nellson

My GeoVision 1240 actually catches a thief!

I had posted here last Sept asking for advice on a home security system. ScottJ answered me and set me up with a GeoVision 1240 series with 4 bullet cams. I set it up and have sorta forgotten about it, until last Sunday Feb 26th at 1:34 am when my car and my wifes car was broken into in our driveway.

My porch light is not on, so most of the light is from a distanct street light and the builtin IR LED's on the camera.

Rory is hosting this for me, and keep in mind that I am showing the edited version here that I made the next day at work while I was bored. (I added the subtitles, the video is only cropped for time)

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/tmp/Midnight%20Shopper.wmv

The raw video was shown on my local news channels with an interview (KGW and KOIN of Portland Oregon)

Nick

Wow, what an idiot. No gloves, left lights on, tried to break into a unlocked car

So what happened? Did you get him?

That pisses me off watching that. I would have loved to have caught him and given him a 'talking to'.

Here is another car break in caught on a GEO last Summer.

Did the news do the video work or did you do that yourself?

And if you did do it yourself, great sense of humor and what program did you use? EDIT: Just noticed you did it yourself. Great Job. What software did you use?

Really made the guy look like an idiot, which of course he was.

Edited by Guest

which file is it .. oh well ill start downloading all of them

also G22 and Nick ... if you want to post the files and info in the following thread also please do .. thanks. want to get a nice compillation of various DVRs and various conditions/applications.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4466

PS, also looking for video clips from other DVRs besides just Geo.

The subtitles I did my self on MY version of the AVI. I use Windows Movie Maker. (the news crews didn't like the self commentary an wanted teh raw footage. That is what they used for teh interviews.)

I may submit my version still to the local comedy clubs, where that sorta thing is appropriate and appreciated.

Edited by Guest

The subtitles I did my self on MY version of the AVI. I use Windows Movie Maker.

i always thought Movie Maker wasn't that great, but I will have to give it a try again for such a project.

You have a great sense of humor, which is evident in your video.

You got some bright motion lights up there now. Anybody tries that again they will be in living color.

After the publicity I don't think you will have any more problems.

With the constant mentioning of how much my system costed, and that they published my house on a map with an arrow AND my address, I figure in the next day or so I'll have an excess suply of Egg Yolk :\

In no way am I trying to sound like a jerk or be a party pooper. Just my personal opinion on it. So with that said:

it caught the action of the thief but seemed like to me it was in no way effective for any type of evidence that would tie that person to the crime. criminals around here would come right back knowing especially that any identifiable features would be discarded by the system.

Yup, with teh system as you saw, I'd agree. I have now mounted halogen flood lights over that area. What you see in the video is the tiny IR LED's showing delusions of grandure..

I am also in the process of looking at PTZ dome cams to replace the exterior cams so I can get in on the action just a little better.

Basically, seeing what I got already shows me what can be improved.

My next thought was to get one of those 12Volt pinhole board cams, the wireless kind, and use it in my dashboard aimed out to the seats. While the car is in the driveway, the garage GeoSystem would record the feed. They hardly draw anything so they could be left wired to my car battery for days and not kill it. Or maybe have my auto-alarm (also had them installed on both cars that next day) power the cam on one of it's inputs so it is only on while armed.

What do ya all think?

Nick

Maybe you can mount a day/night vari-focal dome just above the garage and really frame your cars, this will give you a better attempt at a face shot! Maybe even one camera per car if the budget allows.

The motion lights are good too! Anything that will detour the theif is better than catching them after they steal something!

Yes, agreed. I'd rather scare them away.

The thought with the PTZ's scanning the CulDeSac is that I will cover more area per location allowing more cams around the house. I have an 8 input system and would like to keep 3 inside the house (they work great as omnipotent parent cams in the kids rooms, nothing beats the look on my 4 year old when I KNOW his baby sister didn't do it

Nick

The thought with the PTZ's scanning the CulDeSac is that I will cover more area per location allowing more cams around the house.

Just keep in mind that a PTZ most likely won't get you any more recognition that your cam used from the posted video........unless it happens to be dialed in on the cars in the evening!

HIGHLY interested in the success of a dash mounted board cam.

I would never put a PTZ in this app.

I would put a good cam recessed in a hole in the garage door. Almost every theif is going to do it just about as he did, analize the height of the guy and the angle of his looks. The cam really needs to be lower and looking straight down between the vehicles.

2 more that capture the tags/traffic on the street. In a residence you can time the guy against a car not in the FOV as long as you can show them enter/exit it.

The downside I have come accross mounting cameras inside of vehicles is the glare. Its no different than mounting a camera on your house, but instead mounting it in the living room shooting out the window. Now if the guy opens the car and you get a clean shot, then great, but you'll have to have good light, or infrared, then with infrared, you will expose the "hidden" camera.

Hey Nellson, do you have security yard signs mounted anywhere in your neighborhood?

If I was you and you want a good quality shot of that area is put a panasonic SDIII 484 looking at that location with the cars. There are not many cameras that can produce a clean, crisp, very well distributing of the light available. It is hard for me to judge the actual level of light that was out their that night of the video, It looks like it has a street light across the street. There is plenty of light (looks like) for the panasonic 484 would give a perfect shot.

The first girl was bad enough. The 2nd one was so calm even after the other girl darted out of the store.

She stole all that Jewerly and then calmly went over and stole a purse before leving the store.

They should have took the plea bargan.