frosted

megapixel cameras

hi all. since the cameras are digital based put thread in here. not sure if correct place so apologies if not!

basically wondering if any of you (im in uk) have come across GOOD cameras of this type for resnoble cash as they seem to be the way forward?

regards,

sam

Clear vision CCTV

I wonder what type of storage requirements would be necessary for these types of cameras.

It must be considerable.

Well not really(could be wrong), I mean if you are recording at the DVR's highest res which is usually 720x480 then it shouldn't matter to much, but where it does matter is when you digitally zoom you can get further before the picture get to pixelly. Thats what I noticed when Covi came in and did a demo on-site.

Oh.

I was assuming that with a megapixel camera you would be recording at a much higher resolution than 720x480, which is 345K pixels roughly.

I was thinking it would be more like a digital camera where the higher the megapixels the better.

I know HD video for example uses up tremendous amounts of storage.

Ya HD does use alot. The Tivo type units I sell for HDTV recording like Sony will only hold around 20 hours at highest HD quality but will hold 270 at the lowest. With CCTV DVR's the resolution can't be recorded that high. Your thinking is kinda right the higher the mega pixels is usually better but just like 480 res on one camera doesn't look as good as 380 on another, the same applies with mega pixel cams. I don't know the technical stuff behind it, although it has probably been explained to me before, I have some customers who buy only 3 ccd cams like hitachi, sony, panasonic, ikegami and use nothing but Canon, Fujinon, rainbow and Kowa type high end zoom lenses then they put it in a pelco eh5723 or eh5729 housings with all the extras wiper and all, mount it on a pelco PT and use there own controller with a dial tone type rf signal to control it. I am sure somebody on here knows the break down.

thanks for the replys. well basically looking at other options than the norm analoge cameras as the installs i have done look great but the ability to zoom into images without huge quailty loss would be an awsome tool.

i can see this being very very usefull for numberplate items which is where im taking my thoughts (as well as face recon)

just cant seem to find any suppliers in the uk for decent kit.

below 300 a camera is the price idea i was thinking off. plus i would say not to hard to sort out recording sizes as hard disk space is now very cheap per gig, and defo when looking at a rack system

well maybe dream for normal installs granted lol!

ive seen demos of various VERY impressive megapixel systems which are just mind blowing.

just cant find any cameras that would be good for normal installs. im an it consultant as my primary trade before starting the cctv, so its prob that side getting in the way grin.

yeah, ive seen them to, but not for cctv .. the camera is doable, but the dvr technology isnt there yet.

One of the problems with Megapixel cameras (in a normal system) is the recording resolution.

What do you intend recording them onto?

baywatch - yeah of course. you cannot put them on a normal dvr. u need to use a 100% computer based system. would setup a rackmount pc, since if there digital, will be ip based unless its really odd. and if not can use a analoge to video switch to stream it over a network.

anyone got any uk suppliers i could contact for this sort of tech? (ive actually be asked today about it so need to research it). pm me if more appropiate for supplier details.

I have 2 customers who have a branch out here but they are based over there but I am not sure how they are with megapixel stuff but I will ask tomorrow and let you know.

another issue with IP cams is network traffic...........you can bottleneck your LAN quick with a few IP cams running wide open.

well if you had sence (dopnt mean that as a persona insult) you would run them wireless on a sepearate network. this also helps with security for court admission i would imagine.

Any potential arguement that the video is tampered with by a man in the middle attack comes into play no matter the network but it would be a better arguement on a wireless network.

Ideally the cameras would be on seperate wired networks. Wireless cameras need to be segmented by firewall from the wired ones.

this is where my it experience comes in usefull as setting up mac and encrp secured networking is somewhat second nature to me lol!

Woohoo! Adding five mins to comprising the network. Mac address are sent unencrypted. Give Snort five mins to decrypt the WEP key, or a little longer for WAP and then you kick a camera off the network and pretend you are it via spoofing your own MAC address. Voila....you can either emulate the camera or you can view the other cameras.

Going wireless isn't as trival for large installations as it seems.

You're right about the bandwidth but, man, those images are unbelievable. I would think 2-3ips would be enough for recording purposes b/c of the digital zoom capabilities you get after the fact. Check out this website: http://www.arecontvision.com/

Looks good.

I looked at it on an HD monitor and I could see the detail so well that I know they need to wash their windows.

Mac address are sent unencrypted

ummm not neserilly for 1 u encrypt the whole data process using a hardware buffer before interaction with the wireless card. these buffers use a key system kinda similar to pgp.

and i just looked and WOW thats the kindof setup im talking about. even though its sales pitch so im sure better there and in reality lol!

still that kit is awsome. have sent of a form. would be very intersted to see how good they are in low light and the cost.