joe4

Samsung SDC-415

Has anyone used the Samsung SDC-415?

Is it better than the JVC TK-C920U?

-link-removed-by-mod - /product_info-SecurityCameras-ColorDayNight-SamsungSDC415.html

-link-removed-by-mod - /specs/SDC-415.pdf

Spec looks good for the price.

It's an awesome camera. A buddy who's been installing and in the business for about 20 years was amazed after he did some testing for us. See some examples from Samsung at www.530tvl.com . As a distributor, we sell it to dealers / installers for (see PM) (with some killer lensing prices to match - you'll want to use Aspherical + IR lens to avoid focus-shift if buying for low-light performance)... and also have an "unbranded" version made for us (same noise reduction technology) for even less for (see PM) (see www.krcctv.net for spec. SC-5352 - - also a vandal dome with the same technology). Only point to note is that these all use DSS for low light performance. Nothing performs better in the dark without added illumination from what I've seen (I mean without getting into those heat-sensing cameras)... but not good for fast motion in the dark - - go ICR (mechanical cut filter) with illuminators there if you must. Anyway... hope I was a help. Bottom line - whichever route you go... you will not be disappointed. Rick

Id like to see an image comparison side by side with Exview ..

Not a True Day Night camera though .

The SDN-520N is the real Day Night camera in that line ..

I have heard alot of good things about it although haven't personally seen it in action. The JVC TKC920U is nothing special, What exview cam did you have in mind Rory?

Any Camera with a decent Exview CCD, eg. GE KTC-2000DN

http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.f76d98ccce4cabed5efa421766030730?selectedID=7646&seriesyn=true&t=prod&leafNode=

True Color mode and BW modes ... plus its ExView.

There are other brands using Exview though. Even bosch PTZs have Exview now in some of their Day Nights.

It blew the low light level of the Sanyo VCC-4594 Day Night camera away by far, which was already impressive.

I have also had a couple Kalatel Exview Color cameras up for 5 years where when the car park lights are off and there is just a tiny bit of street lighting coming into the very top corner of the image, it enhances the entire car park so can see in color, but in person, cant see anything at all.

And ofcourse Exview BW is the best for ultimate low light applications, without added IR.

Though the decent Exview CCDs cost much more, and you do have to deal with the noise as it componsates for the low level of lightingm, otherwise it would just be another SuperHAD.

Yeah the only reason I didnt keep the GE I had as the flange back broke (or came broken) so only 2/3 of the image would focus, so stuck with the Sanyo on that job. The GE definately saw so much more in the low light, near dark, as that was when I focus the day nights, in fact i was amazed while it was still in color, what it could see while It was just near pitch dark ..

Another thing with the GE over the Sanyo which I liked, was the Manual Dip switch for Color or BW mode, or auto Day Night switching. As to focus a day night should be done in BW mode.

Now onto the Extreme DN Box cameras, I want to get a hold of one of them, the main diff between them and these, the Extreme have a built in Photocell controlled Switchover which is much better than the common digital switchover of the GE and the Sanyo, of which i had issues with bright head lights, other than adding an external photocell/s.

Have you tried Ganz zhnh403's or sony's sscdc593's? They do good with head light glare. I have also heard great thing about panasonics sd3 cameras but for the price they better be good

Ive looked at the Ganz they look good, but there are the other choices at that cost, the Sony never looked at. I like the ganz Color Varifocal Dome though, good price for a high res VF AI indoor dome.

Ya the 403 is costly they also have the 255 which is pretty nice for the price. I sell alot of there d/n domes and the 5-50's. When selling d/n cams I try to stress that the lens can make a big difference. Good d/n cams need good d/n lens or ir d/n lens (depending on application).

Dont know, the Day Night apps can pretty much use any lens, but lower F:stop is the best. The Focus shift is only when you use IR at night - or daylight focus shift, depending on whether you focus it in IR or Low Light (No IR).

