Sign in to follow this  
dnfakrnl

What will happen if the camera gets higher voltage?

Let's say the 12v dc camera is getting 1-2v extra. So it would have around 13v-14v

What will happen to the camera?

Same goes to 24v ac cameras, if they have 1-2 extra voltage, will they go bad? or just not function like low voltage?

One of my camera(PTZ- http://www.ebay.com/itm/151632720693?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) from is getting a lower voltage and I can't shorten the cable(rg59) anymore so I need to get the regulator. My regulated power supply has output of 13.8v DC and other one supplies 14.2v DC.

The PTZ camera is getting 10.8v~10.9v, which is enough during the day and night with infrared activated. However my issue is, when I set up preset and have sequence mode on, it stops working during night time when infrared activates. Other than that it functions well enough during the day.

I was assuming anything between 12v-13v would be considered safe. I was curious what will happen if cameras get higher than regular voltage and what is the actual safe voltage?

According to your PTZ camera power specs, your camera can tolerate +10% of the input voltage (DC12V+10% 50W) that's around 1.2 volts. AT 100 feet in length using 18 guage wires at 14.2 VDC your losses is around 23% that's 2.64 volts (14.2-2.64=11.65 volts). You are very close to 12 volts but you forgot to mention the amps/wattage of the power supply you're using (14.2 VDC). Your PTZ consumption is 50 watts.

Good Luck!

Phil

There is no single answer for your question - it all comes down to the components used in the manufacture. The general voltage tolerance used to be anywhere from 20% to 1% depending on the component quality which you are not privy to. As far as the designer is concerned the tighter tolerances the better but that is not good news for you wanting to supply overvoltage to compensate for your poor installation design.

The most obvious result of running overvoltage is excess heat but you could probably get away with running up to 14V.

The very reason they make 24Vac cameras is to compensate for long cable runs and this is what you should've used in the first place

There is no single answer for your question - it all comes down to the components used in the manufacture. The general voltage tolerance used to be anywhere from 20% to 1% depending on the component quality which you are not privy to. As far as the designer is concerned the tighter tolerances the better but that is not good news for you wanting to supply overvoltage to compensate for your poor installation design.

The most obvious result of running overvoltage is excess heat but you could probably get away with running up to 14V.

The very reason they make 24Vac cameras is to compensate for long cable runs and this is what you should've used in the first place

I can't agree more. But it was a huge construction and installing cables can't be done anymore. So I'm trying my best to do anything from this point.

I honestly thought 70-80 ft would be tolerable even for PTZ camera despite being 12vdc.

There are a lot more dramas. The owner of this gas station is being a prick so I'm just trying to wrap things up as fast as I can.

Worst case scenario, he won't pay me although I've been working on this for about 2 month. Time was running out and I found this out at the very end..

But I learned a lot from this and I won't make the same mistake.

So moving on to topic, thanks for the reply.

Hi. Your cheapest way is 24v to camera and then drop it to 12v

But for a gas station .... I don't think you are going to get much life out of that PTZ ..... 12v and it has IR it moves it also has wiper blade that is a lot of work for 12v

How many of those PTZ cameras are you fitting ?

According to your PTZ camera power specs, your camera can tolerate +10% of the input voltage (DC12V+10% 50W) that's around 1.2 volts. AT 100 feet in length using 18 guage wires at 14.2 VDC your losses is around 23% that's 2.64 volts (14.2-2.64=11.65 volts). You are very close to 12 volts but you forgot to mention the amps/wattage of the power supply you're using (14.2 VDC). Your PTZ consumption is 50 watts.

Good Luck!

Phil

Thanks very much Phil!

This explained alot, I will make sure I check the specs next time!!

But for a gas station .... I don't think you are going to get much life out of that PTZ ..... 12v and it has IR it moves it also has wiper blade that is a lot of work for 12v

total of 4 of them.

Is that so? How long do PTZ usually last? Both 12v and 24v.

These PTZ's will be moving 24/7 on a sequence.

total of 4 of them.

Is that so? How long do PTZ usually last? Both 12v and 24v.

These PTZ's will be moving 24/7 on a sequence.

Boy oh boy isn't that going to chew up your HDD space

@ Tom the 24Vac cameras have a built in regulator that does just that.

a few years back I screwed up and used a 24 VDC power supply in a twelve volt system. severe contrast, nothing melted in the New Mexico summer heat. switched back when I figured out what I did wrong, everything still works.