fas

ir day/night dome cams

That dome camera you mentioned above Rory has an IR Cut filter. I don't know about the gimbal part, but it is up there in price. Not even close to $150.

The Speco LEDome/W Color Weatherproof Day/Night Dome Camera with External IR LEDs anyway. That is the one I am reffering to.

Thanks for trying. If you come up with any suggestions, please let me know.

yeah but that Speco model is 4 times the price, and thats dealer pricing.

For that price i would use the Extreme myself.

I am thinking of trying another Day/Night dome out other than the Sanyo.

Any recommendations off hand. It needs to be able to be outside, not direct weather, under a porch.

The Sanyos are Rated at IP66, which is dust tight and preteced against heavy seas. Any other ones out there that have the same range of operation and are around the same price, maybe a little more?

The range of operationof the Sanyo is 1.2 lux for color, .06 lux BW.

The Panasonic WV-CW474AS looks to have better specs:

.08 lux and .02 lux, with an optional clear dome cover. Otherwise it is 1.6 and .2 with the 50% smoked dome.

It has the 3 Dimension hinges which will allow you to postion the camera at any angle if I read this correctly.

Looks like a nice Day/Night Dome.

Got the specs wrong also:

Minimum Illumination At F1.4 Wide:

2.0lux (0.2fc) at color imaging mode

0.2lux (0.02 fc) at B/W mode

0.8lux (0.08 fc) at color image mode, with optional dome cover

0.1lux (0.01 fc) at B/W mode, with optional dome cover

How do you know it won't mount on the wall. Because it doesn't say so specifically?

Those Sanyos we bought still look pretty good for the money.

If I can't find something better close to the same price, this looks like it is still one of the best domes for the money?

I dont use the Sanyo either for wall mount, just not the right design .. WizKid, Extreme, GE, Hunt, Nuvico, etc, are more designed for wall mounting. ..

I have one wall mounted vertically. No problem.

I could have swore I read somewhere that they could be, but I can't remember where I might have read it.

The ones that are not supposed to be wall mounted, what happens does the camera not stay in postion or what is the deal with that whole issue?

Yeah, your right about that.

All up and down action only. But if that is all you need then the dome can work out nice. I am thinking of mounting a dome vertically above the front door. It doesn't use that much space. It costs less than box after factoring in the housing needed, plus the downside of the unit being larger.

I really like these Sanyo's. I have one laying on its side pointing out the front window with only a street light accross the street and it sees great.

For the money, I have used the new CAM 77 Varifocal Armor Dome from from Mace, and though not IR, but has a true DAY/NIGHT image at 540 TV Lines, DNR and dual voltage for the long runs.

It's the same camera American Sentry Guard calls the VisionCam RX at a much more competitive price.

That is a better priced camera, but it will not see as good as the Sanyo in low light. The CAM 77 is rated at .3 for color .1 for black and white.

.1 is not real good for black and white.

Also I don't see a IR filter on the camera so I would think if it is uesd outside the colors would be washed out?

It is cheaper than the Sanyo, but it would probably need external IR for low light, which means more money.

Jasper, if you haven't used the CAM 77 whether Mace brand or the VisionRX (same camera) from American Sentry Guard, I suggest you try before you knock either one, because it produces one heck of clear image without the aide of an external IR.

CAM 77 is a true day night dome.

FYI, Mace is a little behind on posting the correct specs for the CAM 77 line, check out the specs as listed at

http://www.sentryguard.net/dealer/rx.asp

Ditto. Have you tried the Sanyo VDC-D1184VA?

Does the CAM 77 have an IR filter. If not, it is not a true Day/Night Camera.

I promise you it is a way better camera than that MACE in every respect.

Specs are great lets see how it performs in the real world.

The Sanyo doesn't even need IR in low light, only in very dark situations.

And I am not knocking it. I am only pointing out the facts. Specs compared to specs, the MACE does not match the Sanyo.

Actually, those American Sentry Guard Cameras are good cameras, Made in South Korea (isnt Mace Chinese??) but ... they are NOT True Day Night cameras. There is a reason you pay double for the True Day Night camera, and that is mentioned on another Thread here.

BTW, the actual manufacturer of that camera does make True Day Nights, but the OEM companies are not selling them as they are trying to cut down on the cost, since in the case of the mentioned web site and many others, they sell primarily budget-mid range Asian Import (OEM) equipment. If they havent used many very good cameras, then they will think anything is "da bestest"

Its good to use the budget gear and have an offering for the client, but at the same time, as in the case of a colleague of mine that also sells those cameras, its good to know how a higher end camera performs and have those to offer also. The same goes with DVRs.

The lux rating I keep reading on these Day/Night domes are not very good in most cases. Many cases they use sens up, AGC or low IRE to exagerate the actual capabilities.

If it can't see at night they should call it a Day and almost dark camera.

What they are is almost identical to how an Exview Camera works, switches to a BW mode for additional Sensitivity, but it is not a true BW mode. Because these are Super HAD and not Exview, they must use Super AGC type settings (Sens Up) and other Digital Methods to try to get as low as an Exview Chip, which if they were to use, would bring the price up considerably. Anyway thats my take on them.

Well what type of chip are they using in those Sanyo domes.

I know it is an interline transfer CCD, but how do you compare those?

Why does the Sanyo see so good in low light compared to these other domes? They just have better lenses?

The Sanyo is a True Day Night camera, the BW Mode uses a Mechanical Filter to remove the Chroma.

So do some of these others, but they still don't see in BW down to .06 lux or .04 lux I saw it stated in another one of Sanyos documents.

What day/night dome gets that low in that price range?

Or even a little higher, not the Extreme priced Extremes Rory, though you could mention one just for reference.

Most True Day Nights will be the same lux settings, lux is all a game anyway, and the lens used has a large effect on how low they can go also. If it is Exview then it will go even lower. The BW Mode is normally a lower lux as there is no color, like 0.1 lux.

Nothing can match a seperate BW camera anyway.

Well if lux is all a game, would it not be in these other company's best interest to advertise lower specs? Is Sanyo being dishonest?

OK, what domes do you know regardless of their specs that see as good in low light as these Sanyos. I am not saying the Sanyo dome it the best.

I just don't know one off hand in the same price range that is better, do you? Brand, model?

Does anybody?

Is the Sanyo Dome the best Day/Night camera for the money that can see in really low light?

Hmmm.