YUTAK

IR Camera Leds

I have to mount IR cameras in an area that is completely dark. Is there anything I can do to prevent the LEDS being visible (red glow) and the camera, consequently, easily detected? Thanks for any suggestions.

Besides putting a filter in front that could hide the IR but also make it useless... you need to spend more money on a camera (or more likely a separate illuminator) with "more invisible" IR - like something above 950nm. I am guessing yours is in the 850nm range.

I am looking for this type of camera and could use some leads. I would like an outdoor IDN (with invisible IR source) and have looked at the Extreme EX40N series. This looks like it will work, but runs about US$500 +/-. If I could find something in the US$300 +/- I would be a little happier. Have also looked at the Speco CVC-7706DNV but have not determined what wavelength the illumination is.

The camera will be mounted under the overhang of my house. I want to monitor the area under and to the side of the camera location (wall of house and adjacent yard). I will need a wide angle of view, and IR illumination not more than 50 feet. I don't necessarily need one type of camera or the other (dome vs. bullet) but the smaller the better.

Any leads greatly appreciarted.

Thanks,

ks

PS. Would not an IR source be invisable by definition? That is: infra-red is below the red portion of the visible spectrum?

Poor guy that did those projects spent all that time and then got knocked by the critics.

You can save money if your willing to trade off a lot of time. Learning by trial and error and usually expense. If you have good electronics skills and soldering delicate components that go for it. 5 LED's though. Just enough to barely light his face a few inches away.

If you want the infrared to be invisible to the human eye you're going to have to buy the more expensive infrared illuminators.

From what I have read the Speco does not use the 940nm ir leds they use the 850nm so an orange glow will be present. I am currently using the extreme ex40 mnx cameras with the 940nm leds and they work very well. Rory explained that there is an approximately 20% decrease in pic quality and distance using the higher nm led's but they are still clear. I have learned, (the hard way), the wiring is very important with these cameras, power hunger when using the led's. I'll post pic when I can. I would definitely recommend them. I started a similar thread looking at the topic in "backyard camera" but will probably stick with the extreme line because of the results I have had.