slovey

Boosting Power

Specs:

-rg6 siamese direct burial cable runs (18 gauge) of 215 meters (@700 ft)

-HDCVI cameras that pull 5.5 watts or less (460 mA by my calculations)

-12v DC 29amp 18 channel power supply

Problem:

-all cameras have power, but losing image at night when the IRs turn on

Question:

How can I boost the power? Some type of amp or power booster?

Or, should I increase the amperage at the power supply?

You need to measure the voltage AT THE CAMERA at night with the IR operating. That will give you a clue as to what is going on.

I already know there is a voltage drop. How do I fix it? I don't have any power source any closer and I don't want to run thicker gauge cable for that distance. So, is there a way for me to boost the power within my current setup?

You need to measure the voltage AT THE CAMERA at night with the IR operating. That will give you a clue as to what is going on.

Also, I don't have anything to test the voltage on the DC connector. Is there some cheap,reliable device that does just that?

Is there any truth to this??

" The Voltmeter has a very low amp draw, and will show less voltage drop because of that. Once the camera is reintroduced in the circuit, the voltage drop will change, making the measurement ineffective."

I have NOT said to disconnect the camera. The voltage reading must be done at the camera while it is connected & the IR is on. You should be able to buy a cheap multimeter for less than $20.

A simple calculation using 12Vdc as your power supply , 460 mA as the current drain and 700' of 18 awg as your cable gives a voltage drop of 4.12V meaning load voltage is 7.88V. This is way below what you would expect the camera to run on.

I have NOT said to disconnect the camera. The voltage reading must be done at the camera while it is connected & the IR is on. You should be able to buy a cheap multimeter for less than $20.

A simple calculation using 12Vdc as your power supply , 460 mA as the current drain and 700' of 18 awg as your cable gives a voltage drop of 4.12V meaning load voltage is 7.88V. This is way below what you would expect the camera to run on.

I have a multimeter, but I don't see how to use it if the contacts are not exposed while the cameras are connected. The real question is what is the solution. How do I get enough power to the cameras??

I have a multimeter, but I don't see how to use it if the contacts are not exposed while the cameras are connected. The real question is what is the solution. How do I get enough power to the cameras??

The REAL question is - do you want to understand your problem or do you just want somebody else to solve it for you? Given that the voltage drop is 4.12 volts (for the parameters you have given) then getting a power supply that provides 4.12 volts ABOVE the nominal 12V required by the camera will offset that voltage drop. So a 16Vdc power supply will solve your problem -for the specific camera in question

The REAL question is - do you want to understand your problem or do you just want somebody else to solve it for you? Given that the voltage drop is 4.12 volts (for the parameters you have given) then getting a power supply that provides 4.12 volts ABOVE the nominal 12V required by the camera will offset that voltage drop. So a 16Vdc power supply will solve your problem -for the specific camera in question

The REAL answer is - I came here for help, NOT looking for a condescending jerk to give me attitude.

I do NOT need to understand all or any of the math/physics/science behind the solutions for any answer I seek on the internet. And, if you believe that all the people looking for answers in forums want to be taught, or want to be shown how to solve the equations themselves, you are delusional. I do like to learn new things, but I want to be the one to decide what I want to learn, and in this case I am in a time crunch.

I am here for an answer to my problem. Low voltage wiring is not my specialty, and I came here for answers...for solutions. However, I have understood from the very beginning that there was a voltage drop, and I provided all of the specs I had so it would help someone who knew what they were doing give me a solution to my problem. Just like if I can help someone on Quora with info I have, I will. I don't require them to learn why the solution works.

I am sure I will have more issues with this install seeing how I am an under-qualified novice (tried paying a couple of installers originally, but I had such bad experiences I gave up looking and did it myself). However, I doubt I will look for answers here again since they can be dispensed so begrudgingly.

He's NOT being a jerk - if you read his last response he has given you a solution. Power that camera with a 16v power supply to compensate for the voltage drop you are experiencing.

The REAL answer is - I came here for help, NOT looking for a condescending jerk to give me attitude.

I am sure I will have more issues with this install seeing how I am an under-qualified novice (tried paying a couple of installers originally, but I had such bad experiences I gave up looking and did it myself). However, I doubt I will look for answers here again since they can be dispensed so begrudgingly.

