Newbie999

Very basic question: Video cable for building my house?

This is a very basic question from a nearly totally ignorant poster in the USA. I am having a house built, but it's not mine until I close. Thus I cannot string my own video/alarm/etc cables until the sheetrock is up. However, the builder uses a Security Firm sub-contractor who will install a 4 or 8 camera system (Samsung like the SDS-P5101 uses "BNC/Power extension cables") for $2k or $4k respectively, USD. That's a lot of money. These are "wired" not WiFi (wireless?) cameras. He could, however, install just the cables (now, before the sheetrock goes up) for about $100 per camera. I am thinking that's a better option, money-flow wise. I meet with the subcontractor next week to discuss details.

My Questions:

1. Is there any sort of standard for video cables?

2. What are "BNC/Power extension cables" - is THAT the standard...or a standard?

3. Assuming those are standard cables, what cameras and NVRs might be "better" than Samsung? I do not need anything special in the camera other than quality...the functionality of the Samsung cameras in the kit above is fine.

4. If the ones Samsung uses are not standard, what other cameras and NVRs (etc?) will function properly with the Samsung cables?

Thanks!

BNC cables are for analog cameras. I would not bother. If they are going to pre-wire, ask for CAT5E or CAT6 cables. Newer, digital, high quality cameras run on standard ethernet cables.

I vote Cat6.

Edit: I should probably expand. Cat6 will be good for future proofing and will work for standard definition analog cameras and HD IP cameras. The only other type that doesn't cover is HD analog over coax and there's no reason to go that route unless you have existing cable in place (which you don't).

Cat5e will work just as well as Cat6 and be slightly cheaper, but in the event that IP cameras ever require something more than Cat5e, you'll already be setup for it. Personally, I think it's worth spending the extra money to eliminate the risk.

I vote Cat6.

Edit: I should probably expand. Cat6 will be good for future proofing and will work for standard definition analog cameras and HD IP cameras. The only other type that doesn't cover is HD analog over coax and there's no reason to go that route unless you have existing cable in place (which you don't).

Cat5e will work just as well as Cat6 and be slightly cheaper, but in the event that IP cameras ever require something more than Cat5e, you'll already be setup for it. Personally, I think it's worth spending the extra money to eliminate the risk.

Thanks for the replies. I am learning, and this has helped. Am I correct that CAT* is the newer cables, and carries audio, power and video? BNC only does power and video?

Can cameras that use BNC use CAT* cables and vice versa?

Which cable type is the more common for the typical residential installation?

Thanks!

CAT5/6 cable is a digital cable, it is the same kind of cable you connect to your computer for internet. It has the ability to carry any digital signal (audio, video, data, etc).

BNC is actually a connector typically found on analog cables. These analog cables only carry one signal at a time (audio or video) and most are run Siamese with a power cable.

Listen to the above posts...whatever you do, run high quality CAT6 cable....the if the builder will not let you do it yourself have a contractor do it...DO NOT let them run bnc its a total waste of your money...you dont need them to install cameras at this time just run the cable...I would by the cable myself from monoprice so i know they are using good stuff.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10234&cs_id=1023401&p_id=8103&seq=1&format=2

Do net let them sell you an analog system.

Is it proper to call CAT* cable "Ethernet" cable and vice versa? Really appreciate all this information as I meet with the contractor in a couple of days.

I am convinced I need to run CAT cable as your help.....now tell me if there is anything special about the cameras or NVR/DVR that I'd need for that cabling?

Thanks so much!

Is it proper to call CAT* cable "Ethernet" cable and vice versa? Really appreciate all this information as I meet with the contractor in a couple of days.

I am convinced I need to run CAT cable as your help.....now tell me if there is anything special about the cameras or NVR/DVR that I'd need for that cabling?

Thanks so much!

Yes you can use it interchangeably...Yes there is something special about those cable..we are saying that in a new home you should not be installing coax/bnc/rg59/rg6 cable for cameras (you still may need it for cable tv)...you want ethernet because IP cameras and NVR require Ethernet connections...DO NOT let him convince you that you dont need ethernet run...you want an ip system..

