Sign in to follow this  
somabva

repairing bnc connector on system in a box

My friend's business was recently broken into, and the vandals tore out the DVR to smash it and destroy the hard disk on the recorder. In doing so, they ripped off the BNC connectors on the end of the premade cables that came with the cameras. It is one of those system-in-a-box kind you can buy at sams club / harbor freight / etc. I offered to help her fix it, but I don't actually do that much work with CCTV. I do have a compression tool that I use for BNC connectors, but the cable is not RG6 or RG59 coax cable. It is a siamese power/video, and the video half just looks like normal 28AWG stranded copper, stranded copper center wire with insulator under a stranded copper shield, the kind you'd see used on RCA cables and the like.

I have a compression tool that I use for BNC, but I've never dealt with this kind of cable before, only RG6. Is there a BNC compression connector or other style that is used for this kind of cable? Alternatively, could I just use those passive BNC to paired barrier-terminal adapters that are sometimes used to run CCTV over normal twisted pair / Cat5 cable?

Thanks in advance

My friend's business was recently broken into, and the vandals tore out the DVR to smash it and destroy the hard disk on the recorder. In doing so, they ripped off the BNC connectors on the end of the premade cables that came with the cameras. It is one of those system-in-a-box kind you can buy at sams club / harbor freight / etc. I offered to help her fix it, but I don't actually do that much work with CCTV. I do have a compression tool that I use for BNC connectors, but the cable is not RG6 or RG59 coax cable. It is a siamese power/video, and the video half just looks like normal 28AWG stranded copper, stranded copper center wire with insulator under a stranded copper shield, the kind you'd see used on RCA cables and the like.

I have a compression tool that I use for BNC, but I've never dealt with this kind of cable before, only RG6. Is there a BNC compression connector or other style that is used for this kind of cable? Alternatively, could I just use those passive BNC to paired barrier-terminal adapters that are sometimes used to run CCTV over normal twisted pair / Cat5 cable?

Thanks in advance

Those pre-made cables are really nothing much more than shielded audio cable. You probably could use thstandard crimper. When it comes to inserting the pin you would have to push it in with a small screwdriver until it seats because you won't be able to push it in like normal against the flimsy wire. Leave enough shield to be able to double it back on itself to take up some of the space under the crimp collar. When done I would fill the space left between the coax & the BNC neck (because of the small diameter cable) with a bit of hot glue to give some strain relief.

The other way is to obtain some panel mount BNC solder connectors. Simply solder the cable on,make up a cardboard tube to go on the back of the BNC where the solder connections are and fill with hot glue for strain relief.

OR get your BNC/pair adaptor you've mentioned. It will work but again, strain relief is the problem.

Stranded center coaxial cable is more flexible and also smaller turn radius than solid center coaxial cable.

Stranded center coaxial cable is usually terminated by with solder to the center pin and outer metal ring is crimped/twisted to the outer jacket and shield.

Look for 3 piece BNC connector.

Thanks very much for all the tips guys. Digging through my parts bag, I came upon the idea of using BNC > RCA adapters and soldering some heavy duty male RCA jacks on the ends of the cables. Worked great and provided more strain relief than some of the other options would have.