bonzo

Help needed with home cctv system

Dear cctv enthusiasts,

Wonder if I could pick your brains on a little home cctv project?

I need 3 camera input (2 for outdoor and one baby cam) and two monitor output (one for bedroom and one for living room)

I need continuous recording of two outdoor cameras- Need advice on software for that

The biggest quandry is- how to get two outputs- one for the bedroom tv(for the baby cam) and the other for downstairs living room tv. I would like to minimise amount of cable that needs to be laid down for this.

My plan is to use a pc in the loft with the DVR card and try to get two outputs to the tv's.(need advice on appropriate graphics card on that) This way I have only the output cables and a networking cable to lay down.

I am new to this and have a strange feeling that there may be a simpler way of doing this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks[/b]

You can either buy a cctv card or a USB camera hub into the pc. You can also use T-connectors to split the signal to your TVs. Super Circuits (as well as many other companies) has the hub which is ok for home use. There are also some good wireless cams for the baby's room.

Are you going to use the tv's for watching tv too?? If so are you going to modulate the cctv cameras to different channels so you can utilize the existing cables already ran for cable tv?? If so do you have satalite or cable? Is it HD? Two outputs is easy, you could use a splitter, t connector or an inexpensive DA(distribution amp-recommended). If you already have a good PC you intend on using and budget isnt to much an issue I would use some IP cameras and a wireless hub or if your house is prewired with Cat 5 you could just plug and play using the right equipment.

First and formost, how you are going to run the power and video??.. Most newer homes are prewired with Cat 5. If that is not the case, running cable can get quite expensive. JMAN recommended IP cams-- which isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it wouldn't be my my first choice. You can get a cost efficient (stand alone) dvr--4 ch, networkable, w/ 160 gb hd,<1-2 weeks of storage with MPEG-4 compression>, most units have 2 outputs~~~ 4 cams, 1 monitor, psup, for a pretty reasonable price.

What is your budget?

Are you doing the install, or subcontracting?

Thank you all for your help. Responding to cctvqueen- I do not have cat 5 cable preinstalled in my house. Here in UK we have concrete walls downstairs and hollow plaster walls upstairs. So I intend to run a cat 5 cable up to the loft from my router downstairs, use a switch in the loft with a networked pc that stays on all the time.(this prevents fan noise from irritating us as well)

I am keen on using wired systems as the reliability of my wireless network worries me a bit.

Last but not the least, my budget is about £250. I think although IP cams would be good, I could get cheaper normal cams and let the software provide internet access to cctv images should I need to see them remotely.

By the way, thanks to JMANOFNVS for the suggestion about the T- splitter. I just wasn't aware of this little innovation.

Thanks all, you are a great bunch of guys. I think I could manage this myself now. Will let you know once its done. Any more suggestions are of course welcome

Cheers!