fas

ir day/night dome cams

How well do these types of cameras work? Does the ir reflect against the clear cover? do they work as well as bullet cameras? Can all of them be mounted vertically? Thanks.

there are many different types, and they all work differently.

Any brands in mind?

They have some good Day/Night domes.

Some can be mounted vertically, like the Sayno VDC-1184VA.

Others have a gimbal that will allow you to position the camera at different angles.

I personally would avoid IR in the dome, but if a customer wants cheap that that is what you have to give them.

Is it for indoor or outdoor?

Your not going to get any type of quality Day/Night camera for that amount of money. Not a true Day/Night camera anyway. Maybe a cheap OEM or something, I don't know?

nope .... that would be a very entry level dome, no gimble, and pretty shabby IR feature.

What would you guys recommend if his budget was (EDIT) $500-$800 in a Day/Night Dome, for outside?

Oh yeah and can mount vertically and has a 360 degree gimbal?

And it has to be surface mount, not flush.

That is a more realistic budget I think.

Edited by Guest

well if we are talking retail, that still doesnt cut it, and if we arent, we should take this into the dealer section ...

Cheaper Vandal Day Night Domes with Gimbles:

Nuvico, Vitek, Hunt - and Other OEMs from South Korea.

Expensive with Gimbles:

Extreme . . anyone else ..?

OK FAS, your just too cheap.

OK, lets say I am looking for a good Day/Night Dome, similar to the specs of the Sanyo, but will hold up outside.

And it has to be a surface mount, not a flush.

What would you recommend?

Well the Sanyo doesnt actually have a 360 gimble, it is still limited to how far you can move it to the left, right, up, or down.

Budget would be more like mid range .. like Vitek, Nuvico, Hunt, etc, there are a brands of South Korean Domes (which they mostly use) and have the 360 gimble. They are OEM so you will find many start ups and ones like the above mentioned, using the same dome, but with various different custom specified options.

Yeah, that is why I was asking. With the Gimbal it allows you to point the camera at different angles even mounted vertically and still keep the picture straight right? Or does it just give you a 360 degree turning radius?

Sounds like hopeful thinking on my part. Doesn't even make sense to me, but maybe I am wrong.

If it just allows turning the camera a full 360 degrees than a camera that has the same ability of the Sanyo that can withstand the weather is fine. Up and down is alright.

Edited by Guest

you can turn the camera any way you want - up, down, left, right, etc. no matter which way the dome itself is mounted.

For example: If you wall mount it, and then adjust the camera to the right all the way, you can then adjust the camera clockwise or counter clockwise to straighten it. A camera that can only go up and down would be useless in that situation, as then you would have to mount the housing elsewhere, looking directly at the FOV.

Edited by Guest

OK. I am a lttle confused now.

If I mount a dome vertically I can't really use the gimble to rotate the camera without the picture going all sideways on me can I?

I can only use the pan and tilt function, but not the gimbal right?

Or is there a 3rd axis to allow me to point it at an angle and keep the picture straight?

Hmmmm ... okay ... using a Monitor attached to the Video Out, Spliced with a T-Connector, or just running back and forth to the main monitor .... if you want the FOV to be something to the right of the camera ... turn the camera to the right ...it may/may not go off level, if it does, then using the same gimble, adjust the horizontal level of the camera so it straightens out.

The gimble, or whatever the manufacturer calls it, basically allows full 360 degree spinning of the camera in any direction. It generally will stop as you direct it inside the dome housing itself, depending on the manufacturer.

Rory,

I usually stick with Nuvico. I am looking for an outdoor solution that is vandal proof. That being said, what is the best option? I can't go beyond $150 per camera, and it must be a vertical mount that can see sideways almost as close as the wall it is mounted on. If ir is out of the question, then maybe I can have them install lights.

Unfortunately I do not know of any domes in that price range with the 360 degree adjust feature and True Day Night - Dealer or Retail pricing. Not even Eclipse has that in that price range.

You maybe able to get a BW model though, WizKid for example, has that in their WZ46's.

Course things are changing daily, maybe one out there now .. .

You got that right. Nothing even close to $150, not even at dealer prices.

Try like at least 3-4 times that.

The Sayno's that Rory and I have are good cameras, but your not going to touch one at that really low unrealistic price. Where did you come up with these prices?

Maybe try to find some used older models or some rebuilts. I don't know, $150 dollars, come on.

Ill check on the Day Night Vandal Eclipse Dome tomorrow, I know it has built in IR seperated from the lens, much like the Sunkwang's IR Domes. Also high res. I cant say if it is fully adjustable or not yet, will know once ive checked. I doubt it is True Day Night also, so would have no IR Cut Filter. I havent used it but will check the specs at least. Its basically an OEM from Asia.

Jasper, he may get that price if he bought by the 100 from Asia

Edited by Guest

I didn't come up with these prices. It's what they gave me a budget for.

Looks like a job for a Bullet camera, also a budget one that doesnt have an IR Cut Filter.

Rory

Yep and those look like crap. Maybe a BW camera.

The budget you were given isn't enough for what their expectations might be. You might want to talk to them about it so they don't end up disappointed.

Rory,

On the Extreme EX46N / EX46NX for example they state a:

Full rotational XYZ gimbal. How does that work?

X = pan up

Y = Pan down

Z = Rotate

or

X = pan up/down

Y = Rotate

Z = 3rd axis, camera angle adustment?

Or

A = I don't know

B = I don't care

C = I am having a beer now.

D = All of the above

if they must have domes, it is going to be very budget equipment. Then you will want to probably look at a budget Color dome where lighting is decent, and a budget BW dome where it is low light. Ill still check out the one i mentioned tomorrow, but cant promise it will be within budget - and it is a budget camera. Domes are just more expensive than bullet cameras, even in the budget line.