normicgander

TechSec IP Conference

yep! unless you have to intergrate into an exisiting company network (and to be honest you should be seperating from any data or voip network if tis a large network setup they have unless your mad!) then its easy life

Cisco certification is overkill and frankly only the network admins should be touching the router. That doesn't mean that the CCTV guy can't know what ports are in use and why. Or understand how deploying the IP cameras or DVR affects network traffic.

yeah thomas for sure, can see it would be usefull for the cctv company to be able to do the dedicated network side for the cctv part. however only the company should touch their internal network setup.

Heck I rejoice if they have a decent IT guy at all!

Then I go to check out Dedicated Micros and they claim all of their tech support are MSCEs. Maybe thats why their standalone is ~$3500.

I especially find it odd when their system isn't running windows... I haven't been too overly impressed with the MSCEs I have delt with in the past but take way their OS and what should I expect?

MSCE's are like any other certifactions. Some are good, some are bad....hell I am Stam certificted for CCTV but do you want me hanging cameras for you?

The trend I have been seeing is they hire a dotcomie, get hacked, hire an old school unix grand master and pay em for 2-5 years. Once their structure is up and running killer they ax him and hire somebody with no experience for half the money.

I'm waiting to see what happens after the guru has been out for 5, 10, 15 years. They seem to have an unbelievable ablilty to hold grudges only paralleled by their ability to annoy undetected.

As threads go this one is particularly interesting, not least because at a fundamental level, no one is really disagreeing.

Whatever the tools whether they're IP or analogue, they are there to be used, and hopefully in the most cost effective and efficient way possible.

As we all know, in the real world things aren't always done for the most ... professional of reasons.

There is a huge lack of education in all areas of the industry, and whilst there is a lot to be said for sticking to what you know, most businesses fail simply because they refuse to grow and adapt.

Most of the day to day 'operational' problems I come across, were ironed out in the early '80s, but for various reasons, as an industry we've slipped back on the evolutionary scale, to a point where I'm beginning to see the same mistakes now being made by a third generation intent on using only IP based equipment.

It really isn't relevant which technology is being used, if it's not being used correctly. Old school or new wave, if it's not doing what the client needs, then it's not doing!

The interesting thing about this forum is you won't ever hear anyone say, I don't want to learn any more, I know enough already. That I guess is why we are all here, and long may it continue.

Hell Ya Cooperman!!! I love Technology!!! I just with it would get to the point where I can a pill or plug something into my head that will download it all on my brain at once and then like once a week you get updated. Its being developed faster then we can keep up. I have put together more Wireless IP and old school integrating with new school every day. Truth be told no 2 systems are the same but they all contain similar properties Surv, Entertainment, Security, Access Control, Environmental Control, Fire Burg, Home Automation and many others for which they where designed and integrated. I just wish I had more time to play with all the new toys.

What an interesting post, I thought I would add my view:

I can see the value of IP and Analogue and more importantly Hybrid machines, the advantages that are clear for IP are that you can more directly configure your bandwidth, you can also remove your NVR from it's physical location and take it to another location on the same network, you can easily change a camera with a better compression chip and upgrade software and this is easier than changing a DVR board.

I also think IP cameras can do better resolution at the cost of bandwidth and the ability to dual stream to several locations does make it a very reliable option.

A IP solution is only as good as it's redundancy and it is in this area that I have seen very few good IP solutions. What happens when the network goes down? There are some box's that are IP Webservers with built in redundancy, but then you are only basically building a DVR at each camera and increasing your cost.

Not every site can be trenched, try doing it across a road or try cabling 12klm at an airport to control a PTZ, the IP cameras can have the protocol sent on wireless ethernet and then they can be moved later.

Hybrid machines allow you to connect your local cameras and stream in a few extras, you may want to stream from your house to work for recording purposes, it is entirely possible that you might have a chain of stores that all only need one camera and then have a main office with 16 cameras in it, this can all be done on one box, streaming 16 remote sites and connecting 16 local cameras, this allows the saving of 16 DVR units so there are benefits to cost as well.

IP cameras can go on existing networks, so sometimes cabling is not required as much, Imagine doing a shopping centre and running hundreds of cables instead of 1x fibre network, the cost difference can be amazing.

IP is still new...when DVR was new it was expensive as hell, the reason was you had to pay for the development of the product, you are doing the same with IP now!

I personally prefer standard DVR's and more so Standalone DVR's especially those with built in UPS devices, the more your company grows the more support you need to do, there is a lot more support in IP than there is in analogue and this means unless you are structured correctly you will not survive..

My thoughts are that a lot of analogue type installers will fall away once they have to change to IP, because they will not have learnt enough about IP and will have to subcontract.

I do not think IP is anywhere near worth the hype at this stage and nor do I think it will be, until the bandwidth is available to afford to stream 16 cams or more from several sites to one location, this will mean security companies can become more like SAN places and charge for the connection.

All businesses require you to be dynamic and although analogue companies will try to make it hard for IP (standards, licences etc etc) they will not stop them, the fact is that storage gets smaller every day (in physical size) POE is everywhere almost, and there are very few buildings not pre cabled with ethernet.

With storage onboard the camera for redundancy and the ease of install I can only see a future for IP and not Analogue and as soon as the bandwidth is readily available you will see massive investment into the industry.

I just hope Microsoft stays out of it!!!!