fastsvo

Need advice on which IP cam

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out which style (bullet, dome,etc) and lense (2mm,4mm,6mm,etc) is best suited for the front door of a single story home?

So far, I think the ideal setup is a dome style at 4 or 6mm. I would like to grab good detail of the person walking up to the door and when standing in front of the door, be able to see the person. The camera would be positioned off to the corner around the door frame.

Thanks!

The dome hides the camera view better, but can be more difficult to install and aim.

Built in IR causes some additional image problems.

So separate external IR is better to eliminate reflection, overly bright images and spider webs.

Also, use motion activated lighting if possible.

4mm is ok but 2mm is best for the front door.

Thanks for the advice.

I actually have a hikvision 3MP turret camera that covers my driveway and it's been great. I recall at the time, I was advised to go with this style of camera because the IR sensor was separate from the lense.

Their dome camera which has a mic and speaker capability looks very attractive because of these two features alone - perfect for the front door!

Bullets can be a few minutes faster to install, but for a position close to where a person could reach it, I prefer domes or turrets. I do a lot more turrets these days such as the Hik DS-2CD2342WD-I, but for domes, a person can't always tell which way it's pointed until they get right up close to it.

For a close-up location such as a doorstep, I typically choose a wide angle lens around 2.8mm.

And if you're wanting more detail, 2-3MP would do well, but going to 4MP would do great.

Hi Folks,

I am now just getting around to purchasing a camera for my front door. Before, I jump on the DS-2CD2532F is there anything else I should consider? I am seeing a lot of "Amcrest" cameras being promoted on Amazon now. Should I be concerned about buying a Chinese version?

Thanks!

anyone?

Hi. Have you looked at the ring door camera

You might find it is more suitable for a front door area.

Also records and gives you instant video to your mobile devices

The free cloud service is also a way to have off site recordings if your existing dvr is taken or fails at any point

https://ring.com

You should always be concerned about who is going to handle returns warranty and software patches. If support does come directly from china you may be out of luck or wait a long time for a replacement.