a94cobra

Geovision Hybrid card

It was probably used before PC's got so powerful.

You don't really need it if you are running a modern system.

It takes the load off the CPU because it is doing the compression on the card rather than utliizing the computers CPU.

The image quality is slightly better as well, only the recorded quality as it does not affect the live viewing. It is an improvement, however the cost factor for a smaller install would not justify the added expense.

Scottj

The image quality is slightly better as well, only the recorded quality as it does not affect the live viewing. It is an improvement, however the cost factor for a smaller install would not justify the added expense.

Scottj

100% agree...

I would think it might open up the PC specs as well but I haven't seen Geo saying it. Via northbridges would probably still not work but you can slash the CPU.

I know with real hardware compression to MPEG2 (Hauppage 250) at 720x480 on 2 realtime channels produces ~10% processor load in a P4 2.8 with XP not stripped, a nice GUI displaying the video buffer and multiple other small apps running.

Anywhere in the specs that Geo says depending on CPU speed talking about recording rate, it should take it to realtime almost regaurdless of CPU.