pounce

Hikvision Fisheye DS-2CD6362F-I - Anyone have experience?

Does anyone have any experience with the new Hikvision pano/fisheye DS-2CD6362F-I or the 3mp version?

I'm designing a system for my new home and saw these. They look pretty slick. I was all set to go with some turrets and a bullet or two, but thought I might think outside the box and consider what a design might look like with these for the perimeter.

I'm concerned about distortion if these are mounted on a wall that is exposed to rain. A normal concern with domes, but because of the way these work I wonder if its just a much more pronounced issue.

I'm also undecided on NVR/Storage at this time for the system. Its either Milestone, Hikvision NVR (7600 series) or possibly even a QNAP Viostor or NAS (I have one already). Not having had any experience with these pano/fisheye cameras I'm not sure how to ask good questions, but I'm hoping for any friendly comments or advice on issues or recommendations for use with NVR's.

Thanks in advance.

FWIW: I'm buying from an authorized US Hikvision reseller to ensure I have warranty. So far prices are not that far off from importing gray goods.

It looked good when they demo'ed it at ISC. Sort of pricey though, in the $400-600 range from what I've seen.

There's no such thing an authorized Hikvision USA reseller as they don't allow resellers and they've been voiding warranties if not purchased directly from an authorized distributor on their website by an installer/integrator. Gave me a hard time but proved I bought them through ADI Global before they would talk to me. Weird to me but I can understand that supporting inexperienced end-users is not something they are setup for or want to do.

If warranty & service is important to you, consider Axis or ACTi that have good customer support and embrace end users.

Thanks for the speedy response.

They are a pricey item, but because you can have 5 streams from them giving a different view its potentially possible to cover more area and thus potentially use one of these instead of maybe 2 or 3 other camera types. Theory obviously. I did see in the specs though that there aren't any substreams. I suppose that could be a disadvantage depending on use.

I used the wrong term and should have said distributor. Its AVSupply. They are listed on the Hikvision site as authorized. Its not THE most important thing to me to have good warranty coverage, but I think if the cost delta from gray market is less that 15% its makes sense. Especially when it comes to the higher ticket items. Yes for a $500 camera. Maybe not for 10x $100 cameras.

I read on your blog you use Milestone. Do you see any features there for using panorama or fisheye cameras such as this one?

I may just take the risk and buy one of these and just see how it goes.

Fisheyes are slick but I would think more about it for an exterior install. Multiple views and all is cool but not at the expense of resolution at critical areas that need ID capability. Just because you can split up the view and do e-ptz scans and see lots of areas from one camera, that does not necessarily make it the best choice and it is unlikely it will actually be better than multiple cameras. They are better used within boundaries which keeps all views at a resolution that won't fail you for ID. I'd consider them a good choice for one location and support for situational awareness of the other areas it can see - those other areas needing dedicated cameras of their own. No matter how capable a camera is, there are always limitations and sacrifices to relying on it covering large areas beyond the ideal of its ID resolution. In short, it's best not to rely on one camera seeing lots of area. Nothing beats dedicated cameras for each area.

That's good advice. I had considered some of the things you mentioned and ruled out the 3mp version of the camera and was only considering the 6mp version to capture the most resolution to play with. 6mp over a 360x180degree view isn't high resolution esp if there is any distance involved.

I'm no more than 40 ft from a 2 story house to the fence line. For the most part the house is rectangular crackerbox.

It may be I'm trying to make one of these work due to the geek factor and should really stick with a proven meat and potatoes approach. Maybe on the front near the entry door makes sense from a coverage and aesthetics application. Its also covered so less chance of water on the cover distorting the view of the despherification of the image.

Yeah, that might be a win in that location. I was considering installing one in a similar way at my front door, and if it could give me cross street overview out front and driveway too, all the better. But I couldn't come up with an ideal spot for it. Really get your eyes out there and understand what the camera will actually see where you want to put it. If needed, get up on a ladder and make your head the camera and see what your eyes see. It's an investment, so you want to be sure that the multiple locations you think the fisheye can see actually sees them all. I was jazzed about getting one at one time but resisted because it wasn't the right thing to do. Good luck.

I would really wait until the Hikvision fisheye is proven first.

Geovision and vivotek's fisheye has been out for a while and seems to have a good track record, could be your other options. And the 5mp GV fisheye is in the same price range of $500-$600.

I've seen the Hikvision 3 MP fisheye...main stream on highest quality still looks like CIF or Half-D1 at best, doesn't even look like a high definition camera.