the ati 6450

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+4600

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+6450

it has more than double the power. The ati 6450 would be a downgrade. In fact

There is something else going on here...

Then new intel HD graphics since sandy bridge have been quite good. No need for a dedicated card which sucks power...

@Boogieman Your right on that one. I think I am mis-quoting the model number. I am going to have to check on that one when I get to the office tomorrow. Thanks for the spot.

My bad. I was off on the model #. The correct one is the HD 7790. Problem with remembering numbers. "Oh it's Valentines day?...'

Egg on the face aside. The reason for the second card, even though it draws more power, is to offload from the processor and transfer to it's own GPU. Regardless of opinion, just for testing purposes, try any card you may have laying around.

The processor you are using has an integrated GPU. Have you tried obtaining the GPU drivers from Intel to make sure you have the latest one?

The last system you built with NVR, what were the specs? Same I7 processor? I would suggest doing an inventory print for side by side compare to dot your i's and croos your t's. Maybe something will jump off the page.

Try this link http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm

actually i haven't try anything with this PC because lack of time.

Yes, the driver for video is the newest one from Intel.

and today i got answer from Hikvision

Hello Mr. Mariss,

Due to the PC performance limitation I'm afraid it's very difficult to achieve a lot of cameras Live View in one PC/Monitor even using a i7 CPU for instance. Besides you need to consider the network bandwidth and a long term stability! That's the reason why we limit to 64 cameras max.

In your mail you mentioned that PC gets 90-100% processor usage when Live View up to 16 cameras? I think you'd better check the PC performance, Graphic Card and Network conditions. If possible, please do consider to lower down Bitrate and FPS or do get Live View by Sub-stream (lower quality video), but it could be possible to improve.

But I recommend you to Uninstall iVMS4200 PCNVR (server based) and install iVMS4200 client software (PC based) available at: http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/02%20%20%20Video%20Management%20Software/00%20%20%20iVMS%20for%20Windows%20OS/01%20%20%20iVMS4200/iVMS4200%20v2.00/Multi-language/#

Also you need to install webcomponent for your web browser into a 64bits OS: http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/03%20%20%20Web%20Components/Multi-brower%20web%20video%20componet%20for%20win64%20v3.0.3.3%20build120419_en/

Note: We kindly request you to click on REPLY into your email client in order to keep all communication together.

Kind Regards,
FRANCISCO GARCIA
Technical Support Department

Seems like a very generic canned answer.

Due to the PC performance limitation I'm afraid it's very difficult to achieve a lot of cameras Live View in one PC/Monitor even using a i7 CPU for instance. Besides you need to consider the network bandwidth and a long term stability! That's the reason why we limit to 64 cameras max.

You are far from 64 cameras. If you disconnect 8 cameras, does the CPU usage drop in half?

I still would at least try the separate card to determine if there is an issue.

CPU usage was about 40-50% with 6 (or 7, I guess) cameras.

With one cam - less than 10. Looks proportionally.

I'm planning to visit the computer i mentioned (with i5 and 15 cams) in some next days to see what's else different. I know about camera firmwares and PCNVR soft (older).

And I had set the bandwidth limits for cameras to about 80-90 Mbits/s total (about 5Mbit/cam). (In this system about 45 total)

There can't be something related to h264 software vs hardware decoding?

Honestly, Try Milestone Xprotect Go, it's free and kicks arse.

our server with a pair of quad cores (old, not even i7 architechure) is idling at 25% usage with 30 camera's.

Hello Everyone!

Today I found in my notes some scratches about PC, where everything works well with 15 cameras at 1920x1080.

There is Intel i7-3770 (not K).

I found some compares:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/65719,75122

so there are some differences and GPU - HD 4600 vs HD 4000.

Also i was focused on GPU differences, where 4000 is ahead 4600 only in GPU core speed, I found IMHO more important difference in CPU - 4770 doesn't support 32bit Instruction set

http://processors.findthebest.com/compare/810-1033/Intel-i7-3770-vs-Intel-i7-4770

but Hikvision PCNVR is *32 (@ task maneger shoot).

