go_snow

Security system with satellite internet (remote location)

Evening everyone. Little background of my situation. I run a concrete and crushing company with a remote crushing site. We have had numerous copper thefts (one of which totaled more than 25k in wire theft). Not only is it money out of our pockets, it is a huge time killer (rewiring). Decided to go with a security system that hopefully will deter the thieves. Thanks to this site, I've been able to throw together something that I think should work.

6 1080p cameras

Lorex DVR LNR 4080

4 lc-517 pirs

110 db siren

4 windows/door alerts

Broken Glass Monitor

Flashing red light

Have it all wired in, with the alarm signaling when any of the monitors are disrupted. My problem comes down to supplying internet to the remote site (houses near by so alarm will definitely bring attention). I know I can get satellite internet, but I have no idea the usage required by a dvr. I need internet as I will have my phone emailed when a siren is tripped and would like to be able to view the live cameras. Any suggestions on the gb usage per month of a dvr? Thanks and sorry for the long post. Best Wishes, A.J.

There wont be any usage unless you are live viewing...the email notifications are use very little data...the problem with satellite is that many doing give you a public ip address to be able to lof into your NVR....can you get cable or dsl?

Haven't dealt with satellite internet. So there becomes an issues with emailing from Dvr using satellite rather than DSL? I haven't looked into DSL, but it would require runnkng about 600 ft of line if the closest telephone pole can even carry DSL.

Haven't dealt with satellite internet. So there becomes an issues with emailing from Dvr using satellite rather than DSL? I haven't looked into DSL, but it would require runnkng about 600 ft of line if the closest telephone pole can even carry DSL.

See if u can use IP radio

u can easily get distance of few thousands feet and more

The issue is not with emailing..that will work...it viewing the live/recorded video remotely that will be a problem.

Find your local Videofied installer. you arm and disarm the system just like an alarm system. when the motion viewer see motion it uses cellular to send a clip to the monitoring company who can then dispatch the police or notify you.

looking at video the next day won't do you any good

Instead of satellite, I'd go with 3/4g cellular, which should be much faster even in remote areas.

Rather than a siren, install voice speakers and use audio challenge to shout at intruders.

This lets them know the system *is* working, they *are* being watched, and the cops *are* on their way.

Satellite would be fine. Make sure you go with Excede instead of Hughes because Hughes requires a static IP for remote viewing or other functions you might need. Usually you would only consume the bandwidth against the cap when you are looking at it remotely. It wont use a lot when it is sending alerts here and there.