I'd be more intrested in the DVR to support it.

Yeah - you and me both.. futhermore, I'm curious how many cameras they'd be getting for the quoted $22,000.

We installed 8 sony ExWave 540 tvl cameras - 7 of them exterior w/heater/blower housings - all 7 requiring the use of a hi-lift. We did the job for $11,500 (equipment, head-end, and labor)....so I'm having a hard time understanding how they're going to replace all 7 of these exterior cams with their new magic 1500 tvl cams for less than twice the cost of our fee.

I can't find cameras anywhere with 1500 tvl. I think they're full of ****e and just trying to lie their way into us giving them a refund.

What does everyone else think?

Some interesting cameras there Rory -

What's your opinion on the practicality of using them in a surveillance application?

The last link you posted looks like a camera that's more applicable to machine vision/automation, etc.

They're not for CCTV really, I mean the high res is not supported on DVRs yet, so its okay if you are using or creating custom software, which is what machine vision is .. but yeah they are using them for security also, you just dont get the resolution with the DVR as if it were connected direct to the PC with the IEEE 1394 digital interface..

Also stuff like this

http://catalogs.infocommiq.com/AVCAT/CTL203/index.cfm?mlc_id=203&SID=15852221&pin_id=1786&ProdID=346140&T3=678

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/new_tec/camera/super.html

more .. these 1/6" ones are interesting .. longer zoom ..

http://www.daitron.com/camera/FCB_EX780S-FCB_EX780SP.htm

Alot of them //

http://www.daitron.com/camera/color_camera_module.htm

Sony's PDF

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professional/docs/brochures/fcbseries.pdf

And here is another OEM module ..

http://www.cnbtec.com/en_product/prdview.php?s_prod_code=AA004003

Unless he finds a DVR or adds a lot of firewire, that's not going to scale really well. I'm just trying to imagine the nightmare of CPU power needed to encode that much data off of eight cameras at 30 fps.

CSI and Las Vegas have given the public unrealistic views on CCTV. When clients want something outrageous they saw on TV, I tell them "Unfortunately our equipment does not have a Hollywood button"

Funny! I must remember that!:D

This is a very old thread and I'm not really sure how I came across it. We also had this same situation but without the sue threat. Customer wants to see the whole lot, the main road and the parking lot across the street from him. We advise strongly against it or install a second camera to cover the entrance at least to give him a better chance at hopefully capturing a plate. Well he had an incident where a vehicle came in 10pm at night just after he left and drove straight to a customer vehicle and swiped the stereo. We can tell car color, two individuals, their builds but no facial description nor plate as the pic was to washed out with the low light and bright vehicle lights. We have low lux cameras but the darn AGC feature is a catch 22.

We went out of our way and located footage during the day where that same vehicle was scoping out the place passing back and forth on the main road (so no plate). We backed everything up for them and sat there when the cops showed up to show them the footage. The cops stated that our video was much better than any video they saw at a Walmart! LOL we want to use his statement in our brochures...

Anyhow, with no plate or facial shot I can almost guarantee that our customer will never get anywhere with resolution on this case. We explained why and he acknowledged our communicating the concern with such a wide view. He still does not want to add another camera nor does he want us to tighten up the shot. Oh well.

I wanted to share what we have at the bottom of ALL our estimates and invoices. I had a lawyer word this up for us and I'll pass it on free of charge to you if you find a use in it or it brings maybe some piece of mind then you can thank me later

I make no claims about this legal statement nor that it will work in your case so use it at your risk or will......here is goes:

Customer hereby acknowledges that the equipment purchased from and/or installed by (put yout business name here) is solely intended to be used as a video surveillance device. (put your business name here) makes no claim or guarantee that the use of the products will prevent or deter theft. Neither (put your business name here) nor any of it's principal owners and/or investors shall be liable for any claim based on a customer's use of the Products sold by and/or installed by (put your business name here) regardless or whether or not the Products were functioning properly.

Like I stated maybe this will help you maybe not and if so here is a contribution from me This is at the bottom of all our printed invoices and estimates. So it is stated up front when they first get the estimate that we make no claims on the operation. We do our best at listening to the customer as the original poster stated but there comes a time where it is impossible to do what they want and you simply have to state this or walk away from the consulation because the customer is a cheap skate and does not really want a professionally installed system....basically they are tire kickers no real intent. Gotta use your judgement.

Good luck out there and CYA as best as possible.

I'm not a professional, just a home user...

My friends keep asking me to install CCTV for them, but I always refuse. My biggest issues are that I just can't bridge the gap between their CSI expectations and the real world, and I don't want to make myself liable for the system not working as they hope.

I use the same technique for my long driveway (one wide-angle camera to cover the whole area just so I know if there's someone there, and 60mm lens that shows one car-width at the choke-point on the driveway).

People don't understand why I have to have a special camera that only shows the width of the car in order to get a good plate read - they think that they can take an ebay bullet, take a picture of their street a zoom into read every license plate. I cringed the time CSI took a picture of a person's face, zoomed in to the subject's iris and were able to see a reflection of the photographer.... "Why can't YOU do that??"

Customer hereby acknowledges that the equipment purchased from and/or installed by (put yout business name here) is solely intended to be used as a video surveillance device. (put your business name here) makes no claim or guarantee that the use of the products will prevent or deter theft. Neither (put your business name here) nor any of it's principal owners and/or investors shall be liable for any claim based on a customer's use of the Products sold by and/or installed by (put your business name here) regardless or whether or not the Products were functioning properly.

It's nice when we all help each other.

3RDIGLBL - thanks for your advice, we definitely added a disclaimer after that fun little scenario way back when... we also have a sheet that we print out displaying the camera views, and the customer acknowleges and signs off on each view. No more bs.

eric9547 - With this particular customer - yeah, our attorney basically told him to take a long walk off a short pier .. and they never bothered us again.

It's been awhile since I've updated this thread, and I wanted to be sure and thank everyone for their constructive input.