This can be the main incompatibility. So the test I think about - install some 64bit NVR software like MR2 prefers.

Hello Everyone!

Today I found in my notes some scratches about PC, where everything works well with 15 cameras at 1920x1080.

There is Intel i7-3770 (not K).

I found some compares:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/65719,75122

so there are some differences and GPU - HD 4600 vs HD 4000.

Also i was focused on GPU differences, where 4000 is ahead 4600 only in GPU core speed, I found IMHO more important difference in CPU - 4770 doesn't support 32bit Instruction set

http://processors.findthebest.com/compare/810-1033/Intel-i7-3770-vs-Intel-i7-4770

but Hikvision PCNVR is *32 (@ task maneger shoot).

This can be the main incompatibility. So the test I think about - install some 64bit NVR software like MR2 prefers.

What? 32bit would never be removed.

"Due to the PC performance limitation I'm afraid it's very difficult to achieve a lot of cameras Live View in one PC/Monitor even using a i7 CPU for instance. Besides you need to consider the network bandwidth and a long term stability! That's the reason why we limit to 64 cameras max.

In your mail you mentioned that PC gets 90-100% processor usage when Live View up to 16 cameras? I think you'd better check the PC performance, Graphic Card and Network conditions. If possible, please do consider to lower down Bitrate and FPS or do get Live View by Sub-stream (lower quality video), but it could be possible to improve."

Your problem is the live is showing all nine cameras at full resolution. Check the general settings where it says "auto switch in live view" i.e. switches from substream to main stream when you double click and make it bigger. The PCNVR does seem to have a bug where this auto switch will "stick" sometimes and all the streams stay as the main stream. Not even an I7 can do 9*2.1MP on one screen!

Check the auto switch setting.

Force substream if you have to.

Recordings will stay at full resolution.

really funny..

Today I connected more 3 cameras to my largest system - now there are 18 3Mpix cams streaming FullHD and everything works very well. I even think that i7-3770 is overkill for PCNVR.

But about my trouble..

I tried to install different versions of PCNVR, nothing changed.

today I tried switch to 3x3 view in my working system - everything works well. And 2x2, 4x4, 5x5 too. Then I inadvertently made some captures in different views and.. woilaa.. in 2x2 view - captures are 1920x1080, in 3x3 - 4CIF 704x576 SubStream.

Then I did the same in my not working system - in 3x3 view captures was FHD.. like drocer said. But in 4x4 view procesor usage is acceptable because showing substreams.

There are different monitors - the working system - 1280x1024, but not working - 1920x1080.

So i dont know why in 3x3 view PCNVR doesnt show all SubStreams. Theoretically 1920/3=640 so there's no reason for showing main stream.

And don't say Hiks didn't know that.

I even think that i7-3770 is overkill for PCNVR.

Sure, if all it's doing is recording...

however if it's transcoding or anything more complex than shoving the footage to disk all bets are off.

Decoding 16 Ch X1080P X 30PS in real time on your i7 model and displaying them for a live pre-view could be OK, as I heard. If the software provides an option to disable (off) "De-blocking filter", then do that. De-blocking operation cost really a lot CPU power. You can save some. If no option, that means they already do not use Deblocking costing some video quality.

SSD offers more bandwidth than HDD in speed of reading from & writing into. But no gain for your system in hand because total bandwidth will not be greater than 50 MBytes or 400 Mbits in total.

Transcoding does encoding a H.264 encoded bit stream into another sub-stream of h264 of smaller size and fps, or another encoding format, say jpeg or mpeg. So transcoding would take a lot of CPU, DDR, and HDD bandwidth. Do avoid transcoding.

Your IP cameras may provide a substream in addition to main HD compressed bit stream. Use it for decoding and displaying for 3X3 or 4X4. That could be your option to save.

Varascope,

We use nVidia instead of ATI. I left my message to your PM. If not, let me know.

really funny..

