SB_Jim

Connect to IP Cams w/o RJ45. Is this ill-advised?

I'm in the process of replacing my very old laptop with either a new laptop or new high-performing larger tablet style PC.

There are some which I might consider - except that they have no RJ-45 port. I still occasionally update my Hiks (a.k.a. Swann) by connecting to one of the ports on my NVR directly from my laptop. If I didn't have this direct connection ability(via the RJ-45), would that totally prevent me from even "talking" directly to my cams? I'd hate to buy something new - only to find that I just shot myself in the foot! I like that my WiFi for my laptop is on a different "network address series" than my NVR so that I can use WiFi or connect to my NVR w/o making changes to the sub-net each time.

Your ideas would be highly valued, and thanks in advance.

Some new notebooks have RJ45 network connection. Most new ultrabooks and tablets do not have RJ45-network connection, so a USB dongle will be needed...

Hello,

Are you infering that an adaptor from USB to RJ-45 exists, and that this would be an acceptable means of connecting to my NVR? Is it even possible to connect to my NVR w/o a hardwire connection?

Thx!

Cool - Thx AK357. I never knew that these existed. Now I'm a bit further on my search for a replacement laptop / 2-in-1.

And, I'm still wondering whether or not it's essentially impossible to connect to my NVR by any other means than hardwired....

SB_Jim

Cool - Thx AK357. I never knew that these existed. Now I'm a bit further on my search for a replacement laptop / 2-in-1.

And, I'm still wondering whether or not it's essentially impossible to connect to my NVR by any other means than hardwired....

SB_Jim

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&N=4294954920+4294966565&cat=WinBook-%3a-Tablets-%3a-iPads-%26-Tablets-%3a-Computers-%3a-Micro-Center