IR cams are the ones that benefit from the IR corrected lenses, or at least even Aspherical, remember just a couple years ago those IR lenses didnt exist and we were getting great images with IR still with the Aspherical lenses They do make things alot easier though ... and now after headaches with the other lenses and cameras, the only camers for IR i use are IR Optimized and IR Corrected lenses. .. just makes life easier - for my own appartment, thats another story ..

Is there a list of what is best?

Exview

Super HAD

Bla Bla Bla.

It makes cam shopping hard for the guy that is looking at price then spec.

Not really, because there a re so many different grades of CCDs and the camera itself also makes a huge difference on how well the CCD performs. Not all cameras work the same regardless of the CCD.

I just bought one of these Samsung SDC-415 camera's. I should have in a day or two. Has anyone actually tried one out? I'm wondering just how well it will do in low light situations. The claim of .0002 Lux seems low for such an inexpensive Superhad.

Here is a link to the manual.

http://www.samsungcctv.com/product/file_data/manual/20051115_0_SDC-415.pdf

Samsung 1/3" SONY Super HAD color CCD Camera, 530 TVL, 0.002 Lux Sensitivity, Dual Voltage, Motion Detection, Privacy Masking, ID Setting

High performance camera suitable for low and variable light conditions.

Security Camera features:

1/3" Sony Super HAD color CCD

Super High Resolution of 530TV lines

Day&Night surveillance capability

Noise filtered using ghosting effect

High sensitivity of 0.002 Lux

Intelligent Motion Detection

User-friendly on screen display for easy operation

upto 4 privacy privacy "masked" zone; easy to configure

High Signal to Noise Ratio of 50dB

Reduced file size of images

Selectable Dual Voltage selectable

Post some pictures when you get it up and operating.

Real curious to see that .002 low lux rated camera in action.

From what I hear that number isn't based in reality.

Not sure what "isn't based in reality" means, Jasp... but I'd suggest you got bad info. Hard to prove no doubt (unless you have equipment to measure such things - like the design engineers at Samsung (Techwin), and easy to question..., but I'd bet on Samsung (Techwin) - -one of the largest and most respected camera manufacturers in the world - - around for longer than the two of us combined, and with a reputation worth far more than one would expect they'd gain by making up specifications. See the cameras manual here: http://www.samsungcctv.com/product/file_data/manual/20051115_0_SDC-415.pdf , and go to the bottom to see the spec, together with the signature of the QC manager (to it's CE conformance which of course has nothing to do with the camera's specified low lux performance but non-the-less I think it helps to make the point). They don’t even appear to quantify everything with the now-standard “subject to change without noticeâ€

I got the impression that a low lux spec quoted that low was not really true based upon that topic coming up in this thread.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3228&highlight=lux+rating

Samsung was established in 1938 by Byung-Chull Lee and started out trading in dried fish with China and making noodles for domestic consumption.

Samsung Techwin was established in 1977 (as Samsung Precision Industry Co., Ltd.)

I was around some time before 1977. And our ages combined we probably go back to 1938 when Samsung was trading fish and noodles.

Maybe somebody one day will post some pictures of this camera so I can believe. As you know you were asked in another thread and you gave the following answer:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4049&highlight=

I’m not knocking the camera in any way. I haven’t seen it perform. Maybe 200MPH will post some for us to see finally.

Well thank you... I think that explains why Samsung is so good with this low-light stuff, they obviously learned something from the fish they traded (in general fish eyes, before drying, have amazing low light performance - - however, in fairness it should be noted that don't do nearly as well once dried).

As to your age, I am truly sorry - - I assumed you to be much younger. Anyway, I think the numbers still "crunch" - - I just turned 6.

On posting a couple of pictures... okay. I'll see what I can do - I'll capture images of the same scene - one from a mech cut filter double-scan ccd day/night camera - the other from our SDNR DSS day/night (but after our testing of yesterday I can already tell you what you'll see - one picture will be black, the other will be a "useful" image).