WindSerf

Network camera recommendation please

First time here.

I have an indoor, well lit, application where I need a camera to view 1 inch text on a white piece of paper from about 80ft away and display it on a PC monitor for an employee to reference.

I need a network camera with enough zoom to clearly focus on the page. Recomendations??

I'm not using any NVR or software yet, but eventually we'll probably use something like ExacqVision.

I can probably spend around $2k on this camera & lens in order to mount it in a stable location and reach out optically. I could also mount it in a shaky location that is much closer if the camera has an effective image stability feature.

Since your lighting is relatively controlled and you don't need ir, a good color box camera should suffice.

The axis M1114 is a good little basic 1.3mp box camera.

It is color only but very capable at low light levels.

No bnc test video out, so you will need a computer to view image.

Axis part number is 0341-001

Costs about $500 with 2.8-8mm lens

http://www.axis.com/files/datasheet/ds_m11_42497_en_1209_lo.pdf

The lens calculator show that you will need about 300mm lens.

The Marshall V-300-3.75 is a fully manual lens.

So you will need to keep a spare lens plugged into the dc auto iris connection on camera.

Costs about $900

http://www.marshall-usa.com/optical/lenses/300mm%20F3.75_CutSheet.pdf

Keep a spare lens plugged into the auto-iris... As in, just hanging there? Interesting. Wouldn't it be simpler to use a camera designed for manual lens?

The 300mm lens sounds like the key to the solution. Thank you!

What is it you like about the Axis camera?

My alternative solution is way over your budget.

This solution is less.

Technology always improves, so spare lens do accumulate.

Any old lens with long cable will do, just leave lens lying on enclosure base.

Unless you are in a 80' clean room, dust will stick to your lens.

So a enclosure is recommended for the camera and lens.

The axis cameras are very reliable products.

I have had + $1K Panasonic and + $1K Sony cameras die under 1 year.

I think the difficulty of mounting it closer is worth it to gain the auto-iris lens. I'll go with the Computar lens you recommend. And put them in an enclosure - hadn't though of that. Thanks!

It will vary somewhat - less than a foot up and down, less side to side. I ordered the Computar lens and a Samsung SNB-7001. Hopefully next week I'll get to see how it works.

Why not an analog PTZ with at least 30x optical zoom. You will be able to read the words very clearly and if you need to move it up down left or right, you will be able to move it. Than when not reading words, you can zoom it out and make sure your employees are earning their salary.

I thought about that and decided I can add PTZ later if I need it.

As for monitoring employee activity... The morale consequences of such activity can be very high. While it does happen at times, it's not our culture to lead by babysitting. People perform better out of a drive to do well than fear of being caught. Measuring and holding people accountable to results (upon a basis of trust) tends to be more effective as a rule.

I believe the best leaders are servers and people want to follow those they know are genuinely working to help them succeed.