He is giving you not just the answer, but even explaining to you why. It should make you wonder who the jerk is around here.

You should surely go find your answers somewhere else next time.

So I take time out of my life to not only give you the answer you seek but also explain the solution to you and for my efforts get labelled a condescending jerk. Your opening post seems more of a demand for an answer than a request for people to help. I think you have serious character flaws.

I have re done my calculations & it seems I made a mistake. What you REALLY need is a 62.5Vdc power supply.

12v to 20v 5amp power supply will do your job

Just turn up voltage till you have 12v at camera

Thank you for the help.

Where can I find a 5amp power supply with a variable adjustable voltage of 12-20v?

Through searching I was able to find a power supply that had 12-13.8 volts, but I couldn't find anything that was 12-20v.

Here is another solution - solar panels with a charger for the backup batteries!

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't think I would be able to power the cameras where I live due to the number of consecutive overcast days we have and the inability to get direct sunlight - may require a very large battery. And, I already have the cable in place for traditional power.

I do really like the idea of solar power though and I would have liked to set it up that way.

The voltage drop calculator is not even close to matching my real world situation.

For example, I have the following:

12v DC power supply (18 ch./1.6amp per channel)

Camera draw @700-1000mA

Cable run of 600ft

18 gauge cable (stranded)

According to the SuperCircuits voltage calculator, I should have a drop in voltage of 5.38v (minimum draw - 700mA), which would leave only 6.62v, and shouldn't power this camera. But, it is working fine. And, the measured voltage under load is 8.9v. I understand that there are real world factors that can't be applied with a voltage calculator, and the power supply is actually putting out 12.7v rather than 12v, but a difference of 2.28v seems extreme. Am I missing something?

Also, would it be possible to use a 24vac power supply with a 24vac to 12dc converter at the camera?

Solution:

I used a 24vac 40VA power supply with a 24vac to 12vdc adapter at the camera.

Notes: I found some ac/dc adapters/converters that had an input voltage range of 20-24v (common) and some that had an input range of 16-28v (harder to find). As long as you are getting at least 20v at the camera, it shouldn't matter which you use. If you are getting less than 20v, you may need the adapter with the lower input range.

40VA roughly translates into @1.6amps DC. You may be able to use a 20VA or 30VA power supply if you need less amperage for your cameras - there are online conversions from VAC to VDC that can help you decide which power supply you need.

He is giving you not just the answer, but even explaining to you why. It should make you wonder who the jerk is around here.

You should surely go find your answers somewhere else next time.

QFA

So I take time out of my life to not only give you the answer you seek but also explain the solution to you and for my efforts get labelled a condescending jerk. Your opening post seems more of a demand for an answer than a request for people to help. I think you have serious character flaws.

I have re done my calculations & it seems I made a mistake. What you REALLY need is a 62.5Vdc power supply.

would that be a rear entry version your answer in you post to the op was sound and i think you helped the op alot.

12v to 20v 5amp power supply will do your job

Just turn up voltage till you have 12v at camera

Thank you for the help.

Where can I find a 5amp power supply with a variable adjustable voltage of 12-20v?

Through searching I was able to find a power supply that had 12-13.8 volts, but I couldn't find anything that was 12-20v.

it appears to be honest that your out your depth if i was you id leave the cctv installations to the professionals in the future./

The answer to your question is to power the camera locally , calculating cable length and voltage drop to overvolt from source is not a good idea, if you calculate to get 12v to camera when the IR is on , you are gonna get more voltage when the IR is off.Measuring the cable will not give you a true idea , you need to know what the current the camera is drawing as well as voltage.

The answer to your question is to power the camera locally , calculating cable length and voltage drop to overvolt from source is not a good idea, if you calculate to get 12v to camera when the IR is on , you are gonna get more voltage when the IR is off.Measuring the cable will not give you a true idea , you need to know what the current the camera is drawing as well as voltage.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that wasn't possible. The full solution I used is posted, but the gist of it is I used a 24v power supply with a 12v adapter at the camera. It works great and the camera is getting right at 12v, even with a 4v drop.