joe4

IR Parking Lot Then My Cam - Will It Work?

I want to place a camera on a building with a zoom lens and point it at the gate. Can I put a IR pointing at the gate next to it and have it light up the gate for the camera on the other side of the parking lot?

ex.

building with zoom cam

200 feet of parking lot

gate with ir next to it (saves me having to wire video to the gate)

Well yes that is do able. But need a litle more info than what you gave. What type of camera do you have? What type of illuminator? What is the angle/measuments of the shot? The extreme uf500's are great. But need more info to help you out further.

Definitely do able. Have you bought anything yet?? Are you adding to an existing system?? How wide is the gate? What do you want to accomplish? Vehical recognition? License plates?

Hope you have a lot of reflective surfaces for the IR to reflect off to provide sufficent illumination.

Someone else posted a photo of IR in a garage and it didn't work out to well for them. They used a cheap camera with weak IR though.

I wouldn't call a Wizkid-Extreme a cheap camera

Well the one I was reffering to was cheap. Maybe not in price in some peoples eyes, but definately performance.

Correct me if I am wrong but if he wants to capture plates doesn't angle of the IRs have to be just right? I am not sure if thats what he wants since he hasn't been back here yet and answered my original questions.

The IR would actually produce too much glare unless its the right one for the distance, and yep positioned just right.

Could be worse if he wanted to use PTZ's and then wanted to send the signal via wireless IP to his office 10 miles away to record on an standalone dvr and then be able to view it remotely on his cell phone with complete controof the whole thing.

worst thing would be if he was on a budget and wanted to do all that

You got that right

I have not made a purchase yet.

I was looking at [edit by mod - link removed] for the IR.

And a box cam ~$200 with a zoom ~$100

It will be used more during the day to see who is leaving. And night to see if anyone has gate access that should not or if the dumpster guy is doing what we pay for.

Day part is more important i was just adding the IR so it was not a wasted camera at night.

thanks for all the help, you guys are posting like crazy and I am off haveing a nice weekend.