Today I connected more 3 cameras to my largest system - now there are 18 3Mpix cams streaming FullHD and everything works very well. I even think that i7-3770 is overkill for PCNVR.

But about my trouble..

I tried to install different versions of PCNVR, nothing changed.

today I tried switch to 3x3 view in my working system - everything works well. And 2x2, 4x4, 5x5 too. Then I inadvertently made some captures in different views and.. woilaa.. in 2x2 view - captures are 1920x1080, in 3x3 - 4CIF 704x576 SubStream.

Then I did the same in my not working system - in 3x3 view captures was FHD.. like drocer said. But in 4x4 view procesor usage is acceptable because showing substreams.

There are different monitors - the working system - 1280x1024, but not working - 1920x1080.

So i dont know why in 3x3 view PCNVR doesnt show all SubStreams. Theoretically 1920/3=640 so there's no reason for showing main stream.

And don't say Hiks didn't know that.

If you find a fix for that please post. I just forced all cameras to substream for the live view; 2.1/3MP for recording.

iVMS-4200 PCNVR auto switch bug

iVMS-4200 2.0 auto switch works.

How do we submit bug reports?

I even think that i7-3770 is overkill for PCNVR.

Sure, if all it's doing is recording...

however if it's transcoding or anything more complex than shoving the footage to disk all bets are off.

Synchronized HD playback is killer on CPU's.

Decoding 16 Ch X1080P X 30PS in real time on your i7 model and displaying them for a live pre-view could be OK, as I heard...

Not a chance in hell will that work. All 16 cams playing back at once? Maybe with 2-4 discrete GPU's added in.

I agree with you drocer.. no way jose on 16 videos to playback smoothly at full res... Even the new NVIDIA Purevideo cards that support VP4 can decode 4-5 1080 H.264 cameras at 30FPS before relying on the CPU i believe.

16.. i'd have to see it to believe it.. i would think it would also depend on the database that's being used and the way the video is stored for playback.

Cliff,

You are correct Nobody can. But ubiqmicro can decode 64 Ch X1080P X30 FPS in real time including de-blocking filter on a high end i7 CPU and nVidia card. I mean it. Are you coming to ISC-West?

Cliff,

You are correct Nobody can. But ubiqmicro can decode 64 Ch X1080P X30 FPS in real time including de-blocking filter on a high end i7 CPU and nVidia card. I mean it. Are you coming to ISC-West?

i7 CPU + nvidia card + extra decoding hardware. No one is saying it isn't possible without extra hardware. Even the fastest nvidia card can't do that much at full resolution. There's some tricks to get that to work.

http://www.ubiqmicro.com/

HD (1080P X 30 FPS) x 64 Ch Software Decoder (On Market)

64 1080p30fps video at once, at full HD resolution, and doing it with software? Not happening.

Drocer,

No tricks. Simply i7 CPU plus a single nVidia card. Simply a PC. No more extra hard-wares or something. I will make you see and believe that. There are always smarter engineers out there than you have seen. Want to know more, mail to me.

Drocer,

No tricks. Simply i7 CPU plus a single nVidia card. Simply a PC. No more extra hard-wares or something. I will make you see and believe that. There are always smarter engineers out there than you have seen. Want to know more, mail to me.

Are u saying that u can drive 64 SEPARATE computer monitors at the same time at 1080 res and 30 frames?

AK357,

Absolutely not. One nVidia graphic card can drive one, two,three, and up to four monitors. But decoding 64Ch X HD1080P X 30FPS in real time will be done on a single PC.

If an nVidia card can drive 4 monitors, then each monitor can be set to display 16 Channels (4X4), or whatever display configurations that you like to see. Each video is to be decoded from its own HD 1080P compressed stream, not from its sub-stream. And they are to be scaled down to compose multi channel display on each monitor. You can move around Main display to any monitors of interested, on the fly. For more info, you can mail me. We should respect this should not be flooded with ad. But I think I have to correct any misleads or wrong concepts.