pw1981

Help me replace a DVR

I am trying to replace/upgrade the DVR on my parent's system. They live in the middle of nowhere, so the camera system gives them piece of mind. The cameras they have are fine and work as well as necessary (no idea what they are), but the DVR is featureless. Its completely unbranded. There is no web interface to look at the system and requires software on the same network to view the feeds. There is no smartphone option or iPad option.

I would like to replace their DVR with a good quality device that does the following:

-Analog 8 Channel (they have 8 cameras, if a 16 channel that has capability for IP cameras, I would do that for expandability)

-Network/Browser Interface

-iPhone and iPad compatible - prefer a mobile browser interface so that iOS updates cannot break it

-A UI that makes sense... I have seen some DVRs that require special training

I would appreciate some make/model recommendations for this project. I won't say that money is no object, but I believe in paying for quality. I have no idea what the POS they have cost, but I KNOW they paid too much. It was not a Sam's Club kit but it was installed by a guy who convinces me more each time he comes to "adjust" something that he doesn't know what he's talking about. My mom calls him every time they can't login with the crummy software on their computers and I live 200 miles away so I can't just come by.

I appreciate any guidance.

Phil

I want to recommend you a Hikvision Hybrid DVR but if its for your parents, I feel there might be a steep learning curve ( but not impossible to learn though). But it does have most of the features you want. How about I send a demo link to you and you can let your parents try it out and see if they like the web and phone interfaces?

If you start in with Hybrids, you're going down a road that is costly and a unit that is much bigger and more difficult to get a handle on for the average person. Frankly I wouldn't recommend it. Chances are if the dvr stinks, so do the cameras. It may be that the only thing to come of the installer doing the original is saving you running wires. If that's the case, cut your losses, and the installer, and put in a good 8 channel dvr and grab 8 new cameras. I have this ultimate mini and it's been very good-

http://www.securitycameraking.com/8-channel-ultimate-mini-series-59081-prd1.html

It's a Dahua. There's lots of videos to watch about it. It will do everything you mention you need, and I think it'll be more easy to log into! Certainly YOU can remotely- provided they are setup with internet there. Then maybe grab new cameras- nice vari focals like these to dial in just what you need-

http://gadspot.com/p-451-gs6107.aspx

And, you're done. Keep it simple for THEM, and YOU may have a shot at peace. Good luck.

All new DVR models are carrying the features that you like to have.

Pick one at Sam's, Costco's, whatever.

You need to buy HDD for recording.

Then ask for help from the guy who have installed the system, a couple of times.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I really don't know anything about the cameras. The layout of the system is actually fairly good, so he did that right. There is one additional camera I would have added, but with the 8 vs 16 channel system thing, I see why he did not. I really won't know about the camera quality until I replace the DVR I suppose.

I think you should physically grab hold of the "featureless" DVR and find out what it is. FCC requires some identifying information on all electronic equipment.

I had this same scenario at one of our businesses and replaced it with a Digimerge DH series product. Pretty happy with it. It was decently cheap too.