You will need an ip camera sysem not analog or hd over coax like cvi...

http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100144938.html

I would definitely go with the very best Ethernet cable you can possibly afford and not run any coax. Go with CAT 7 if possible, CAT 6e or CAT 6, at the minimum. Not only will that Ethernet cable be able to carry your cameras but it will distribute audio and video for your entertainment systems as well. The cable will be so over-capable for carrying CCTV video that you could easily tap in at any port with an inexpensive Ethernet switch and share the same run with data, Internet, entertainment type video, audio, home automation, etc.

I would definitely go with the very best Ethernet cable you can possibly afford and not run any coax. Go with CAT 7 if possible, CAT 6e or CAT 6, at the minimum. Not only will that Ethernet cable be able to carry your cameras but it will distribute audio and video for your entertainment systems as well. The cable will be so over-capable for carrying CCTV video that you could easily tap in at any port with an inexpensive Ethernet switch and share the same run with data, Internet, entertainment type video, audio, home automation, etc.

Thanks so much for all the help. But we have decided to wait until we've moved into the house to rig the surveillance system.

Thanks so much for all the help. But we have decided to wait until we've moved into the house to rig the surveillance system.

If your house is being built and the walls are open, it is very foolish to wait...run the cable now..

If your house is being built and the walls are open, it is very foolish to wait...run the cable now..

Yeah, IF I can the money now! The cost between installation now and after the build is not significant, nor is the difference in the "cosmetics" of the installation.

I dont know where you got your estimates..but there should be a significant cost reduction by installing in open walls..rather than fishing through closed walls...

If you're building the house, you can run your own cables. Just run your own cat6 AND coax for just the cost of the wire. Then you can do whatever you want after the sheetrock is up. Running cables before the sheetrock is up will save you A LOT.

If you're building the house, you can run your own cables. Just run your own cat6 AND coax for just the cost of the wire. Then you can do whatever you want after the sheetrock is up. Running cables before the sheetrock is up will save you A LOT.

He has already stated that he cant run the cable during construction , he has no rights to be on the site until the sale is closed. Assuming these are outside cameras then the only wall sheeting to consider is where the cables drop to the recorder. This can easily be catered for by dropping a "pull wire" into the wall before sheeting and then the cabling can be done at your leasure & by yourself if your so inclined

He has already stated that he cant run the cable during construction , he has no rights to be on the site until the sale is closed. Assuming these are outside cameras then the only wall sheeting to consider is where the cables drop to the recorder. This can easily be catered for by dropping a "pull wire" into the wall before sheeting and then the cabling can be done at your leasure & by yourself if your so inclined

That's a load of crap that he's being fed. I've overseen many residential and commercial construction projects. The only thing that ever kept an owner from being on site was possible safety issues. And unless there's any fire code or other building codes that he has to adhere to for cabling, he can just run the wire himself and do everything else later.

Samir I dont know about USA but I'm guessing its not much different to here. Until the ownership has been asigned the builder is responsible & liable for the site. Health & safety , public liability & indemnity to name a few. Anyone who is not covered by the builders insurances puts a huge amount of risk onto the builder that he would rather not have. I have already mentioned the easy way around this problem.

Samir I dont know about USA but I'm guessing its not much different to here. Until the ownership has been asigned the builder is responsible & liable for the site. Health & safety , public liability & indemnity to name a few. Anyone who is not covered by the builders insurances puts a huge amount of risk onto the builder that he would rather not have. I have already mentioned the easy way around this problem.
That is the same case here. However, the builder knows that the homeowner ultimately owns the end product and will allow site visits, changes, and additions--even by the owner himself/herself.

The liability is more with commercial projects and yet we as the owners can roam anywhere we want, provided with safety gear if necessary. It's never been an issue nor should it be.

Well no builder here would do it as it leaves them exposed to all sorts of problems

The same in Canada

Interesting. It's probably different for different projects in the US in different geographies, but I've never found one that doesn't let the owner have their way at the site.