Sign in to follow this  
chesterfield

Hikvision & Avigilon compatibility

Does anybody know of a list of Hikvision cameras that are compatible with Avigilon software?

I already have a system at home using Avigilon cameras and software, and am now looking to install a syatem at a small commercial building. Some 14 cameras in total.

I have again found that in the couple of years since installing my residential system, the pricing from Avigilon remains clouded in smoke and mirrors. The software pricing seems reasonable enough to me having received a few quotes, but the hardware prices (cameras and encoders) seem to vary quite a bit and also seem somewhat steep. As an example, Ive got quotes of £180 + Vat (£216 or $345) for a 1mp Avigilon micro dome, where as I can get a 1.3mp Hikvision with IR for about half that. A 3mp Hikvision runs at 25% less than the 1mp Avigilon Micro Dome.

What are peoples favourite camera brands to hook up to the Avigilon software? Any reasons why you prefer one over the other. (I know it will all depend on circumstances).

I will have around 9 internal cameras, and will probably go for either decent analogue cameras with encoders due to the small areas covered, or low resolution IP cameras. All depends on how the prices stack up between extra camera licenses on the Avigilon software required for the IP cams, or the additional cost of the encoders to use 4 cams per channel and lower the number of required channels on the ACC software.

5 external cameras will most probably be IP due to the area needing covering plus distance from camera to subject requiring a bit more resolution than analogue will offer.

Any thoughts from people with experience hooking different cameras up to the avigilon ACC?

I have used Avigilon VMS with IP cameras from Avigilon, Axis, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Hikvision, Vivotek, and Arecont with no issues.

I have used Avigilon VMS with Avigilon & Axis Encoders with analog cameras from many manufacturers with no issues.

When comparing cameras for commercial installations, Avigilon cameras should be compared to higher end Axis cameras.

Avigilon cameras when compared by pricing are very similar, sometimes lower than Axis cameras.

Cameras at this price point have the following:

Better warranty (3 years)

Better mounting flexibility (needed for dome cameras)

Better interconnection flexibility (needed for dome cameras)

Better Lens (motorized zoom/focus)

Better Temp Control (heaters/fans in dome cameras)

Avigilon Encoders are great and cost effective if you have existing analog cameras already.

I recommend installing new analog cameras if you need ultra low light capabilities or entry level LPR application only.

Great image quality.

Better pricing than Axis.

4 analog cameras only 1 licence fee!

Avigilon has Excellent Customer Service and Support!

dont forget that when using Avigilon cameras with Avigilon VMS, you also get the pixel searching feature. any other camera and it will show the motion in the specified motion detection box. with hikvision cameras, thats the whole frame.

also you are paying for better support, better build, bla bla bla...